Looking forward to 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
It's the end of one year and very close to the beginning of another, so it's time for another thread of fun predictions and speculations for the new year!
This thread will focus on possible releases of classic album remixes for 2024, and another thread will follow concerning potential new releases for 2024!

-STEVEN WILSON REMIXES:
-TEARS FOR FEARS: My favorite SDE Surround Sound Series release of 2023 was the fantastic remixed edition of Tears For Fears' debut album "The Hurting". My hope for 2024 is that it brings us a (delayed) 30th anniversary edition of their 1993 album "Elemental", which has always been a favorite of mine. Another potential TFF release for 2024 could be a 20th anniversary edition of the band's reunion album "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending" which features some amazing songs such as "Secret World".​
-GENTLE GIANT: Following on from 2023's remixed release of "Interview", it's expected that the next remix from Gentle Giant will be 1977's "The Missing Piece", and as always, these releases combine fantastic remixes from SW with stellar visuals for a fantastic listening and viewing experience!​
-XTC: One of my favorite releases of 2023 as it was for a lot of QQ members was the long-awaited return of the XTC Surround Sound Series with a fabulous reissue of the album "The Big Express" newly remixed by SW in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos. Given the unpredictability of their tape situation, it's not known yet if we will get another remix for 2024, but I'm certainly hoping the tapes turn up for either "English Settlement" or "Mummer" so we can finally enjoy those albums in beautiful surround sound.​
-ULTRAVOX: I predict that 2024 will see the release of a remixed and expanded edition of the album "Lament" for its 40th anniversary, especially since it features the band's mega hit "Dancing with Tears in my Eyes".​
-JETHRO TULL: 2023 saw the release of the biggest Jethro Tull reissue to date with an 8 disc set of "Broadsword and the Beast" which featured loads of surround sound content mixed by SW. It appears that one release for 2024 will be an expanded and remixed edition of the live album "Bursting Out" which will hopefully contain surround sound mixes. Apart from that, it's not known at this time if SW will remix any more Jethro Tull albums, but next year is the 40th anniversary for the album "Under Wraps", so that would be the other likely release for next year.​
-ABC: One of the best SDE Surround Sound Series releases for 2023 was a (delayed) 40th anniversary remix of the album "The Lexicon of Love", and I certainly hope that SW will continue remixing ABC albums, continuing with a new remix of 1983's "Beauty Stab".​
-SUEDE: Speaking of the SDE Surround Sound Series, one of the biggest surprises this year from them was SW's remix of the self-titled album from the band Suede for its 30th anniversary. One would hope that 2024 brings us a remixed edition of 1994's "Dog Man Star" for its 30th anniversary.​
-NEW ATMOS REMIXES OF PREVIOUS SW REMIXES:​
-KING CRIMSON: This year we were treated to a compact but still very thorough 50th anniversary edition of "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" complete with new remixes from SW in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos. My prediction for 2024 will be new 50th anniversary editions of both "Starless and Bible Black" and (especially) "Red" that should have at least new Dolby Atmos mixes to compliment the previous stereo and 5.1 surround remixes.​
-YES: A QQ favorite release for 2023 consisted of a new super deluxe edition of "The Yes Album" that contained a new Dolby Atmos mix from SW. If they continue this super deluxe edition series, then I predict a super deluxe edition of "Fragile" for 2024 that will feature a new Dolby Atmos mix from SW alongside the previous stereo & 5.1 surround remixes.​
-Finally is there any hope we can finally get some more remixes from Roxy Music? Pretty please?​
-PINK FLOYD: 2023 was all about the 50th anniversary edition of "Dark Side of the Moon" which was celebrated with a brand new Dolby Atmos remix of the album. For 2024, I think we will finally get surround sound remixes in both 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos of the classic 1979 album "The Wall". I honestly don't think there's anything else that Pink Floyd could release that would not be treading on similar territory that they have already explored over the last 10 years of reissues.
-ESOTERIC RECORDINGS:
