Is a Technics SL-1200 suitable for playing quad LPs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if the current Technics SL-1200GR model (2017-) would be suitable for playing back CD-4? I've got a low capacitance phono cable, but would the tonearm be able to carry the signal if I used a suitable cartridge? :unsure:
https://www.technics.com/uk/products/grand-class/turntables/sl-1200gr.html

i'm pretty sure it should be fine ๐Ÿ™‚
the cartridge, stylus & its alignment and a properly setup fully working demodulator are things i'd never really got right until i'd got bored of it all years later! ๐Ÿ˜‚ which cartridge and demodulator are you using?

i'm pretty sure it should be fine ๐Ÿ™‚
the cartridge, stylus & its alignment and a properly setup fully working demodulator are things i'd never really got right until i'd got bored of it all years later! ๐Ÿ˜‚ which cartridge and demodulator are you using?
Excellent, cheers old haricot! Ha, well I think you did pretty well - reading all the posts on here is a great help. Haven't actually got everything yet but I'm thinking of adding an Audio Technica VM540ML Cartridge and a Geodisc Alignment thingumbob as well? And then might just try and use some software (and the Force!) to see if I can get it going. ๐Ÿ˜€

Excellent, cheers old haricot! Ha, well I think you did pretty well - reading all the posts on here is a great help. Haven't actually got everything yet but I'm thinking of adding an Audio Technica VM540ML Cartridge and a Geodisc Alignment thingumbob as well? And then might just try and use some software (and the Force!) to see if I can get it going. ๐Ÿ˜€

anytime mon petit pois! ๐Ÿค—
540ML's the 440MLb replacement right? should be ok! ๐Ÿคž

not sure.. don't think the Geodisc is much cop for the tonearms on the SL-1200's?

fwiw on brand new or pristine records i got great results with the old 70's carts & styliiii (AT15S & Sa) but with everything else the 440 handled it all better.

tbh i'm relieved not to have CD-4 sleepless nights anymore (anyone who tells you its easy and you'll have it setup perfectly in 5 minutes is talking bollocks btw!).

in the words of Ru Paul;
"good luck and don't fuck it up!!" ๐Ÿ’…๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿฟ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ’ž

Some of the comments do not make sense or need clarification.

- If a CD4 record sounds different in stereo than it does in CD-4, then the difference between the stereo preamp used and the CD-4 demodulator's preamp is the cause.

- The difference between the SQ record played in stereo and the SQ record played in SQ has to be the SQ decoder (assuming the same preamp is used). But one other factor could be low bass encoded at angles other than center front (speakers not mutually aiding).

- You need an impedance meter or bridge to measure cable capacitance and/or impedance. The cartridge must not be connected to the cables when taking this measurement.

Back