Steven Wilson Will In Absentia or Deadwing be Reissued?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, now that Steven/Kscope have the rights, hopefully the long-anticipated box set(s) complete with B-sides and lossless surround will finally be realized.

It is still one of the bizarre thing about these two ES mixes and what we finally got.
The crazy thing is most classic ES mixes do have fairly flat mastering but these PT ones had more compression added into mastering or was it done in mixing as well.
When did SW change his own thought process to do more flat transfers as the early PT stuff had more compression to it and some point he changed.
For me the ES mixes were well done but to much compression on these 2 is what I didn't like.

I was trying to look back for some clues and could only find these 2 articles. One thing I got out of reading back on this is thank goodness the ES mix was done on 'In Absentia' as it got SW into thinking about doing surround himself and look at all the treasures we have since then done by SW.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...ristling-stereo-porcupine-trees-steven-wilson

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/steven-wilson-getting-surrounded-music

Lossless surround was always on the discs, wasnt it?
The standalone DVD-Audio releases of both albums had MLP surround, but I do believe there was a combo CD/DVD-Video release of Deadwing with DTS only (or DTS plus DD).
I was trying to look back for some clues and could only find these 2 articles...

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...ristling-stereo-porcupine-trees-steven-wilson
I found this mildly amusing, given what he's doing now:
But there are certain things I don't really feel the need to hear in surround - like Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. Why do it? I mean, that album was recorded with three microphones! I'm not comfortable with this idea of the surround "retrofit." I know Elliot has done some that are fantastic, but there are other people who've gone back and remixed older stuff in surround that just doesn't sound right.

The surround format needs somebody to make a record that's conceived for the format and that takes full advantage of the format, a record that will obviously appeal to the kind of people who listen to that kind of music right now - listeners who are not kids, but the thirtysomethings or fortysomethings. There's no point in having Korn in surround, really. I mean, a 14-year-old kid won't care if Korn or Britney Spears is in surround.

This is probably as good a time as any to spread the word that the center channel on the existing In Absentia surround mix is unintentionally phase inverted! You can easily correct this in software like Audacity and it sounds _SO_ much better, especially since there is quite a bit of bass present in the center channel that no longer cancels out with the sub. Credit goes to "dtfreak05" for the discovery, thanks!

Reference:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ferent-dvd-a-masterings.287258/#post-14266197

This is probably as good a time as any to spread the word that the center channel on the existing In Absentia surround mix is unintentionally phase inverted! You can easily correct this in software like Audacity and it sounds _SO_ much better, especially since there is quite a bit of bass present in the center channel that no longer cancels out with the sub. Credit goes to "dtfreak05" for the discovery, thanks!

Reference:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ferent-dvd-a-masterings.287258/#post-14266197

I just checked the first couple of tracks in Audacity and it appears that you are correct. May have to invert it soon and compare. I'm sure it will sound much better. Thanks!

WOW!!

No wonder the In Absentia 5.1 mix sounded so lacking in bass (I've always believed it). I'll have to rip it and try inverting the phase of the center channel. For me, I always put it down to my system being 5.0, with no sub - even though I route the sub signal to the front's and 99% of other discs are fine.

Reference:

Thank you Sir, I just ran my flacs through Audacity and I'll eat my shoes if the original center isn't out of fase. Tons of bass now :banana:

Reference:

Whoa! How cool is that!!

Thanks for sharing, man.

How do I do this in Audacity? Is Effect > Invert the right option?

Whoa! How cool is that!!

Thanks for sharing, man.

Yes that's right. Just make sure that only the center channel is selected when you do that (should be third from the top).

Also prior to that you need to setup Audacity to export multichannel audio, then you should be good to go.

Edit -> Preferences... -> Import/Export -> "When exporting tracks to an audio file" -> Choose "Use custom mix"

Whoa! How cool is that!!

Thanks for sharing, man.

Yep, click/highlight the third track (Center) then Effect > Invert. Then File > Export Audio. Doing it right now myself.

'I don't know how, you were inverted, No one alerted you' :p

Edit: Hatchling beat me to it. Thanks again man! :upthumb

Awesome, thanks guys! I remember inverting Opeth a few years ago, but couldn't remember if that was the right command. :)

I love Audacity, use it all the time... Such an awesome program!

Reference:

Thanks for this information! I was always disappointed with how thin and bass shy the 5.1 mix sounds compared to the stereo mix. With this fix, the 5.1 sounds amazing.

I noticed while inverting in Audacity the LFE channel looks very low too (which may also explain any perceived lack of bass).

I noticed while inverting in Audacity the LFE channel looks very low too (which may also explain any perceived lack of bass).

I noticed that too, but after inverting the center on all tracks and doing a quick A/B comparison of several tracks with it really cranked up, for whatever reason, there is a lot more bass with considerably more punch and definition. I wouldn't have thought that there would be much bass in the center channel. Not only the bass, but also just the general overall sound quality and the 3D surround field seem much more cohesive. I guess that inverted center channel really wreaked havoc on all aspects of the sound, because it sounds so much better in every way!

I noticed that too, but after inverting the center on all tracks and doing a quick A/B comparison of several tracks with it really cranked up, for whatever reason, there is a lot more bass with considerably more punch and definition. I wouldn't have thought that there would be much bass in the center channel. Not only the bass, but also just the general overall sound quality and the 3D surround field seem much more cohesive. I guess that inverted center channel really wreaked havoc on all aspects of the sound, because it sounds so much better in every way!

I agree with this. I also noticed the improved soundfield along with the dramatically improved bass. This is probably one of my favorite surround titles now. It will be interesting to see what Steven does if this gets re-issued next year on Blu-ray. I wonder if he'll create a new mix, or if he will just increase the dynamics of the existing Elliot Scheiner one. I personally love the use of the surround channels in this mix.

Back