Barclay James Harvest (3 CD +1 5.1 DVD Box Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, that's a shame. Do you know if the reason for this is that an entire new BD pressing machine is required? If so, I'm guessing that one would be rather expensive. Would be good if they could rent some time on another label's machine so they could make use of the ~50GB available on a BD.
these discs are pressed at a pressing plant. i do not think any smalle label has their own pressing machines. Labels just send the master to the pressing plant and off they go, returning pressed discs and packing all in one.

these discs are pressed at a pressing plant. i do not think any smalle label has their own pressing machines. Labels just send the master to the pressing plant and off they go, returning pressed discs and packing all in one.

Thanks Robert van Diggele. Yeah, that makes sense. There's a local outfit that I believe works this way and from memory, their BD production costs weren't out of the park compared to DVD.

Got an email today from Burning Shed saying that the CD/DVD release of "Gone to Earth" has now been delayed until September 2nd.
The delay itself is not annoying as I could wait years for this disc and not care, but had I known at the time I would not get this DVD-V disc until September, I would have gladly held off on preordering it then in order to use the available money for something coming sooner.
:(

Got an email today from Burning Shed saying that the CD/DVD release of "Gone to Earth" has now been delayed until September 2nd.
The delay itself is not annoying as I could wait years for this disc and not care, but had I known at the time I would not get this DVD-V disc until September, I would have gladly held off on preordering it then in order to use the available money for something coming sooner.
:(

Why? Do they charge upon ordering?

I got my copy today, and in my opinion the 5.1 mix is very tastefully done. The new stereo mix is interesting, but not essential. The new stereo remaster of the original mix is better than the previous remaster.

Leave it to Burning Shed to come up with the goods! :)

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/99/7919/

A deluxe, remastered and expanded edition of BJH's 1978 album XII.

The last album to feature Woolly Wolstenholme, it contains enduring favourites Berlin and In Search Of England.

This edition includes two CDs and a DVD, and features a re-master of the original album mix, five bonus tracks, and stunning 2016 stereo and 5.1 surround mixes of the album.

The DVD (region free / NTSC) also includes 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo re-mixes.

The package includes an illustrated booklet that fully restores the original album artwork, a new essay and a reproduction poster.

Pre-order for 28th October release.

CD 1 - 24-bit re-mastered original stereo mix (September 1978):

1. Fantasy: Loving Is Easy (4:00)
2. Berlin (4:47)
3. Classics: A Tale Of Two Sixties (3:34)
4. Turning In Circles (3:30)
5. Fact: The Closed Shop (3:46)
6. In Search Of England (4:12)
7. Sip Of Wine (4:22)
8. Harbour (3:42)
9. Science Fiction: Nova Lepidoptera (5:45)
10. Giving It Up (4:35)
11. Fiction: The Streets Of San Francisco (5:41)

Bonus Tracks:

12. Berlin (single version)
13. Loving Is Easy (single version)
14. Turning In Circles (first mix)
15. Fact: The Closed Shop (first mix)
16. Nova Lepidoptera (ambient instrumental mix)

CD 2 - 2016 stereo mix:

DVD (region free/ntsc) -XII 2016 5.1 surround and 96 KHZ / 24-bit 2016 and 1978 stereo mixes:

:)

Or you can get the information directly from the label. :)

And by the way, Gone to Earth has been released, I received it a few days ago ! (Bought directly from the label)

And by the way, Gone to Earth has been released, I received it a few days ago ! (Bought directly from the label)

Oh ok, well yes, I can see that "Gone to Earth" is currently available from the label's site, however, most other stores are showing a September 2nd release date still (including Burning Shed, which is where I purchased my copy from)

Excellent!

Any chance of a couple of piccies of the package please?
(Presuming same foldout digipackaging as the prev BJH 5.1..?)

Also, interested to hear your thoughts on the surround mixes when you get a chance to play it?

Thanks in advance :)

It's the same foldout packaging and unfortunately the same cheap quality... Why didn't they keep the little box packaging, like The geese and the Ghost by Antony Phillips? It was so much better!

Which BJH albums are available in surround? I'm intrigued to check out some sound samples.

Which BJH albums are available in surround? I'm intrigued to check out some sound samples.

* Everyone Is Everybody Else - 1974 (I have this one)
* Gone To Earth - 1977 (Mine is on order)
* XII (1978...I think I just saw this one being offered on Burning Shed...if so, I'll probably get as well)

What about "Once Again"? That came out in Surround at least once....and maybe again also. (DTS?- I'd have to go get my copy)

Yes, that's correct.
The 70s Quadraphonic mix of "Once Again" was reissued as part of a CD/DVD 40th anniversary edition of the album in 2011.
The Quad mix was adapted to DTS 5.1 (i.e. fake center and LFE channel mixes), but the mix is also included in an SQ stereo form, so for those of you with an SQ decoder, you can run the high-res stereo SQ master through the decoder and listen to the Quad mix that way.

https://www.discogs.com/Barclay-James-Harvest-Once-Again-40th-Anniversary-Edition/release/5207684

:)

BJH's XII with 5.1 mix is available to pre-order from Cherry Red/Esoteric http://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/xii-3-disc-deluxe-remastered-expanded-edition/

BJH-XII_web.jpg

NEW REMASTERED & EXPANDED 3 CD DIGIPACK EDITION OF THE CLASSIC GOLD SELLING 1978 ALBUM BY BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST
• WITH 2 CDs & DVD (NTSC / REGION FREE)
• FEATURING NEW STEREO & 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIXES OF THE ALBUM TRACKS & FIVE BONUS TRACKS
• REMASTERED & REMIXED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES
• FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK AND LAVISHLY ILLUSTRATED BOOKLETS WITH LINER NOTES

Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a newly re-mastered and expanded edition of the classic gold selling 1978 album by BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST, “XII”. Originally released in September 1978, the album was another big selling release for the band achieving Silver disc status in the UK and Gold in Germany. The album followed in the wake of “Gone to Earth” and
saw BJH consolidate the success they had found in Germany and Europe.

The album struck a chord with the record buying public thanks to tracks such as ‘Berlin’, ‘In Search of England’, ‘Nova Lepidoptera’ and more, and its popularity continues to endure. It would be the last Barclay James Harvest album to feature Woolly Wolstenholme before his departure from the band in June 1979.

This Deluxe edition includes two CDs and a DVD, and features a new re-master of the original album mix, along with stunning brand new stereo and 5.1 surround mix of the album. The DVD (which is region free and NTSC) also includes 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo re-mixes and a 96 kHz / 24-bit re-master of the original album mix. In addition the set features five bonus tracks, including the rare single versions of ‘Loving is Easy’ and ‘Berlin’. This expanded deluxe edition also includes a lavishly illustrated booklet that fully restores the original album artwork, a new essay and also includes a reproduction poster.

Back