Suggestions for Acoustic Sounds Multichannel DSD Downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibola

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Fredblue just reminded me with his post on Fourplay's "Too Much" thread: The Ojay's Ship Ahoy, can't find it anywhere at any less than outrageous.

The Ojay's Ship Ahoy, can't find it anywhere at any less than outrageous.

Ship Ahoy is available as a Stereo DSD Download from Acoustic Sounds. They haven't announced their initial round of Multichannel DSD Downloads yet, but Ship Ahoy is certainly a candidate.

WOO HOO! :p Bring it on!!! :banana:

Since the Multichannel DSD Downloads from Acoustic Sounds are still a few weeks away, there's still time to email Acoustic Sounds with your requests on which Sony, Universal and Analogue Productions 3-Channel and Multichannel SACDs you'd like to see on their Super Hi Rez site!

With the launch of Multichannel Downloads at Acoustic Sounds just a few weeks away, what albums from the Sony Music, Universal Music and Analog Productions SACD catalogs released by them on Stereo DSD Download would you want to see and buy as Multichannel titles?

The best bet will be to send them an email directly. But I'm thinking that starting this thread could be a nice way to get the possibilities discussed as well!

So, what do you think?
  • Ship Ahoy by the O' Jays?
  • The Singles by the Carpenters?
  • Kind of Blue by Miles Davis?
  • Time Out by Dave Brubeck?
  • Gaucho by Steely Dan?
  • Tapestry by Carole King?
  • Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John?
There are many Multichannel possibilities here! :)

Literally anything by a major band that hasn't been released in physical format before.

I don't particularly like bringing this up, but I would say that a good majority of people who have systems capable of multichannel DSD playback have either ripped their own SACDs or know how to get rips by less than legal means. It would be a boon for everyone involved if Acoustic Sounds could liberate some of these unreleased 5.1 mixes, or even old quad mixes that have never seen digital release.

Take the O'Jays for example - why release Ship Ahoy again? First off the SACD channel assignment is wrong (the rear channels are swapped), and there are at least 4 other O'Jays quad titles that definitely exist that have never seen digital release. Of those four titles, two of them only saw SQ LP release, so they've never even been heard by the general public in discrete form. The same goes for the Isley Brothers, why release 3+3 again when there are 4 other quad mixes, one of which (Harvest For The World) was SQ LP only, and another (The Heat Is On) has never been seen in the wild on LP or Q8.

If any of those were made available for download, I'd be the first in virtual line to pay for them. Or better yet, if Analog Productions wants to hire me as an archive research co-ordinator, I'd be even more excited.

If any of those were made available for download, I'd be the first in virtual line to pay for them. Or better yet, if Analog Productions wants to hire me as an archive research co-ordinator, I'd be even more excited.

You could always send them a note and volunteer for that assignment! :)

You could always send them a note and volunteer for that assignment! :)

I'm sure an introduction from an esteemed member of the quadraphonicquad community would go even further toward that.. ;)

I'm sure an introduction from an esteemed member of the quadraphonicquad community would go even further toward that.. ;)

My understanding is that they are working with Gus Skinas from the Super Audio Center on the Multichannel Downloads. You may have to wait and see how that works out first! :)

That's really good news. AS was one of the 1st sellers of 5.1 stuff way back when. They went off a bit on MC offerings but I'm glad they are once again selling it. I'm very spoiled with 5.1 music especially done right. It's like going backwards to listen to anything less. I have a hard time anyway.

That's really good news. AS was one of the 1st sellers of 5.1 stuff way back when. They went off a bit on MC offerings but I'm glad they are once again selling it. I'm very spoiled with 5.1 music especially done right. It's like going backwards to listen to anything less. I have a hard time anyway.

I watched some of the Live Blues Concerts over the Internet. Getting those in 5.1 Multichannel DSD will be a treat. It will also be nice to see some of the long out of print Multichannel SACD material return to market as Multichannel downloads. Lookng forward to it!

Will they be including the stereo version along with the multichannel download, or would that be a separate purchase?

Wow, this is great news! I'd personally love to see The Cars' debut finally released, and Aja as well.

I know, it's a long shot, but ANY shelved titles would be very, very welcome.

Wow, this is great news! I'd personally love to see The Cars' debut finally released, and Aja as well.

I know, it's a long shot, but ANY shelved titles would be very, very welcome.

Acoustic Sounds mentioned their Mutichannel Download plans (in the next few weeks) to a Stereophile reporter. But they haven't made a public announcement or confirmation yet. So we're all still waiting for details.

The Cars debut album has been licensed by Mobile Fidelity for release as a Hybrid Stereo SACD. So it is unlikely the other reissue labels (like Acoustic Sounds and Audio Fidelity) will be releasing that album on SACD or DSD Download anytime soon.

As I recall, there were some missing Multitrack tapes on the Aja album. Which helps to explain why Universal did not release it as a Multichannel SACD when Gaucho came out in that format. Unless the missing Aja tapes resurface, a Multichannel version of the album is unlikely - unless they do something like a Stereo to Surround upmix from the Stereo AJA tapes.

iirc, it was the Multi's for Black Cow & the title track that were missing.. there's still 5 more Aja beauties (including "Peg", "Josie" and the gorgeous "Deacon Blues"..) they could at least give us in 5.1 and upmix those other two!?

Or how about they get a bit more creative if there's other missing Steely Dan multitracks and compile a Best Of with various hits in 5.1 from all their Classic albums..

Are you with me, Doctor Wu? If so, I got the news! ;) ;)

no need to imagine, I gave it a surround spin the other night

Sigh....I just want The Cars in surround. Can you imagine Let the Good Times Roll in surround? I can!

I agree. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until the Mobile Fidelity SACD license expires before we have another shot at that one.

Has their website been down for two days or is the problem on my end? They must be losing a bunch of sales.

Back