Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it gets worse. Only the 9x series can actually playback burned sacd iso's to disc.

So to recap.

9x = playback sacd iso burned disc

10x = rip sacd iso

20x = ??

Im not sure I understand. Mine is an 83SE. It will play SACD-R's but not ISO's. Are you saying the 10X's wont play SACD-R's?

Also, whats up at the Oppo site? There appears to be no players for sale at the online store. No link to buy a 103 or a 105.

For me, the best thing about the 203 coming out is I will soon have an OPPOrtunity to pick up a 103 at a deep discount.:banana:

Wouldn't expect discounts on the 10X series, they are alread disco'd, unavailable from most of the on-line retailers including Oppo themselves.
Had planned on picking up a 103 to run into the Bryston DAC I plan to buy but guess I'm too late.
Hope the new models output DSD via HDMI.

I know Oppo won't sell me a 103. What I meant was that there will be a flood of used 103's hitting ebay and the QQ swap meet thread, for BIG savings!

I wouldn't expect a quantum leap in sound quality. The 105 is already excellent.

I'm not expecting a quantum leap but I did hear a difference between my 95 & my 105.
I'm expecting the analog board of the 205 will be a redesign as well as I read they are using a different DAC in the 205
Build quality between the 2 was a pretty big leap as well.

The 205 will be for my home theater\music replacing an Oppo-80.
The 105 is staying put in 2-channel living room system unless the 205 is a quantum leap :)

Wouldn't expect discounts on the 10X series, they are alread disco'd, unavailable from most of the on-line retailers including Oppo themselves.
Had planned on picking up a 103 to run into the Bryston DAC I plan to buy but guess I'm too late.
Hope the new models output DSD via HDMI.

I didn't realize the 103/105's were already discontinued until today. I guess that explains used 103's going for $450 and up (without shipping) on eBay. I hope MCDave is correct. That the price will drop on used 103's, because I'd like to get one also. I'm not sure it would replace my 83SE for audio (I really like the 83, especially the 2ch performance). I mainly want one to rip SACD to my NAS.

A further question: Is it possible that the SACD rip method/software can be altered to allow use with the chips in the new 203, or is it a flaw of some kind in the 103/105 chips that makes it possible? Anyone know?

I didn't realize the 103/105's were already discontinued until today. I guess that explains used 103's going for $450 and up (without shipping) on eBay. I hope MCDave is correct. That the price will drop on used 103's, because I'd like to get one also. I'm not sure it would replace my 83SE for audio (I really like the 83, especially the 2ch performance). I mainly want one to rip SACD to my NAS.

A further question: Is it possible that the SACD rip method/software can be altered to allow use with the chips in the new 203, or is it a flaw of some kind in the 103/105 chips that makes it possible? Anyone know?

I don't know - buy now that I'm aware of the fact that the new 203 "may not" have that "feature", no chance in hell I'm selling my 103.

Wow. Now I'm really in no hurry to retire my 83SE.

I'm still gonna be lookin' for a 103 though... so if any of you guys are selling at a reasonable price..... lemme know.

You might want to contact Oppo directly as sometimes they have refurbished units for sale. If I remember correctly, these units come with a full warranty.

For me, the best thing about the 203 coming out is I will soon have an OPPOrtunity to pick up a 103 at a deep discount.:banana:
go over to the AVS forum, you'll get great deals there. But look out-there is a member who snatches up Oppo's for re-sale.He will only pay $350.00-so great deals will be available when they new model is out! This machine is one that is never abused, or mis-handled.

An update on the features of the Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player from Oppo Japan.
Interesting that the UDP-203 will support the HDR 10 spec - but not Dolby Vision HDR:

OPPO Digital 's next generation universal player "UDP-203" will comply with the "Ultra HD Blu Ray" standard and deliver the latest video experiences to our customers.

• It corresponds to 4K (3,840 × 2, 160 pixels) resolution, and you can reproduce more fine-grained images.
  • It corresponds to the high frame rate of 60p, and reproduction of smoother motion is possible.
  • It corresponds to the high dynamic range technology "HDR 10" with high luminance of 1,000 to 10,000 nits at the maximum, and it is superior in gradation expression of light and dark areas.
  • Besides extending the video bit depth to 10 bits, it corresponds to the wide color gamut standard "BT. 2020" which is twice as large as before, and has more natural color reproducibility.
  • Compatible with the latest compression technology MPEG HEVC (H.265), you can play beautiful images with less compression noise.
* "Ultra HD Blu-ray" discs can not be played on traditional Blu-ray disc players.
※ "Ultra HD Blu-ray" compatible players can also be used with display devices not compatible with 4K / HDR 10, but to enjoy the down-converting process to enjoy with the video quality originally recorded on the disc can not.

※ We can not answer individual inquiries about this product, so please be forewarned. The latest information will be announced on this page from time to time.

http://www.oppodigital.jp/products/bd-player/udp-203/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/08/17/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-new-tv-format-war/88914196/

More on the upcoming Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player from Sound & Vision Magazine

"While its exact price is still under review, the UBD-203 should launch at between $500 and $600. The player looks to be about the same size as the company’s smallest current BD player, BDP-103, making it slightly shorter than Oppo’s upscale BDP-105. It wouldn’t be surprising if Oppo comes out with a premier UHD model (a UBD-205, perhaps?) at a later date, but we don’t anticipate more than the UBD-203 for now.

In addition to Ultra HD discs (including HDR10 high dynamic range, with a later firmware update promised for Dolby Vision), the UBD-203 will play back Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, and audio CD. It will decode audio-only formats as well: AIFF, WAV, ALAC, APE, and FLAC. It also plays DSD (Direct-Stream Digital) audio files in stereo DSD64/128 or multi-channel DSD64. It will decode all current audio formats for audio on video, up to and including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and output them either in PCM or bitstream. When set for a bitstream output it will support sources carrying immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X."

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/oppo-does-ultra-hd

More on the upcoming Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player from Sound & Vision Magazine

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/oppo-does-ultra-hd

Thanks for the update, Brian. As always, I'll probably wait for the UDP~205 which I'm sure will make its grand entrance at a later date with the beefier power supply and Dolby Vision firmly implemented.

My brand newish LG 55" OLED will just have to be patient. But I am starting to stockpile UHD discs (albeit, rather carefully, as some are just upsampled 2K....just have to read the reviews for what's worth purchasing at this early date).

I am truly biting my tongue on this one....OPPO sent me the pre-purchase for the 203 today.....and I want it...but I don't know if I need it. I actually went as far as to stick it in the cart, just to see what the final price would be..... :yikes

I am truly biting my tongue on this one....OPPO sent me the pre-purchase for the 203 today.....and I want it...but I don't know if I need it. I actually went as far as to stick it in the cart, just to see what the final price would be..... :yikes

And are you unable to share what that price would be? ;)

Back