Whitesnake (1987) 30th Anniversary Box Set (with some 5.1 surround!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Information found here: http://www.musictap.net/2017/08/16/...ered-and-expanded-30th-anniversary-attention/
Pre-order here:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VJDGG5/

On October 6, Rhino Records will provide several iterations of a 30th Anniversary Edition. The new reissue will feature brand new remastering. In the versions being released, there are a single CD with just the newly remastered album, a 2CD Deluxe edition featuring extra tracks, a 2LP vinyl set, and a massive 4CD/1DVD Super Deluxe Box.
The Super Deluxe Box will provide the original album, a CD of unreleased live tracks that had Vandenberg, Campbell, and Aldridge at the helm, alongside David Coverdale. The performance tracks were recorded from the band’s 1987-1988 support tour. Another CD adds in eleven unreleased demo and rehearsal recordinngs that include early versions of songs from the album. The final CD provides newly remixed versions of the four previously mentioned hit singles along with rare radio mixes and songs from 87 Versions, an exclusive EP issued in Japan.
The DVD features the four singles videos, restored and remixed in 5.1 Surround. There is a 30-minite documentaru of the making of Whitesnake. Plus, there is a newly filmed video of “Here I Go Again”, and unreleased live footage from the 1987-1988 tour.
The Book inside the Box will be a 60-page hardbound book with photos, essay, song lyrics, and more.

Whitesnake-1987-Expanded-SDE.jpg

Price point would have to beeeeeeee rather low for Snood to jump on only 4 music vids in 5.1 :yikes:howl

and me do not think that is gonna happen :rolleyes:

Price point would have to beeeeeeee rather low for Snood to jump on only 4 music vids in 5.1 :yikes:howl

and me do not think that is gonna happen :rolleyes:

Yeah, I gotta say, for 5 discs, the price is not bad, but for only 4 music videos in 5.1 surround of a band whose music I really despise, yeah I think I will definitely pass on this release, however, for those of you who really dig Whitesnake, this release might be a good one for you!

:)

I think 'Slow an' Easy' is an alright song and 'Still of the Night' is a decent Zeppelin ripoff, but yeah, not one of my favorite bands by a long shot.

Well for those of us who grew up with this type of music, this is a Godsend. There is such a small amount of this type of music available that I will jump on this. Not to mention that I like Whitesnake. To counteract the others who didn't speak so highly of them, I figured I would offer an obligatory alternative opinion. I think there is great potential for this and am really anticipating it's release. Also, keep in mind, it's not like there is a plethora of surround releases coming much less something from what I consider to be my favorite type of music. Quit being so damn negative and be glad that a band that had nothing in surround is at !east attempting it. For all the complaining I read about limited surround releases and what not, here is something completely outside the box. Don't buy it if you don't like it, but please keep the "I'm not interested" stuff to yourself. There really is no need at all to post that you are not interested in pre-ordering. Feel free to give negative reviews if you actually purchase this and you don't like it, but until then, stop with the comments. Seriously.

I think for folks to say they aren't interested is a fair comment. What is wrong with that? I guess that's the opposite of saying I really want it. Hmmm...

I initially thought I wan't interested...but I dunno. I might be.

I tend to think Whitesnake was a very talented band with a lot of great tunes. I graduated in 1981 from high school, so obviously WS were a big part of my past. David Coverdale is a great musician. IMO.

Anyhow - yeah. I wish there were more multi-channel offerings with this release. I'll have to think about it.

And, I feel compelled to say what might be obvious to many (like me)...

David Coverdale sang with Deep Purple and did a super job. He has a wonderful voice, especially back in the day. :)

From Wiki...

Deep Purple (1973–1976)[edit]
In 1973, Coverdale saw an article in a copy of Melody Maker, which said that Deep Purple was auditioning for singers to replace Ian Gillan. Coverdale had fronted a local group called The Government, which had played with Deep Purple on the same bill in 1969, so he and the band were familiar with one another, and after sending a tape and later auditioning, Coverdale was admitted into the band, with bassist Glenn Hughes adding his own vocals as well.

In February 1974, Deep Purple released their first album with Coverdale and Hughes titled Burn which was certified Gold in the US on 20 March 1974[4] and in the UK on 1 July. In April 1974, Coverdale and Deep Purple performed to over 200,000 fans on his first trip to the United States at California Jam.

