Is it even worth trying to find a cartridge/stylus to play CD-4 on my linear tracking P-mount (T4P) Turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjdave

Hello!

I was gifted a Pioneer QX-949 receiver that has a CD-4 decoder built-in. I have a Technics SL-J2 linear tracking turntable that only accepts P-mount (T4P) cartridges that I would be willing to dedicate to CD-4 vinyl playback.

I did a search on the forum and there were some very old posts about how there were few P-mount cartridges back then that could handle CD-4 requirements.

With the resurgence of vinyl, I noticed when I Googled that I found a manufacturer that claims to make a P-mount cartridge that can handle quadraphonic (and specifically mentioned CD-4). I would link it, but I am not sure if links are allowed here.

I rather get all of your opinions on this. I am specifically looking for a P-mount cartridge that would have the capability to play CD-4 well. I realize that it may be impossible to find one that plays as well as non P-mount cartridges, but at least meet the requirements.

Thanks for your input!

You are allowed to paste links here people do it all the time.

P-mounts became popular as quad was dying out, so likely their is not a lot of choice. This is the right place to ask, someone will know!

I don't know anything specific about P-mount CD-4 but CD-4 is always worth it.

:D

Success would depend on how good the servo control of the tonearm is. If it requires too much pressure on the right groove wall before the arm is advanced, it wouldn't work very well.

Doug

I currently have a Audio Technica AT112EP cartridge in my turntable. Is there a stylus available for this that would play CD-4 ?

It's also important that a phono cartridge to be used for CD-4 have at least 12dB of channel separation above 15kHz, very few phono cartridge makers provide this info though.

Kirk Bayne

Many times, a manufacturer will only publish specs they can guarantee even though a cartridge may exceed those published specs. The AT 440MLa has been used successfully for CD-4 also and the published frequency response only goes to 20kHz. It obviously is better than that or it would be a complete failure for CD-4.

I have found it is not quite up there with the best of the real CD-4 cartridges but it does generally work well.

Doug

AT112EP.PNG

Here is my current cartridge on my turntable. I have no idea what a "BiRadial Bonded" stylus is or if that will work with CD-4

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...oftware-demodulator.24900/page-12#post-607779
If possible, try to get a true Shibata stylus, some CD-4 records have been severely damaged by many plays with a high tracking force system, once a damaged CD-4 disc has been cleaned (probably w/ultrasonic disc cleaner) a true Shibata stylus should bridge the groove damage and play the undamaged top half of the groove, retrieving a good quality carrier signal.

Kirk Bayne

View attachment 77005

Here is my current cartridge on my turntable. I have no idea what a "BiRadial Bonded" stylus is or if that will work with CD-4

Bi-radial is very close to elliptical. But it is made using the trick draftsmen have used for years to fake an ellipse by finding two radii. One radius is used for the ends of the ellipse with the foci, and the other radius (larger) connects these ends together on the sides.

Bonded means that the stylus is glued to its base.

It will NOT work for CD-4.

I guess I am on the hunt for a Shibata stylus for my P mount cartridge then. Depending on how much one cost will determine if I want to go down the road of using CD-4 at all. So far, this it sounding like it would just be cheaper to repair my 4 channel reel to reel and use that as a source than attempting using CD-4.

I have decided that finding a Shibata stylus compatible with a P mount cartridge is a unicorn. The one I found the manufacturer claims that even though it is a Shibata, it will not play CD-4 because of the frequency response being too limited.

It looks like I am going to give up on exploring CD-4. This seems like a rabbit hole that I can't afford to go down. I just got my CD-4 Test record in the mail too. Bummer.

Thanks for everyone's help though!

A Shibata stylus will help with playback of stereo (also matrix quad) and mono LPs and 45s by contacting the upper (undamaged) part of the record groove, if it isn't too expensive, it could be worth getting a Shibata stylus for that reason.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I have an original ATN152LP I use on a p-mount cart & it sounds great. No CD4 demodulator though, and I don't think the originals were shibata anyway.

Do you know what P-mount carts are compatible with the ATN152LP stylus? If all P-mount styluses are compatible with all P-mount cartridges, that is news to me.

Back