Story of The Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein" (2" 16 track)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was an adolescent we worked up a choreographed series of movements to this song, which we performed under a flashing strobe light. It was performed as a "Strobe Show" by four groups in 1978, 1980, 1981, and 1983. The show featured twirling ropes, confetti, frisbees, and lots of hair!

The quad version of this is great, although the ARP comes in earlier than on the stereo version which to me is very noticeable and feels out of place. But I do not let it spoil the overall track, which is great in quad.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it!

Great story, Kap. Can you imagine the condition of those original master tapes with all those splices? Roy Halee, S&G recording engineer once shared a story with the owner of my former high end audio salon that the Simon and Garfunkel masters for a lot of their albums were so riddled with splices that they were NOT in great shape. I used to edit Super 8mm by hand and resorted finally to wet splices as the dry sticky tape splices (manufactured at the time by Kodak) discolored over time and affected the image as they covered several frames of film on BOTH sides.

No wonder a LOT of those old analogue master tapes are unusuable and that's why we sometimes get second or third generation masters which as we all know in the analogue domain do suffer. Say what you want about digital....but making a D>D copy is a mirror image of the original with NO additives.

Back