HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Into the great wide open

First off, 70's inspired sound usually come off dated no matter how great the material is. This sound, however, despite its obvious influence, has something about it that doesn't come off old or dated. There is a careful modern production despite an all 70's vintage sound, going all in with live in the studio-ish and all that. That is a great achievement in itself.

What really amaze me with this record would be the sonics in surround. Listening to this with closed eyes almost take me to those peculiar places that Dark Side Of The Moon does at times, the dynamics and mixing are all over the place without getting messy but even more impressive is how natural the instruments sound.

10. Easy.

Last edited:
I just found this quote while reading about this album and really liked it:

(To Steven Wilson): 'Elaborate on what spirituality means to you.'

(Steven Wilson): 'In this context, spirituality means something that comes directly from the heart or soul without any kind of intellectual process getting in the way. When you bring in a jazz musician or any soloist used to improvisation, ideally you say “I want you to say something here. Speak in the voice of your instrument and tell us a story.” By their nature, jazz musicians don’t intellectualize what they play beforehand, and for me, that’s what makes their contributions more spiritual. That’s what I love most about jazz. It’s almost like there’s no barrier in place between you and the voice of the instrument or performer. That’s something that’s been lacking for me in a lot of my work over the last 10 years. I didn’t really go there previously because it’s not something I’m good at. I’m not a great improviser. I’m more of an architect. I like to plan things out and structure them, and then put them together. With Grace for Drowning, I was moving into the next phase of my creativity, which is a balance between me as a producer, editor or architect, and being able to draw on musicians that are more spiritual in how they approach music.

I suppose as a catch-all, you could say “spiritual” just means “done for the right reasons.” What I mean by that is there is no attempt on this album to fit the music into a specific market or genre, or appeal to the existing base, managers or record companies. I’m not suggesting I’ve ever done that, because I’m pretty much incapable of doing that. [laughs] I think I have a willful streak in me in that whatever I do, I have to do it in a way that ultimately pleases me. So, being spiritual in that sense is a need to get in touch with my own soul to fulfill my own creative needs.

The music industry is full of people that are clearly not being fulfilled by their work. They do things for reasons that are perhaps different from when they started or when they first fell in love with the whole creative process. There are plenty of people doing it for the same reason as when they fell in love with music—I’m not suggesting I’m unique in that respect. But the industry all too often crushes people into thinking they have to make music to please other people. That situation is the antithesis of spiritual music. The bottom line is spirituality means something that touches you and can touch other people as well. It’s the idea that art is a kind of mirror. You create something in a very selfish way and then when you release it into the world, it becomes a mirror. If other people see themselves reflected back in what you’re doing, then there is a sense of touching people. Touching people means making people understand that they’re not alone in feeling the emotions they’re feeling. In that sense, spiritual music is about making people feel they are part of a collective consciousness. None of the things we feel in this world are unique to us, no matter how bad or good they may feel.'

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html

Last edited:
Haha - all the times, on this site that I've written "it ain't no Raven," concerning other albums. And I've never rated it until today!

My opinion of this album has cooled a bit. From a 10 to a 9.7. So, rounding up to 10.

It's a beautiful work. I actually think SW's subsequent records have caused my overall opinion of his work to cool some.
H.C.E. is great, but a bit of a drop-off, for me. More pop, less fusiony weirdness. 4 1/2, uh, pretty good, I guess. To the Bone, just not interested.

I'll always have FoaBP and Raven though! And some other really good ones. Grace, Insurgentes, The Incident, the live stuff, etc.

Last edited:
For me, this is Steven Wilson's peak album. I really like H.C.E. quite a bit, but this is his zenith, in my opinion. I personally find 'Bone' to be way, way too pop and forgettable for my tastes. That particular album actually abated my desire to listen to any of his music at all for quite a while, but coming back around, this album is really astounding to me. As a huge prog-fan, this album is right up there for me. :smokin:SB

I'll admit I never knew about Steven Wilson before I joined this site. In fact that's true for quite a few others as well. I saw him in London at the Albert Hall recently, this year. Just completely fantastic, even got my brother to go along as he is a new fan. I am lucky to own all his releases in surround on his own and Porcupine Tree. As I've spent the last three years, quite literally, spending a lot of money in building my surround collection, of which I will vote on over the coming weeks. Anyway back to this recording, one word, superb. Yes it's a 10.

Maybe it's my current state of mind, but the more I listen the more I appreciate this album. Yeah, maybe because of ... prior influences? Hmmm, could be, Luminol comes off part Nektar and part David Crosby. But, you ,know, I AM old.
(once again I wrote, then erased, a book) KISS!

As if my vote of 10 needs further explanation...

Nice review. I would have liked a little more mention about Alan Parsons' role as the recording engineer. I think the sonics on Raven top everything else Steven has done and this has to be in large part due to Parsons' involvement.

Nice review. I would have liked a little more mention about Alan Parsons' role as the recording engineer. I think the sonics on Raven top everything else Steven has done and this has to be in large part due to Parsons' involvement.
I definitely intended more commentary on that! Sometimes my brain turns to mush when the record light goes on!
Thanks for watching!

Thanks edisonbaggins for the Uk review! you were spot on about the 5.1 mixes. But did you say that the show was 2 hours??? :unsure:

I voted 10. One of the first Blu Ray surrounds I bought and guess who told me to buy it? Our good frond Ralphie.
I must admit after ripped my entire collection, there are some discs that include a video that really enhances the experience. It's nice to click and play of course, I listen to much more than before, BUT this disc is much better with video and music together.

I voted 10. One of the first Blu Ray surrounds I bought and guess who told me to buy it? Our good frond Ralphie.
I must admit after ripped my entire collection, there are some discs that include a video that really enhances the experience. It's nice to click and play of course, I listen to much more than before, BUT this disc is much better with video and music together.
You could always rip it to MKV and play back the video.

You could always rip it to MKV and play back the video.
Yeah Luv, I have always thought about that but sick of ripping, even though I ripped 12 SACD's today.
I hate ripping Blu Rays, the most difficult and temperamental of all even though I had 100% success.
I played the ripped Blu Ray of the recent Music From Big Pink and every other track was great surround and almost no surround. I need to pull that disc out and listen to the actual disc to see if something went wrong with rip. I get torn between selling the hard discs, haven't sold any yet, but even sold at half price that would be a chunk of change. I'll just keep on thinking.

Back