Can AnyDVD back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this has been answered already (and may be a stupid question), but here goes:
If I backup my DVD-Audio discs to ISO files (using Anydvd), what can I do with the ISO file?
I know I can rip the DVD-A discs directly to FLAC (and other formats) using DVD Audio Extractor, but what about ISO files of the same disc?
TIA.

Not sure if this has been answered already (and may be a stupid question), but here goes:
If I backup my DVD-Audio discs to ISO files (using Anydvd), what can I do with the ISO file?
I know I can rip the DVD-A discs directly to FLAC (and other formats) using DVD Audio Extractor, but what about ISO files of the same disc?
TIA.
Out of interest... Does AnyDVD back-up and decrypt the entire DVD-Audio disc or just the DVD-Video portion?

TIA.

I’m not sure about the newer versions, but the older versions of DVDFab can make an exact copy of a DVD-A with everything on it, and removes copy protection. You can then burn the .ISO it creates to a regular DVD.

Many of the older DVD-A players will play it. Some of the newer Blu-ray players will not play a burned DVD-Audio disc. There’s plenty of old threads about this information.

Not sure as I can't transcode the ISO. But, going by the size of the ISO file, it appears so.
I’m not sure about the newer versions, but the older versions of DVDFab can make an exact copy of a DVD-A with everything on it, and removes copy protection. You can then burn the .ISO it creates to a regular DVD.
Many thanks... I used to beta test DVDFab software. I didn't know that the older versions were able to back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption.

I'd be really interested if someone can confirm whether AnyDVD can back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption.

Indeed after backing up the DVD-A to an .iso file, try mounting the .iso file: -
mount-iso.png

Once mounted you should be able to explore the discs contents and access what's within the AUDIO_TS files. You should see something like this: -
dvdfolders.jpg

Drag one of the ATS_xx_x.AOB files onto your desktop and see if it plays in say, VLC Media Player.

To eject (unmount) the .iso fle do this: -
eject.png

Cheers

Many thanks... I used to beta test DVDFab software. I didn't know that the older versions were able to back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption.

I'd be really interested if someone can confirm whether AnyDVD can back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption.

Indeed after backing up the DVD-A to an .iso file, try mounting the .iso file: -
mount-iso.png

Once mounted you should be able to explore the discs contents and access what's within the AUDIO_TS files. You should see something like this: -
dvdfolders.jpg

Drag one of the ATS_xx_x.AOB files onto your desktop and see if it plays in say, VLC Media Player.

To eject (unmount) the .iso fle do this: -
eject.png

Cheers

Trying to remember tech we’ve sort of moved on from. But, there’s two different types of DVD-Audio encryption. One for the disc, so it can’t be copied without software. And another for DVD-Audio discs that had “flags” in the audio files that a disc player would look for. And, in order to remove this, you would have to copy the audio files and deal with the audio flags with audio software, and then, re-author the files to create a DVD-Audio disc. So, that’s why it was easier to modify one’s DVD-Audio/SACD player to not look for these audio flags. But this was 15 years ago for DVD players with multi-channel RCA outputs. It’s simply easier to convert to FLAC or MKV, and playback with a Blu-ray player or another method.

ISO is just a “wrapper” for the files that would be burned to a disc, so if you can open that file as @SeeMoreDigital has done, whatever goes on the disc will be there.

I’m not familiar with the software being discussed here, but it sure looks like if there’s a way to open the .ISO, there’s a way to work with the files in it.

Well I think DVDFab will still decrypt a DVDA. Once decrypted, Foobar with the DVD-Audio component from soundforge will play the ,iso. Note that Foo will not bitstream, but it will decode DVDA and SACD (with the proper components added) and play.
It can't display track names from a DVDA .iso, however, but can from an SACD .iso.

VLC can not play a DVDA .iso, at least that is not the lossless. If it's a hybrid DVDA with video content (including pcm, AC3 or DTS) it can.

NOte there does not have to exist an actual "video" but the lossy content is in the VIDEO_TS , "video" folder if you will.

Last edited:
BTW there's been a free program for many years called DVDAudioExplorer that will extract either mlp or wav from a DVDA disc/.iso, whether it's encrypted or not. I have not used it in years as there are better (paid) tools now.

I use AnyDVD to rip/decrypt DVDs and Blu-rays.
I have had problems/failures with recent Blu-rays that were solved updating to last AnyDVD version.

The two DVD-A that I have ripped are "Tim Bowness/Giancarlo Erra-Memories of Machines" and "Mr-Afternoon-Golden Bonana". Ripping with AnyDVD provides, of course, the complete disc structure VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.

I always rip to ISO image, and play with Oppo via network the MLP DVD-A without problems.
Alternatively, for the other formats, I can use the DUNE player for DVD-V and Blu-rays ISOs, and sometimes I have found problems for some DVD-V discs. No problems with Oppo.

If I need mch FLAC extraction/conversion from DVD-A AOB files, I use DVD-Audio Explorer.

OK sort of a recap:
I just remembered that AnyDVD removes encryption as a background process. Then any ripping software (I guess) could rip the DVDA disc OR one could copy the the two folders off the disc, unencrypted, then use a program such as ImgBurn to reassemble an .iso if desired.
Then what?
I play my DVDA .iso's with Foobar with the DVD-Audio component added from SourceForge.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/

Back