R.I.P. Greg Lake

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noooo, unbelievable, one of the greatest and more personal voices of rock. Must play Epitaph when I'm back home :(

I just heard this on Planet Rock (UK radio), really sad news. The 2nd album I ever bought was by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Such a great musician and I love the songs he wrote, and his singing on "In The Court" and especially on the first ELP album - my favourite of theirs. What a loss, sadly missed. RIP Greg Lake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

I never met him, but I did end up speaking to him on the phone a few times when he was trying to find out where his guitar tech was. I was doing some work in a recording studio in London to earn some money when I was a postgrad research student, and his guitar tech said please answer the phone and tell him I'm not here! He rang back quite a few times - never did find out why his tech didn't want to be found.....

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT?????????

OMG
it's like rats abandoning a sinking ship....
everybody's getting the f*ck out of Dodge this year!!!

Well.. at least Keith will have his Skorpio mate to argue up there...now they can reform EL&Powell (which was the BEST DRUMMER THEY EVER HAD!!!)...

man....(shaking my head...)

Oh bummer. What a fine talent to the genre and music in general. The best of them are slowly going away...makes me sad for sure. :(

I just heard this on Planet Rock (UK radio), really sad news. The 2nd album I ever bought was by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Such a great musician and I love the songs he wrote, and his singing on "In The Court" and especially on the first ELP album - my favourite of theirs. What a loss, sadly missed. RIP Greg Lake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

I never met him, but I did end up speaking to him on the phone a few times when he was trying to find out where his guitar tech was. I was doing some work in a recording studio in London to earn some money when I was a postgrad research student, and his guitar tech said please answer the phone and tell him I'm not here! He rang back quite a few times - never did find out why his tech didn't want to be found.....

Haven't you heard the one about the 3 aches (now 2 ....) you didn't want in a recording studio???

Gutted, utterly gutted. 2016 has been a terrible year for rock legends.
Greg Lake may not have been loved by everyone on this forum, but there is no denying his talents on bass and vocals. The man is a legend and his legacy will endure.
R.I.P. "L" !

This was what I wrote on my Facebook this morning:
Wow, what a terrible piece of news to wake up to. I was heartbroken many months ago learning of the death of Emerson, Lake & Palmer keyboardist Keith Emerson, but this morning's news that Greg Lake has now died from cancer hurts even more, for as much as I loved Keith's keyboard playing, it was Greg's voice that really made me fall in love with ELP's music. Plus, Greg's voice was also my first connection to the amazing music of King Crimson, and he will always be the best singer they ever had. This feels like the most appropriate track to show off what an amazing singer Greg was as we mourn his death on this day.

(n) :(

I just realized, and apologies , cause it sounds weird,
but,
ALL of the members of the group of one of the best concerts I ever saw (EL&Powell at the Opera House in Boston 1987) are now DEAD!!!!!

I don't think I can say that for any other gig (for now)...

That's PRECISELY why you should spend your money and go see KCrimson and all of those who are still around and active WHILE they are still around!!!!

Must play Epitaph when I'm back home :(

I put together tribute playlist for Greg (and Keith), starting with your idea and moving to the Return of the Manticore box set that had new recordings in Dolby Surround along with catalog tracks.

1. Epitaph (In The Court Of The Crimson King 1969, 2009 Steven Wilson mix)
  2. 21st Centruy Schizoid Man (EL&P 1993 version, Return of the Manticore) [Dolby Surround]
  3. I Believe In Father Christmas (ROTM 1993)
  4. Lucky Man (EL&P 1970)
  5. From The Beginning (Trilogy 1972)
  6. Take A Pebble -> Lucky Man [acoustic] (Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends 1974) [Live]
  7. Still You Turn Me On (Brain Salad Surgery 1973)
  8. C'est La Vie (Works Vol.1 1977)
  9. Jerusalem (BSS)
  10. Watching Over You (Works Vol. 2 1977)

The RBCD dolby surround sounds surprisingly good on Schizoid Man, and there's an epic echo on the live acoustic Lucky Man.
I always spin I Believe In Father Christmas this time of year, he wrote so many good songs with Peter Sinfield.

Got to see them once on a reunion tour in the mid-90s (with Jethro Tull opening).

Stunned...

Someone please wake me up. I've been having a terrible nightmare that it's 2016 and...

Stunned...

Someone please wake me up. I've been having a terrible nightmare that it's 2016 and...

Totally agree...
was having this nightmare it was 2016 and the world was going to hell in a hand basket!!!

Could somebody stop this?

..please???

Just back from the sweet spot. This morning I played:

From The Beginning (Trilogy 1972)
Still You Turn Me On (Brain Salad Surgery 1973)
Epitaph (In The Court Of The Crimson King 1969, 2009 Steven Wilson mix)

We normally keep this place apolitical, but I must comment that the lyric "the fate of all mankind..." stuck out this morning as particularly meaningful.

Well Greg, thanks for the music. I have always particularly loved his acoustic guitar contributions to ELP. I am glad I got a chance to see him on 2/1/93 in Springfield MA with none other than Mr Privateuniverse. I am grateful for the recordings. Rest in peace!

Very sad news
Greg was a brilliant musician & had a magnificent voice

I am a huge ELP fan and often play my DVDs of those classic ELP & King Crimson albums

Seems 69-70 years old is not good if your a rock star

Too sad. I know he was also a guitarist, but I feel that another great BASSIST has been taken. RIP Greg.

Back