Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope they cancel 'em if they aren't quad. Judy Collins in stereo would be a stiff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Judy Collins would be only the second time Audio Fidelity has gone back and released something that was previously on DCC.
The first was Pet Sounds.

Here's hoping Ringo is the third

Just what I need, a THIRD stereo audiophile copy of Sittin' In. I already own the silver MFSL & the Mastersound.:rolleyes:

[Here's hoping Ringo is the third]

A more realistic wish would be Court & Spark, the best quad mix of them all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Judy Collins would be only the second time Audio Fidelity has gone back and released something that was previously on DCC.
The first was Pet Sounds.

Here's hoping Ringo is the third
That would sure bring down the value of the Ringo DCC, especially if they obtained the quad mix.

I'd also love both Joni vintage quads, plus the 5.1 versions of Blue and Hejira that Larry Klein allegedly mixed that lay dormant. I'd add in all of the Motown Japanese quads and Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers and 'The Worst Of'. Graham Central Station's quads would be nice too. I've been more than happy to buy every release, I've felt very spoilt so far. But if I was being very left field, I'd ask for the Jerry Reed quads, indulgent but I would love to hear them in pristine SACD surround!

I am sure that multiple gates are open, but just remember that every title that WEA released in quad is not necessarily a worthy title to release in 2015 on SACD in limited quantities by a specialty label. We all love the quad stuff but quite frankly, some of the stuff released were real head scratchers. I remember "back in the day" going "Why release this title when the one before or after it was a much better album". And I remember doing it a lot.

AF has to carefully select which titles of the lot they are offered will actually have a market and sell well. Bottom line is always profitability, and putting out a title that only a handful of folks will appreciate is not going to keep them around long. So don't hold your breath waiting for quad era bombs like "Trouble in Paradise" or "Waitress in a Donut Shop" to appear on an AF SACD, even if they are offered up to them.

I am sure that multiple gates are open, but just remember that every title that WEA released in quad is not necessarily a worthy title to release in 2015 on SACD in limited quantities by a specialty label. We all love the quad stuff but quite frankly, some of the stuff released were real head scratchers. I remember "back in the day" going "Why release this title when the one before or after it was a much better album". And I remember doing it a lot.

AF has to carefully select which titles of the lot they are offered will actually have a market and sell well. Bottom line is always profitability, and putting out a title that only a handful of folks will appreciate is not going to keep them around long. So don't hold your breath waiting for quad era bombs like "Trouble in Paradise" or "Waitress in a Donut Shop" to appear on an AF SACD, even if they are offered up to them.

Exactly, and on the other hand, the hottest tiles seem to be recently issued as SACD by various other companies. I just saw that Donny Hathaway - "Extensions of a Man" is out recently on Japanese SACD. Not that this one is a sure-fire blockbuster, but so many great recordings are coming out right about now without their quad layer by other companies.

I am not even convinced that "Sail Away" or Good Old Boys" would move units at this point, and they are Randy's very finest works (that include fine 70s quad mixes).

If AF wants to release real quality (and include a quad mix), then they are at some point going to have to bite the bullet and release something that not too long ago was already issued on SACD., and see how that effects their efforts.

But anyway, it very nice to see that the Warner Music Group is not on quad lock-down, and it's simply a case by case situation like anywhere else. I also pray that AF are holding off on a few "super-disc" type titles in order to pace themselves and offer up real surprises. Like if they got Court and Spark, and decided to issue it later, and not right in the middle of Doors, Sly, or Alice's promotional efforts. Wait until they have the right additional disc to issue as a set, like Jackson Browne or Gordon Lightfoot, something in that vein (knockout singer/songwriter album that contains a hit or two). They need the real high profile titles every now and again like the Doors and Sly discs.

I already asked Audio Fidelity about Blue Jays by Hayward and Lodge, but haven't heard lately about it. Any news there?

All this talk about Joni Mitchell. I really don't think that stuff would sell at this point. Judy Collins too. Even Emmylou Harris isn't worth anything anymore.

I'd ask for the Jerry Reed quads, indulgent but I would love to hear them in pristine SACD surround!
I would also love the Jerry Reed and Dolly Pardon quads from RCA, but I'm not holding my breath.

I already asked Audio Fidelity about Blue Jays by Hayward and Lodge, but haven't heard lately about it. Any news there?
A Universal catalog item is unlikely at this time.

If AF is taking quad masters from Elektra then how about The New Seekers - Best.... That was on Polydor in the UK but Elektra in the US, would this be problematic?

And Gilbert O'Sullivan was on MAM through Decca in the UK - If they were an independent label then who owns this material now?

While I think the losses associated with Gilbert O'Sulivan quad SACD, plus a potential stiff like a New Seekers release could bankrupt a small label like AF, I do fantasize about a various artists comp that has 20 Original Hits / 20 Original Stars (all tracks with a quad surround layer) would be cool.

Now this one would be a licensing and mastering nightmare, but you gotta admit it is a cool as hell idea!

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again Naturally
Davis Essex - Rock On
Rick Derringer - R & R Hooche Koo
Carly Simon - Legend in Your Own Time or another hit
James Taylor - Mexico or How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Loggins and Messina - one of the big hits
Bette Midler - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World
Eagles -
Doobies -
Chase - Get it On
Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors or The Most Beautiful Girl
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden
Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein or Free Ride
etc.
etc.

The New Seekers and G O'S comments were questions .....

Warner / Atlantic did a various artists CD4 comp - I wonder if this might be available to AF?

And Gilbert O'Sullivan was on MAM through Decca in the UK - If they were an independent label then who owns this material now?

I don't know who owns it off the top of my head, but Salvo have licenced and reissued/mastered loads of G O'S material in recent years.

While I think the losses associated with Gilbert O'Sulivan quad SACD, plus a potential stiff like a New Seekers release could bankrupt a small label like AF, I do fantasize about a various artists comp that has 20 Original Hits / 20 Original Stars (all tracks with a quad surround layer) would be cool.

Now this one would be a licensing and mastering nightmare, but you gotta admit it is a cool as hell idea!

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again Naturally
Davis Essex - Rock On
Rick Derringer - R & R Hooche Koo
Carly Simon - Legend in Your Own Time or another hit
James Taylor - Mexico or How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Loggins and Messina - one of the big hits
Bette Midler - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World
Eagles -
Doobies -
Chase - Get it On
Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors or The Most Beautiful Girl
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden
Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein or Free Ride
etc.
etc.

If I was to pick a Gilbert O'Sullivan track it would be Get Down. Or maybe even Ooh Baby.

Attachments

• GET_DOWN.jpg
    GET_DOWN.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 254
Back