Tales From Topographic Oceans, 50 years old today.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petr Kropotkin

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I was 14 when this came out December 7th, 1973. YES were one of the biggest bands in the world back then, and expectations were high as to whether they could top Close To The Edge. Suffice to say, it divided critics and fans alike (and even within the group, with Rick Wakeman leaving the band, unimpressed with its extensive "padding").

To me, there was nothing like it at the time, and there has been nothing so ambitious like it since. It's always been a "mood" album for me - not something I could listen to, say, driving the car, but with the right environment and substances, and in a meditative state, it took me to places no other album has even done.

So cheers and a happy birthday to a unique album that for me, 50 years later, was and still is, ahead of its time. đŸ»

Tales-Yes-Cover.jpg

Wish they would repress the Bluray
I'm guessing that they won't repress because this will most likely be released in a deluxe set similar to the recent "The Yes Album" set, so you will get a chance to get the SW 5.1 mix (from the 2016 BR) plus a new Atmos mix. The bad news is that it will probably be $100+.

I was 14 when this came out December 7th, 1973. YES were one of the biggest bands in the world back then, and expectations were high as to whether they could top Close To The Edge. Suffice to say, it divided critics and fans alike (and even within the group, with Rick Wakeman leaving the band, unimpressed with its extensive "padding").

To me, there was nothing like it at the time, and there has been nothing so ambitious like it since. It's always been a "mood" album for me - not something I could listen to, say, driving the car, but with the right environment and substances, and in a meditative state, it took me to places no other album has even done.

So cheers and a happy birthday to a unique album that for me, 50 years later, was and still is, ahead of its time. đŸ»

View attachment 99099
I hear you, comrade! I'm a tad younger than you: i received this set as a Christmas present in 1976 when i was fifteen. Once i found the right substances my junior year in HigH school, the album became a frequent go-to for feeding my head on those astral travels–ah, High the Memory! Over all these years, it continues to reveal its bounties. This picture is for you:
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 8.28.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened to QQer Dennis Moore? When the Steven Wilson mix was released, I remember reading his infectiously enthusiastic posts.
Last around here over 3 years ago I think. I know he had health issues so I fear the worst :(. He had an excellent (almost English!) sense of humour, and we had many witty exchanges.

Other than Fragile, my absolute favorite Yes album, even without mind altering substances! Love the extremely lengthy songs, and concept album. Nothing has been made like it since. Screw the critics, then, and now! Let all the virtuosos show their chops, including John Anderson’s amazing voice! Getty Lee eat your heart out! You (and Rush) suck compared to John Anderson (and Yes!) đŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł

I hear you, comrade! I'm a tad younger than you: i received this set as a Christmas present in 1976 when i was fifteen. Once i found the right substances my junior year in HigH school, the album became a frequent go-to for feeding my head on those astral travels–ah, High the Memory! Over all these years, it continues to reveal its bounties. This picture is for you:
View attachment 99101
Why is Squire frowning? Shouldn't that be Steve???

Yes.....one of my alltime fave album covers too. Tonight I'll raise a pint to Roger Dean, the genius.

Funny I had never actually heard the album, but it blew my mind at a concert some years ago when they played tracks from it. Probably all of side 1?

I'll blast that LP tonight while I sip on some Guinness. I'd love to get a big print of the cover art & hang it up. $$ though & I have other priorities, like food & shelter :ROFLMAO:

Who needs that stuff anyway? I could have an Atmos setup if I was living under a bridge with only a tarp over my head, right?

I was a budding 16 year old guitarist in a Yes/Led Zeppelin cover band and thought the album was a masterpiece, equal to Close To The Edge. Years later, you could suss out the parts of it where Wakeman sat out, expressing his displeasure, but that wasn't as obvious back in the day.
We only worked up some of the parts of the Side Three as a band, partially due to not having a Wakeman quality keyboard player to even attempt any of the rest of it. I recently bought a Japanese UHQCD version of it and heard things I'd not heard before in my previous thousand or so listens.

I'm guessing that they won't repress because this will most likely be released in a deluxe set similar to the recent "The Yes Album" set, so you will get a chance to get the SW 5.1 mix (from the 2016 BR) plus a new Atmos mix. The bad news is that it will probably be $100+.
🙁 Now i'm feeling old!, i remember picking up my copy when it was released.

I managed to get both the Bluray and SACD releases. A little OTT maybe, but it's just one of those albums.

Definitely my favourite ever cover. I bought one of Roger Dean's limited-edition giclée prints of the original artwork years ago, now sells for six times what I paid.

View attachment 99111
Nice! I have it on a t-shirt. I met Roger Dean a few years back, and he could not have been more gracious. I've always loved his work, and I wasn't trying to hide that fact. I wound up with large prints of Relayer and Pathways (Yessongs cover), and a smaller print of Gentle Giant's Octopus cover, all of which I framed. He signed everything, along with my '74 vintage Relayer cover.

The coda guitar solo at the end is still my favorite Yes moment.
The dedication to being difficult in this work is still just inspiring!

Back