How to make a DVD-A for Acura?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioguy

My first post here! I'm an avid fan of all types of multi-channel audio. I rip all of my discs to network hard drives at home (DVD-A, Blu-Ray, and SACD using PS3). For playback, I use mainly Foobar, but have Jriver as well.

A friend recently purchased an Acura and was showing off his audio system to me. I was very impressed that it could play DVD-A! But all he has is the Acura demo disc. I have tons of multichannel audio, ripped in FLAC and SACD ISO's and want to make some surround discs that will play on his car audio system (kind of a mix tape for demo). I've never "made" discs cause I never needed to, so this is new to me. So I have a few questions:

1. Will the Acura car audio read FLAC files off a disc? This would be the easiest approach - to just burn some multi-channel FLAC files to a CD or DVD. Somehow, I doubt it, but thought I would ask.

2. I have some old blank 4.7 GB DVD R+ RW discs (purchased years ago). Are these suitable for making Acura compatible DVD-A discs?

3. If I have to make actual DVD-A discs, I presume I have to make a DVD-A ISO. I'm sure there's a FAQ on this board which I'll find shortly.

Anything I need to watch out for? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Wow. Welcome to QQ.

First off, yes you can make DVD-A's for your car and for home players. However, you need to find software that can create a multichannel DVD-A.

Most of these programs, however, are no longer being sold. What you need to find is a program from Minnetonka called DiscWelder, which was offered in Bronze and Chrome versions. There was also a version of Wavelab that created 5.1/4.0 DVD-As.

Another program from Cirlinca called DVD-Audio Solo was discontinued last December. I am not sure about this program, as I have never used it.

Can anyone add more info for this new member? Can you still buy DVD-Audio Solo anywhere, and can you use it to make 5.1 DVD-A's?

Cirlinca still produces HD Solo Ultra for DVD-A's.

A_L

Hey there A_L! I checked the HD Solo Ultra info on their website and see no reference towards DVD-A, only blu-ray and DVD-Video (with plug-in)
If someone buys the program today (and it's not an upgrade to a version that already had DVD-A), do they still get the DVD-A capability?

If not, that would pretty much suck.

Hey there A_L! I checked the HD Solo Ultra info on their website and see no reference towards DVD-A, only blu-ray and DVD-Video (with plug-in)
If someone buys the program today (and it's not an upgrade to a version that already had DVD-A), do they still get the DVD-A capability?

If not, that would pretty much suck.

I got it a couple of weeks ago, but haven't used it yet. I'm back home on Thursday so I'll check it out.

Cirlinca only does Linear PCM, and not MLP - correct? So you'd be limited to 48/24 in 5.1?

only other choice is software that's no longer made, so illegal versions are all you'll find

One more thing to the OP: Any blank DVD-R/+R will work. There are no special discs require to make a DVD-A. (Answer to your question 2)

Thank you all for the assistance! I got a hold of discWelder Chrome (2.0.30). Installed fine. Followed the help file in creating a disc. Found it doesn't support FLAC files (all my files are FLAC). So I used Foobar and converted a few of the FLAC files to WAV. The files are all 6 channel 24x96. Everything went smooth in discWelder until I hit the red Record button. When I click "Start", I get the error message "Maximum bit rate of 9.6Mbits/sec is exceeded on track..." It then says "Use MLP encoding, reduced sample rate, or reduced sample bit length to achieve a lower bit rate".

Not sure how to solve this problem.

And one more issue: All the files I converted from FLAC to WAV were all originally ripped from DVD-A discs - except for one file. This one exception came from a Blu Ray disc and was 16x48 (6 channel). I converted this to WAV (from FLAC) and it shows "unsupported" in the file view of discWelder. Not sure why.

I really appreciate all the assistance. You guys more than put me on the right path!

Yes, you need an MLP encoder. No longer made though so you'll have to search around the web for it.

Yes, you need an MLP encoder. No longer made though so you'll have to search around the web for it.

Yep.

Also, if you have files that are ripped from commercial DVD-A's, you will not be able to make a DVD-A out of them and play them in the Acura because the Acura's look for the watermark, which survives most everything.

