YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, yeah....even just streaming from Soundcloud it sounds really good. I think this is going to be a great release, really could change some peoples opinions of the album a lot.

LOL! Not mine - I've never heard the album, and I have no plans to listen to any songs until I get the Wilson version. :)

LOL! Not mine - I've never heard the album, and I have no plans to listen to any songs until I get the Wilson version. :)

Yes, I would say that is a good plan if you're not familiar with (or never heard!) the album - I'd not want to start with a 5 minute sampler streamed over the internet either!

Yes, I would say that is a good plan if you're not familiar with (or never heard!) the album - I'd not want to start with a 5 minute sampler streamed over the internet either!

Plus, I just want to be surprised. I'm a moderate YES fan and obviously a Wilson fan, so I don't think I can go wrong.

For anyone's interest and knowledge, Burning Shed have updated the track listing for the CD/Blu-Ray edition to show exactly what's on each disc and corresponding audio streams:

Tracks
CD 1:

1. The Revealing Science Of God (Dance Of The Dawn)
2. The Remembering (High The Memory)
3. The Ancient (Giants Under The Sun)

CD 2:

1. Ritual (Nous Sommes Du Soleil)
2. Dance of the Dawn (2016 mix)
3. Dance of the Dawn (studio run-through)

CD 3:

1. High the Memory (studio run-through)
2. Giants Under the Sun (studio run-through)
3. Ritual (live, Zurich, April 1974)

Single edits:

4. The Revealing Science of God (single edit)
5. The Remembering (single edit)
6. The Ancient (single edit
7. Ritual (single edit I)
8. Ritual (single edit II)

2016 full album mix, plus an extended Dance of the Dawn and 5 single edits, all mixed by Steven Wilson.

Full alt. album featuring side two (studio) & side 4 (live) of original album prev. unreleased.

Blu-Ray:

Disc 1: (New Stereo 24/96 LPCM)

1. The Revealing Science of God
2. The Remembering
3. The Ancient
4. Ritual
5. Dance of the Dawn (ext. version of The Revealing Science of God)

(5.1 Surround 24/96 LPCM & DTS-HD MA)

2. The Remembering
3. The Ancient
4. Ritual

(Flat Transfer from original master 24/192 LPCM)

2. The Remembering
3. The Ancient
4. Ritual

Blu-ray exclusives:

1. Dance of the Dawn (studio run-through)
2. High the Memory (studio run-through)
3. Giants Under the Sun (studio run-through)
4. Ritual (live, Zurich, April 1974)

Single edits:

1. The Revealing Science of God (single edit)
2. The Remembering (single edit)
3. The Ancient (single edit)
4. Ritual (single edit I)
5. Ritual (single edit II)

New Stereo Instrumental Mixes:

2. The Remembering
3. The Ancient
4. Ritual

Vinyl transfers:

1 to 4 UK needle-drop transfer
1 to 4 US banded promo needle-drop transfer

Album mixed in 5.1 Lossless Surround plus extra track mixed from original multi-track sources.

2016 and original (flat transfer) album mixes in hi-res stereo

Alt album, single edits plus exclusive audio extras

:)

I don't want to go off on a tangent or off topic...though this is on topic as it relates to the song list....bear with me...I'm not a audio engineer (if that's the right terminology).

At the bottom of the set list where it's talking about vinyl transfers (needle drop). Please explain this. In the context of what is being offered on this particular set...
Again, don't assume I understand any of this.... :) I appreciate it!

Hi Gene, a needle-drop is a vinyl rip. The most clean copy will be played on a turntable and recorded on a computer using the analog outs. Some people prefer this to other versions. For mysefl, it is a nice thing for completeness, but I mostly listen to the newly created stero and surround mixes.

Hi Gene, a needle-drop is a vinyl rip. The most clean copy will be played on a turntable and recorded on a computer using the analog outs. Some people prefer this to other versions. For mysefl, it is a nice thing for completeness, but I mostly listen to the newly created stero and surround mixes.

I figured it was a vinyl rip - but in terms of the whole package, what is the point? What vinyl, who's vinyl and who is doing the physical rip here? I'm clueless....

I figured it was a vinyl rip - but in terms of the whole package, what is the point? What vinyl, who's vinyl and who is doing the physical rip here? I'm clueless....

From the Yes "Fragile" booklet:
"The vinyl transfers were treated to light de-clicking/audio-restoration. They are included on the basis that they represent examples of typical vinyl pressings of the era."
Also the vinyl transfers on all of the Yes Blu-Rays were prepared by John Kimber.

