LOOKING FOR HIGH END AV PREAMP OR RECEIVER

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About six months ago I purchased a used Emotiva UMC-200. It is the model that was introduced after the UMC-1 but before the XMC-1. In contrast to phydo's requirements, I needed a processor that was HDMI capable and also had 5.1 analog inputs. My old B&K Ref 30 did not offer the HDMI in. I needed the HDMI inputs to connect to my media player.

My comments are:
1) I cant fault the analog performance of the unit at all. While I can not claim to have the most golden set of ears, the sound it produces through its analog section is as good as any I have had.

2) I am not thrilled with the EMO-Q calibration system it is equipped with. The XMC-1 has since gone to a Dirac system, which from what I have read, operates much better.

3) I was underwhelmed to learn that there was no bass management option for multichannel PCM playback. When I ran a multichannel signal from my media player to the UMC-1 via HDMI there was no way to route low bass to the subwoofer. I would hope that this issue was remedied with the XMC-1. I got around it by keeping my outboard analog bass management unit in the system (same as I did with my B&K).

4) I was also impressed with the company. Although the UMC-200 was not made in the USA, the customer service from Emotiva was exemplary. When I first received the used UMC-200, I had issues with the trigger outputs not working properly. After contacting them, Emotiva transferred the remaining warranty and repaired it. I was less than excited about repair work itself as the unit actually had to be shipped back to the factory twice. Apparently the first service tech did not correctly address the problem. Still the customer service people tried very hard to make things right and paid for shipping costs the second time as well as arranging for a fast turnaround.

But all in all, I am happy with the purchase. My cost was only $500 compared to the $2500 or so a new XMC-1 was going for. The person who sold it to me also upgraded to an XMC-1.

When it comes time to upgrade the power amp, I will certainly be checking them out.

Back