-ALAN PARSONS PROJECT: One release that I am really hoping for in 2024 is an expanded and remixed edition of the album "I Robot" which would of course include a new 5.1 surround mix of the album from Alan Parsons himself. It's generally regarded to be one of the Project's best albums.​
-HAWKWIND: 2023 saw lots of great Hawkwind releases in surround sound including a multi-album box set entitled "Days of the Underground" and a 50th anniversary release of the album "Space Ritual" with the latter being remixed by our wonderful friend @Stephen W Tayler. It's now been confirmed that SWT has also remixed 1971's "In Search of Space" in both stereo & 5.1 surround and a release is expected in 2024!​
-NEKTAR: 2023 saw the release of a 50th anniversary edition of "Remember the Future", complete with new stereo & 5.1 surround remixes of the album alongside the original 1973 Quadraphonic mix. One would hope that for 2024 we will get a 50th anniversary edition of the 1974 album "Down to Earth" complete with new stereo & 5.1 surround remixes alongside the original 1974 Quadraphonic mix, which has never been reissued in the modern era!​
-BEATLES: It appears the Beatles as a group (along with their record label Apple) have given up on Blu-Ray audio releases altogether, but thankfully one Beatle (or rather that Beatle's estate) is moving forward with what appears to be a superb release for 2024! It's already been confirmed that 2024 will see the release of a super deluxe edition of John Lennon's 1973 album "Mind Games", remixed in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos. The release will consist of 6 CDs and 2 Blu-Ray audio discs, so there should be lots of great content to enjoy with this release!
-MARILLION: Now that the series of EMI-era reissues has come to a close, it's now expected that Marillion will continue these deluxe edition reissues with new sets focusing on the post-EMI albums beginning with a deluxe edition of 1997's "This Strange Engine", which should be remixed in stereo & 5.1 surround by the band's resident producer/engineer Michael Hunter.
-FISH: Speaking of Marilliion, their original lead singer Fish released a new remixed edition of the album "13th Star" in 2023, and it's already known that he's planning to release remixed and expanded editions of the albums "Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors" and "Internal Exile" in 2024.​
-FRANK ZAPPA: One of the best releases of 2023 was a 50th anniversary edition of "Over-nite Sensation" that featured brand new 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos remixes alongside the original 1973 Quadraphonic mix. I fully predict that 2024 will see the release of a 50th anniversary edition of the follow up album "Apostrophe" and this new edition should also include new 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos remixes alongside the original 1974 Quadraphonic mix.
-RUSH: It's expected that RUSH will continue their 40th anniversary reissue series with a 40th anniversary edition of 1984's "Grace Under Pressure" which would feature new remixes of the album in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos from their engineer Richard Chycki.
-THE MOODY BLUES: An unexpected release of 2023 was the release of a newly remixed and expanded edition of "To Our Children's Children's Children" which was remixed by Stephen W Tayler, and I hope that SWT will be able to remix more Moodies albums that will see a release in the coming year. Predictions would be for either 1969's "On the Threshold of a Dream" or 1970's "A Question of Balance".
-QUADIO: One of the biggest surprises and biggest hits of 2023 was the triumphant return of QUADIO, thanks to our amazing Quad ambassador @ForagingRhino. New releases are already scheduled for the beginning of the year in January of 2024, but beyond that, it's too hard to predict what other releases will follow throughout the rest of the year, but usually these releases are classic Quad titles from the WEA catalogue.
-SDE SURROUND SOUND SERIES: Thanks to the amazing work of @PaulatSDE we were treated to more incredible SDE surround sound series releases throughout 2023, and the first couple of releases are already scheduled for the first quarter of 2024 with hopefully more great surprises to follow during the rest of the year. One such release I would love would be a 50th anniversary remixed edition of Mike Oldfield's "Hergest Ridge" to follow on from the amazing SDE release this year of "Tubular Bells".
-THIN LIZZY: A big surprise this year in surround sound was the release of a 50th anniversary edition of the album "Vagabonds of the Western World". If they continue with such releases going forward, maybe we'll see a 50th anniversary edition of "Nightlife" in 2024.