From the Yes "Fragile" booklet:
"The vinyl transfers were treated to light de-clicking/audio-restoration. They are included on the basis that they represent examples of typical vinyl pressings of the era."
Also the vinyl transfers on the "Fragile" Blu-Ray were prepared by John Kimber.

Oh, I see. So literally, they are trying to give listeners every audio option that is available. I guess. So, would you suppose the vinyl they use is a brand new one, or one from back in the day that is in new condition? How do they choose?

Oh, I see. So literally, they are trying to give listeners every audio option that is available. I guess. So, would you suppose the vinyl they use is a brand new one, or one from back in the day that is in new condition? How do they choose?

I don't know specifics, but the pressings they are using are definitely not new pressings at all but original pressings from the release year that are likely in the best condition they can find.

I don't know specifics, but the pressings they are using are definitely not new pressings at all but original pressings from the release year that are likely in the best condition they can find.

Huh, I'll be damned. Pretty interesting. I guess I should appreciate that more now...since I'm on a vinyl revival myself. Guess I'll search out all my purchases to see which ones have vinyl transfers included and give them a listen...just for nostalgia sake. :) Thanks Ryan and Robert.

All of the Yes Blu-Rays have vinyl needle-drops included.
"Relayer" also has a US promo album vinyl transfer that splits "Gates" up into 3 parts and "Sound Chaser" into 2 parts, and it says in the booklet that the promo vinyl used for that needle-drop is the only known surviving source for this material.

There's also some vinyl needle-drops on the Blu-Rays included in the three King Crimson 70s box sets. :)

Just thought I'd join the discussion and say I'll be ordering Tales From Topographic Oceans as soon as I hear it is being released, I bought the original vinyl when it first came out in 1973 and loved it, I've never understood the dislike a lot of people have expressed for it, each to their own. I already have The yes Album, Fragile, Close To the Edge & Relayer 5.1, Going for the One next please!

Update: my copy is pre-ordered from Burning Shed

I finally put a pre-order in for this one. Deep Discount has another code "EXTRA15" (I think it expires tomorrow) that got me the blu-ray set for $25.87 shipped - not too bad at all!

Also ordered large, with Tales included not to mention Skylarking, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. Bring on October already - the Soundcloud sampler sounds absolutely GLORIOUS!!!! :)

All of the Yes Blu-Rays have vinyl needle-drops included.
"Relayer" also has a US promo album vinyl transfer that splits "Gates" up into 3 parts and "Sound Chaser" into 2 parts, and it says in the booklet that the promo vinyl used for that needle-drop is the only known surviving source for this material.

There's also some vinyl needle-drops on the Blu-Rays included in the three King Crimson 70s box sets. :)

The vinyl transfer of Relayer on that BluRay edition is stunning, very surprised how good that sounded.

I never pre-order anything, but I'm just absolutely dying to get this ASAP. If I live in the US and want to get this as early as possible, does anyone have any idea what might be the best place to order from? Amazon.com shows a release date of Oct 7th, Amazon UK shows Sept 30th, Burning Shed also shows Sept 30th, but Headphone Dust shows Sept 26th. Looks like Headphone Dust might be the fastest choice, being released 11 days before Amazon.com, but do any of you have much experience importing from the UK to the US and how long it usually takes? I wish Clint was around, as he seems to always know all of the secret hidden deals and options available with this kind of stuff. Hope he's OK.
I am so freakin' ready to listen to this album in HD 5.1 over and over and over! :banana:

I never pre-order anything, but I'm just absolutely dying to get this ASAP. If I live in the US and want to get this as early as possible, does anyone have any idea what might be the best place to order from? Amazon.com shows a release date of Oct 7th, Amazon UK shows Sept 30th, Burning Shed also shows Sept 30th, but Headphone Dust shows Sept 26th. Looks like Headphone Dust might be the fastest choice, being released 11 days before Amazon.com, but do any of you have much experience importing from the UK to the US and how long it usually takes? I wish Clint was around, as he seems to always know all of the secret hidden deals and options available with this kind of stuff. Hope he's OK.
I am so freakin' ready to listen to this album in HD 5.1 over and over and over! :banana:

Get it from either Headphone Dust or Burning Shed. Headphone Dust is Steven Wilson's official online store, whereas Burning Shed hosts the official Panegyric online store, so I would definitely buy from one of those stores. I have received these Yes releases from both stores fairly quickly here in the US.

:)

Back