More Tull in 5.1 coming in 2013?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
This is a few months old so not new, but I thought it would be of some interest here ;)

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tour&thread=2132&page=6#35051

A couple of years ago, reissued "Aqualung" with Steven Wilson remix. What else have you worked with him?

He was also responsible for the remix of "Thick As A Brick" original and the sequel mixed.
Last year we were doing the remixes "Benefit", "A Passion Play" and tapes "Chateau d'Isaster",
the original recordings of that album we did not finish in 1973, never completed.
We intend to launch these reissues this year, with remixes in 5.1. It was fun to review that material.

Read more: http://jethrotull.proboards.com/ind...d=tour&thread=2132&page=6#35051#ixzz2P7VQ6VQ3

I was never very into Passion Play back when it came out but I think a little of that SW magic would give it a new life, much like his work on KC Lizard. I'd buy it as long as it's not a big expensive box - which I seriously doubt they'd do for that particular album. The Chateau sessions stuff interests me as well. I hope they keep going on these - at least get to Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses.

I was never very into Passion Play back when it came out but I think a little of that SW magic would give it a new life, much like his work on KC Lizard. I'd buy it as long as it's not a big expensive box - which I seriously doubt they'd do for that particular album. The Chateau sessions stuff interests me as well. I hope they keep going on these - at least get to Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses.

Could be wishful thinking on my part but I hope the more affordable packaging of Thick as a Brick is a statement of future direction for these anniversary re-mixes.

I'm pretty sure I would buy any Tull in 5.1 Besides the classics I also think that some of the "later" albums like "Broadsword" and "Crest of a Knave" would translate wonderfully well to surround.

Broadsword would be fantastic in 5.1.

Could be wishful thinking on my part but I hope the more affordable packaging of Thick as a Brick is a statement of future direction for these anniversary re-mixes.

I'm pretty sure I would buy any Tull in 5.1 Besides the classics I also think that some of the "later" albums like "Broadsword" and "Crest of a Knave" would translate wonderfully well to surround.

would be even better if they were just to come in CD-sized digipackaging..! ;) that Thick As A Book has no logical place alongside the majority of my Hi-Rez/surround things.

that said, neither does the Aqualung LP/BD/DVD set... although at least it fits alongside all the other LP-sized boxes/sets with surround in them that I have (PF Immersion x 2, Quadrophenia, Layla, Ziggy, Ten Years After..)

I just stack TaaB with my music DVDs. I like to collect unusual packaging for music releases so get used to finding homes for odd sizes! The special edition of the Kompendium album is a real oddball - I don't have anything else like that! (Great album though)

I just stack TaaB with my music DVDs. I like to collect unusual packaging for music releases so get used to finding homes for odd sizes! The special edition of the Kompendium album is a real oddball - I don't have anything else like that! (Great album though)

that's where my TAAB CD/DVD book is too..
..it just doesn't sit right next to "Take That The Ultimate Collection" :ugham:

I eagerly await both Benefit and A Passion Play in surround. High-res this time, Ian, if you please.

as long as they keep it out of a effin box! Still trying to land Aqualung BD. The other BD was awful. I want the old tull stuff.

same here, cant find the effing BD ll alone anywhere... no way im buying the effing box set... i like aqualung but not that much

I have to say that back when i first got into surround sound i said how cool would it be to have some TULL in surround? Ive been a big fan for years and have seen them many times live including the Passion Play Tour! When i found out Aqualung was to be released i could never imagine how great that turned out! crank it up and its a whole new album, when the bass kicks in in the chorus of Cross Eyed Mary its mind blowing! Thick as a Brick was another treat but didnt quite have the punch and kick that Aqualung had. Could it be the Blu ray ? and now Passion Play ,one of my all time Fav's ! Benefit ...... its like a TULL overload! I just hope they keep on going there are many great albums left like Stand up, War Child, Songs From The Wood,Heavy Horses and Too Old To R&R ! The bonus material on Aqualung Like Up The Pool and Lifes A long Song never sounded so good !
Hurrah !

You may or may not have the capability to play CD-4 LP's or Quad 8's, but both Aqualung and War Child came out in these surround formats in the '70's.
$T2eC16Z,!y8E9s2flCSCBQ20pdnGZw~~60_35.JPG
$(KGrHqV,!g8E-5kNcR1qBP9iEphYsw~~60_35.JPG

Thats Cool i joined the band wagon when DTS and 5.1 on optical disk came out so im a late bloomer !

I eagerly await both Benefit and A Passion Play in surround. High-res this time, Ian, if you please.

Folks - unfortunately the whole EMI being bought up by Universal / Warner Bros situation has at the very least substantially delayed the release of these remixes (and one other non-progressive early 70's album I did a year ago for the label) - I hope it will only be a temporary delay, but until the dust settles on these buyouts it's difficult to predict when / if they might come out. Sorry to not have better news.

SW

Folks - unfortunately the whole EMI being bought up by Universal / Warner Bros situation has at the very least substantially delayed the release of these remixes (and one other non-progressive early 70's album I did a year ago for the label) - I hope it will only be a temporary delay, but until the dust settles on these buyouts it's difficult to predict when / if they might come out. Sorry to not have better news.

SW

Thanks for the update Steven. Wish we could know what that other non-progressive early 70s album is. Until then, I hope there's a way that non-vinyl owners (and those of us not in the UK) will be able to hear your upcoming stereo remix of "Teacher" from the new Record Store Day EP. :)

SW

Bad news indeed, but thanks for the clarification. In the general scheme of things I would prefer to know, rather than waiting around wondering what had happened to them.

GOOD NEWS! (sort of)

A new Ian Anderson interview has been posted here:http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/06/19/something-else-interview-ian-anderson-of-jethro-tull/

The paragraph of interest for us:
NICK DERISO: What’s next in the reissue series being overseen by Steven Wilson, which has also yielded a sparkling new anniversary edition of Aqualung?
IAN ANDERSON: There are actually three waiting in the wings for release, which Steven did last year. They’re all mastered and finished, and waiting to roll. The (1970) Benefit album comes out in October. Coming next in 2014 will be (1973′s) A Passion Play and Chateau d’Isaster Tapes (originally released as Disc 1 of Nightcap in 1993). That’s according to EMI, if they are still in business — which, of course, they won’t be. The material will be with Warner Bros. by then, and presumably they will honor the commitment to release it in remastered form. It would be silly not to, because there’s a profit margin in doing it, so I can be reasonably confident those things will see the light of day.

So "Benefit" in October, followed by "A Passion Play" in 2014? Seems a bit backwards then what I might have expected, since this year is the 40th anniversary of APP, but I don't care as much when it comes out as long as it comes out! :)

Back