So that's basically what we could potentially get as far as classic album remixes in 2024. Again there will be another thread coming soon looking at potential new album releases in surround sound for 2024.

:)

Nice work! I've got a few possible additions...

-TEARS FOR FEARS: Under the "NEW ATMOS REMIXES OF PREVIOUS SW REMIXES" section, I would add The Seeds Of Love (Atmos mix already finished) and Songs From The Big Chair. I think we might see these--hopefully as part of the SDE Blu-Ray series--out before Elemental or Happy Ending.
-AMBROSIA: Alan Parsons has reportedly already mixed their 1975 self-titled album and 1976's Somewhere I've Never Travelled in 5.1 surround, hopefully these will be released sometime in 2024.
-AEROSMITH: Steven Tyler recently posted on social media about an upcoming remix of the band's 1973 debut album. I wonder if an Atmos mix is in the cards as well?
-THE BAND: New Dolby Atmos mixes of 1968's Music From Big Pink and 1969's self-titled album by Bob Clearmountain quietly appeared on the streaming services in 2023, so I assume 1970's Stage Fright is also due for an Atmos upgrade in 2024 (though it's unknown if any of these will be issued on Blu-Ray).
-JONI MITCHELL: New Dolby Atmos mixes of The Asylum Albums (1972-75) compilation appeared on the streaming services at around the same time as the last archival box set in late 2022. As such, I'm hopeful the albums covered by the next archives release (starting with 1976's Hejira) will receive the Atmos treatment as well.
-GRATEFUL DEAD: One of the best physical releases of late was Rhino's standalone Blu-Ray of Van Morrison's Moondance, containing both the new Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix and Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 surround mix. It would be amazing to see a similar single-disc Blu-Ray edition of The Dead's American Beauty, containing the 2022 Steven Wilson Atmos mix as well as the out-of-print 2001 Mickey Hart 5.1 surround sound mix.
-ROXY MUSIC/BRYAN FERRY: Bob Clearmountain has reportedly already remixed 1982's Avalon and 1985's Boys and Girls in Dolby Atmos, with both titles likely to hit the streaming services in 2024. One or both of these titles would be amazing candidates for the SDE surround series, as a Blu-Ray could also include the long out-of-print and desirable 5.1 surround mixes that were previously released on SACD.
-TOM PETTY: 1979's Damn The Torpedoes celebrates its 45th anniversary in 2024. Seeing as several key songs from that album have already been remixed in Dolby Atmos by Ryan Ulyate for the greatest hits compilation ("Refugee", "Here Comes My Girl",etc), could we end up seeing an Atmos mix of the entire album in 2024?
-NILE RODGERS: This is maybe a bit of a stretch, but--seeing as a large chunk of Nile's discography has recently been remixed in Dolby Atmos (first five Chic albums, Sister Sledge's We Are Family, and Diana Ross' Diana) reportedly with his oversight--could we dare to dream for an Atmos mix of David Bowie's Let Dance by either Steven Wilson or Bob Clearmountain? I know the 40th anniversary recently passed, but that hasn't stopped other reissues.
-SONY JAPAN: The Quadraphonic SACD series continued this year with Bloomfield Kooper & Stills’ Super Session, Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender, and Santana's Welcome. I imagine 1974's Borboletta is on the docket for next year, hopefully along with some other unexpected titles from the CBS quad archives (for instance, Johnny Winter's Saints & Sinners celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2024).

Nice work! I've got a few possible additions...

-TEARS FOR FEARS: Under the "NEW ATMOS REMIXES OF PREVIOUS SW REMIXES" section, I would add The Seeds Of Love (Atmos mix already finished) and Songs From The Big Chair. I think we might see these--hopefully as part of the SDE Blu-Ray series--out before Elemental or Happy Ending.
I seem to recall some buzz around Seeds getting a dedicated single-disc bluray release at some point. The source of that was never verified iirc.

-AMBROSIA: Alan Parsons has reportedly already mixed their 1975 self-titled album and 1976's Somewhere I've Never Travelled in 5.1 surround, hopefully these will be released sometime in 2024.
Minor detail; AP said the transfers had been made and delivered, the mixing to be done shortly for release in 2024.

Not to forget, that Steven Wilson mixed already Tears for Fears - Seeds of Love in Atmos, it's good candidate either for #SDE. Further, looks ahead for the new Pineapple Thief and the first release in Atmos by Big Big Train. Further we will see what is coming up apart from Paul's #SDE two we knew already, it's not every one cup of tea, Def Leppard and Paul Young.

If Parsons could manage to do both I Robot and Pyramid in Atmos, it would make my year (y)

And the first 7 Moodies albums deserve Atmos treatment as well.
Amen to that. On The Threshold of a Dream & A Question of Balance , I Robot are just screaming to be mixed in Atmos. Pyramid would be nice as well.
However I don't hold out much hope for any of Parson's mixing to be done for Atmos. We'll see.

I'm hoping The Who , can continue with their surround output ,with..
LIVE AT LEEDS ..but it's a big wish of mine.

+1 for any more David Bowie albums by Tony Visconti ...we did get a bluray issue of the music film Ziggy Stardust...how about Low , which was said to be mixed in 5.1...and add Heroes , Diamond Dogs and any 1970's albums.

With the release in 5.1 and Atmos and quad it would be a wonderful year to see Chris Kimsey (or SW or SWT) tackle the Ten Years After catalogue.

There are always one or 2 big surprises for release so let them be releases...of the early works of Procol Harum.

Two other artists which need releases in surround are :
THE CARS , Heartbeat City , Candy O .

Van Halen ..1984 and their debut.

Bob Dylan was a surprise this year and I hope we see another of his releases, and maybe his 2 quads Desire and Planet Waves.

Or maybe , just maybe....Jimmy Page will see to one or more issues of the first four Led Zeppelin studio albums.

And perhaps (behind the scenes ) we may see something from Roxy Music such as their 2nd album..For Your Pleasure as momentum on the catalogue

Always silent about surround..... , but that could change if we can get some of the early ELO albums via Jeff Lynne.

Anyway I look at these proposals, and most surely are wishful , it sure would be nice to influence the artists in accepting a Surround Renaissance of their legacy works .

-fizzy

Back