You will need to use Foobar 2000 and the proper plug-ins to remove the watermark. Results are spotty, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Residue from the copy protection wars. It's one of the reasons I'm not a big SACD guy (because of their difficulty in ripping to PC)

Thank you all for the assistance! I got a hold of discWelder Chrome (2.0.30). Installed fine. Followed the help file in creating a disc. Found it doesn't support FLAC files (all my files are FLAC). So I used Foobar and converted a few of the FLAC files to WAV. The files are all 6 channel 24x96. Everything went smooth in discWelder until I hit the red Record button. When I click "Start", I get the error message "Maximum bit rate of 9.6Mbits/sec is exceeded on track..." It then says "Use MLP encoding, reduced sample rate, or reduced sample bit length to achieve a lower bit rate".

Not sure how to solve this problem.

And one more issue: All the files I converted from FLAC to WAV were all originally ripped from DVD-A discs - except for one file. This one exception came from a Blu Ray disc and was 16x48 (6 channel). I converted this to WAV (from FLAC) and it shows "unsupported" in the file view of discWelder. Not sure why.

I really appreciate all the assistance. You guys more than put me on the right path!

NOTE: Chrome 2.0.30 is buggy - use version 2.0.25. Playback on certain players - including the Acura DVD-A units is impacted..

Also - if you are copying from (Warner) DVD-As - they are watermarked and will not play. EDIT: see Jon's comments above... :rolleyes:

Well, I did not know about this watermark issue. It's an absolute bummer. Can I put my SACD tracks on DVD-A without this watermark issue? Currently, my SACD's are ISO, but I can convert those to Wav.

And can you guys recommend an MLP encoder? I guess there is a decoder for Foobar, but not an encoder. And LizardKing, thanks for the warning on Chrome 2.0.3. I'll have to look for another version.

This is becoming more complex than I had thought! I figured it couldn't be that hard to put some multi-channel tracks to play on a DVD-A player. Boy...was I wrong! This may be all a bit too much work to just create a couple of discs for a friend to try in his car.

Thank you all for your patience with me.

One question for the Acura owners - do watermarked (DVD-A) tracks converted to DTSWAV files play fine on a DTS CD on the Acura head unit?

FYI - On my JVC they do...

Well, I did not know about this watermark issue. It's an absolute bummer. Can I put my SACD tracks on DVD-A without this watermark issue? Currently, my SACD's are ISO, but I can convert those to Wav.

And can you guys recommend an MLP encoder? I guess there is a decoder for Foobar, but not an encoder. And LizardKing, thanks for the warning on Chrome 2.0.3. I'll have to look for another version.

This is becoming more complex than I had thought! I figured it couldn't be that hard to put some multi-channel tracks to play on a DVD-A player. Boy...was I wrong! This may be all a bit too much work to just create a couple of discs for a friend to try in his car.

Thank you all for your patience with me.

SACD tracks will need to be converted to LPCM (24/88 best to use) before making a DVD-A. Also the only way to rip a SACD is with a SACD drive equipped PS3 that has firmware 3.55 or earlier. Acura should have made their units capable of playing MC Flac files since the hardware already decodes 5.1 audio. They don't even need to license it since FLAC is a free open source codec.

Surecode made an MLP encoder at one point, but they no longer sell it. So you'd have to hunt it down on the web. You encode the wav files to MLP, then import the MLP files into Discwelder.

RE: The SACD question, the DSD shouldn''t be watermarked, so if you convert the DSD to WAV you can author a 24/88.2 DVD-A. Assuming you have the MLP encoder.

However, there may be a few with watermarks. the bonus (5.1) tracks on the UK Quad Deep Purple - Machine Head SACD are watermarked. Also (I'm not sure about this), but I think the Warner Japan SACD reissues may still have watermarks on the SACDs.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...8-Warner-Japan-To-Reissue-DVDA-Titles-as-SACD

Folks, I'm gonna take a breather. This is all too complex for a couple of demo discs. I completely agree with arnold-layne as to car audio players should just be able to play MC Flac files rather than only specific types of discs and formats. It really bums me out that some SACD's have watermarks as well.

My physical discs have been stored away as I only rely on my file server and Foobar. If I needed to make discs consistently for some reason, I would pursue this complex issue, but it's just not worth it for a couple of demo's. I think my mind has overloaded for one day and I get frustrated. I need to take a breather and pick it up later.

Thanks for everyone's help!

One question for the Acura owners - do watermarked (DVD-A) tracks converted to DTSWAV files play fine on a DTS CD on the Acura head unit?

FYI - On my JVC they do...

Yes, they play fine. The DTS decoder doesn't know what a watermark is; so ignores it.

Back