In December 1974 Burn was followed-up by Stormbringer, which also ranked at Gold album status in the US and the UK. The funk and soul influences of the previous record were even more prominent here, and this was one of the reasons why guitarist Ritchie Blackmore left the band in June 1975.[5]

Rather than disbanding, Coverdale was instrumental in persuading the band to continue with American guitarist Tommy Bolin (of Billy Cobham and The James Gang fame). As Jon Lord put it, "David Coverdale came up to me and said, 'Please keep the band together.' David played me the album that Tommy did with Billy Cobham. We liked his playing on it and invited Tommy to audition.'"[6] The band released one studio album with Bolin, Come Taste the Band in 1975. The album was less successful than previous records, and at the end of the tour in March 1976, Coverdale reportedly walked off in tears and handed in his resignation, to which he was told there was no band left to quit. The decision to disband Deep Purple had been made some time before the last show by Lord and Ian Paice (the last remaining original members), who had not told anyone else. The break-up was finally made public in July 1976. Said Coverdale in an interview: "I was frightened to leave the band. Purple was my life, Purple gave me my break, but all the same I wanted out."[7]

Solo (1977–1978)[edit]

Anyhow - yeah. I wish there were more multi-channel offerings with this release. I'll have to think about it.

It's gonna be a tough sell for those who are primarily interested in surround or who aren't gaga for Whitesnake (or both).
Yet, this could be the kind of release that will generate some new surround fans, if the videos have good mixes.
I'm thinking of the Whitesnake diehards who bring this home, happen to have a HTS and like the video surround mixes.
4 songs isn't a long viewing session, it might not be daunting for a casual fan.

Awesome album. I just ordered the box set. When I first saw the video Crying In The Rain on MTV I became a Whitesnake fan for life. There last studio double disc called Purple is great, check it out. I heard recently that Coverdale is doing a remix/remaster of previous Whitesnake albums like Page did with Led Zep, so this release is way better than just remastered CD's.

Jon recently made a post about not complaining about what isn't released and being thankful for what is. It is along that line that my post was made. Go re-read his post, please. This appeared to be a good example of avoiding negativity and embracing something new to surround. Maybe we need to stop expressing that we don't want to buy something and not say anything. Just a thought...:rolleyes:

The thread title got me excited that we were getting the whole album in surround. I didn't read it closely. Bummer, as I really like this album.

To point how popular this box set is , my order has been delayed to Oct 26 and that rarely happens if at all. In the meantime I purchased the 24/96 stereo download today. Listening at 75.5db, it is what you would expect, not a BD or SACD where you can hear things that you didn't hear before. Coverdale and guitars are brutally awesome, I want the bass and drums to be a little more forward, but no. Cymbals resonate which is a good sign, keyboards sound great. In the end a tiny bit more detailed than my original CD which is good enough for me.
When the box set arrives I most likely will defer to the download but the extras and videos I am sure will be great.

I think for folks to say they aren't interested is a fair comment. What is wrong with that? I guess that's the opposite of saying I really want it. Hmmm...

I initially thought I wan't interested...but I dunno. I might be.

I tend to think Whitesnake was a very talented band with a lot of great tunes. I graduated in 1981 from high school, so obviously WS were a big part of my past. David Coverdale is a great musician. IMO.

I had originally planned on a long soul searching post...but I opted not to go that route...I think most on here know that I grew tired of all the negative posts on here...I mean a new release is lucky to get a hour before all the demands/complaints come rolling in...the sense of entitlement has gotten worse...I think Jon got tired of seeing that too...'
I would just like to answer my friend(Gos)in this post....he states that people saying they aren't interested is a fair comment....I can't say it's unfair.....but is it necessary?.....does it have any real value?...the product isn't going to be changed to fit the whims of posters who want it changed by posting your decision not to order it...

Those are just my thoughts...if you think you are posting valuable information...by all means continue:)

Let me take a moment to express my gratitude to rtbluray for posting these releases....his contributions to the forum are awesome(y)

Drumroll, please!

So, Mark~E, how's the 5.1 portion? Looks like a great boxset!

Nice little video. Are you gonna dance :banana: around in your skivvies tonight donning a blonde wig....like Mr. Coverdale? :yikes

Screw Surround Sound I just want to have sex all night with Tawny Kitaen. I’ll say more later, for now, not discrete but super great fun music, gives grunge rock a run for there money. Perfect Rhino box set.

Back