Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was to pick a Gilbert O'Sullivan track it would be Get Down. Or maybe even Ooh Baby.

And not his biggest hit that still gets airplay? Ok But was Alone Again mixed to quad? I'm not sure now that I think about it.

Ok done, so how is this for one hell of a Quad 70s Super Spectacular Various Artists Hits demo disc?

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again Naturally
Davis Essex - Rock On
Rick Derringer - Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo
Carly Simon - Legend in Your Own Time or another hit
James Taylor - Mexico or How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Loggins and Messina - one of the big hits
Bette Midler - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World
Eagles - One of these Nights or Lyin' Eyes
Doobie Brothers - Black Water or China Grove
Chase - Get it On
Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors or The Most Beautiful Girl
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden
Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein or Free Ride
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Chicago - Saturday in the Park or Just You and Me
Joni Mitchell - Free Man in Paris
Tommy James and the Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion or Sweet Cherry Wine
Grass Roots - Temptation Eyes
New Seekers - I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing

and just in case the Gilbert O'Sullivan choice was never mixed to quad
Aretha Franklin - Day Dreaming
--------------------------------------------------
alt cuts if needed due to licensing restrictions could be
Barbra Streisand - Stoney End or Where You Lead
or
Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
or
Santana - Black Magic Woman

And not his biggest hit that still gets airplay? Ok But was Alone Again mixed to quad? I'm not sure now that I think about it.

A bit too laid back. And not his biggest hit. If you check Wikipedia, among the 5 countries listed Get Down scored 1,1,7,3,3 for a avg chart position of 3 and Alone Again 3,2,1,1,18 for an average chart position of 5.

I am sure that multiple gates are open, but just remember that every title that WEA released in quad is not necessarily a worthy title to release in 2015 on SACD in limited quantities by a specialty label. We all love the quad stuff but quite frankly, some of the stuff released were real head scratchers. I remember "back in the day" going "Why release this title when the one before or after it was a much better album". And I remember doing it a lot.

AF has to carefully select which titles of the lot they are offered will actually have a market and sell well. Bottom line is always profitability, and putting out a title that only a handful of folks will appreciate is not going to keep them around long. So don't hold your breath waiting for quad era bombs like "Trouble in Paradise" or "Waitress in a Donut Shop" to appear on an AF SACD, even if they are offered up to them.

Waitress In A Donut Shop was recently reissued by another company. So that is not likely to come out as a Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity.
But there are some listeners who have requested that.

Waitress In A Donut Shop was recently reissued by another company. So that is not likely to come out as a Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity.
But there are some listeners who have requested that.

Sometimes we get lucky!

You wanna kill the AF quad series dead in its' tracks?---Put out Gilbert O'Sullivan. Sheesh.

You wanna kill the AF quad series dead in its' tracks?---Put out Gilbert O'Sullivan. Sheesh.

Since Marshall Blonstein at Audio Fidelity is primarily a Rock fan, I wouldn't bet any money on a Gilbert O' Sullivan Multichannel SACD from AF.
Not to mention that the album rights are likely still controlled by Universal Music.

A 1 (or 2...) Hit Wonders compilation of the more poppy 70's quad would be great....... I could see "Get Down", a Three Dog Night tune, Captain and Toenail, Roberta Flack, BTO, Frankenstein, Lynn and Charlie for country variety, a Spinners hit......
I'd buy that and it wouldn't interfere with full LP presentations (much...). Of course, the licensing and finding the sources would be impossible, but we can dream.

A 1 (or 2...) Hit Wonders compilation of the more poppy 70's quad would be great....... I could see "Get Down", a Three Dog Night tune, Captain and Toenail, Roberta Flack, BTO, Frankenstein, Lynn and Charlie for country variety, a Spinners hit......
I'd buy that and it wouldn't interfere with full LP presentations (much...). Of course, the licensing and finding the sources would be impossible, but we can dream.

hahaha! Yeah, compilations would be sweet...

How about Kansas - Leftoverture? That was done over 10 yrs ago according to the drummer and original Producer. Has never been released.....

How about Kansas - Leftoverture? That was done over 10 yrs ago according to the drummer and original Producer. Has never been released.....

I contacted Jeff Glixman about this several years ago and he told me personally that this was never done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! :)

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I think AF could do well with Quad SACDs of the Bob Dylan LPs that were done in Quad and did not get a SACD release back in 2003. I'm pretty sure they'd sell well. As AF seems to have a good relationship at the moment with Sony, I feel this could have a chance to happen.

What do you think?

Hi everyone! :)

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I think AF could do well with Quad SACDs of the Bob Dylan LPs that were done in Quad and did not get a SACD release back in 2003. I'm pretty sure they'd sell well. As AF seems to have a good relationship at the moment with Sony, I feel this could have a chance to happen.

What do you think?

If they weren't reissued on CD or SACD by Sony, Mobile Fidelity, etc. that could happen.

If they weren't reissued on CD or SACD by Sony, Mobile Fidelity, etc. that could happen.
Planet Waves please... It got re-issued in 2003 in SACD stereo, but it must be time for a re-issue...

Tell me in your opinion, if a title has been reissued in Stereo, but the Quad mix hasn't, could it still be possible for a label to agree to a reissue in order for the latter to be issued for the first time?

Tell me in your opinion, if a title has been reissued in Stereo, but the Quad mix hasn't, could it still be possible for a label to agree to a reissue in order for the latter to be issued for the first time?

FYI - Thats already happened with the Blood Sweat and Tears self titled album..

If it will sell (well) is the issue.. (I believe)

Back