Moody Blues Days of Future Passed (50th Anniversary Edition with Surround Sound DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076492ZVC/

Due for release on 17th November 2017 comes the 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of the Moody Blues’ Days Of Future Passed. This 2CD/DVD deluxe set includes the full original 1967 stereo mix, which is being released on CD here for the first time. Due to a damaged master tape of the original mix, the album had been remixed in stereo in 1972 and since then it is this later mix, which has been used on all CD reissues. Now that technology allows for the original master to be repaired, the album can be fully represented on CD1 of the set for the first time as well as on the 180gm vinyl. The vinyl version also contains a download code. This new set also includes a 5.1 surround sound mix derived from the original 1972 Quad mix. Additionally the DVD comprises previously unreleased video footage of the band performing three key tracks from the album at MIDEM on 24th January 1968, eight weeks after its release. The 2CD/DVD set includes a poster designed by Ray Thomas.

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. THE DAY BEGINS
2. DAWN: Dawn Is A Feeling
3. THE MORNING: Another Morning
4. LUNCH BREAK: Peak Hour
5. THE AFTERNOON: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?) / Time To Get Away
6. EVENING: The Sun Set: Twilight Time
7. THE NIGHT: Nights In White Satin
8. Long Summer Days
9. Think About It
10. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
11. Love And Beauty
12. Leave This Man Alone
13. Peak Hour
14. Nights In White Satin
15. Fly Me High
16. Twilight Time

Disc: 2
1. THE DAY BEGINS
2. DAWN: Dawn Is A Feeling
3. THE MORNING: Another Morning
4. LUNCH BREAK: Peak Hour
5. THE AFTERNOON: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?) / Time To Get Away
6. EVENING: The Sun Set: Twilight Time
7. THE NIGHT: Nights In White Satin
8. Tuesday Afternoon (Alternate Mix)
9. DAWN: Dawn Is A Feeling (Alternate Mix)
10. The Sun Set (Alternate Version without orchestra)
11. Twilight Time (Original vocal mix)
12. I Really Haven't Got The Time (B - side single)
13. Fly Me High (A - side single)
14. Love And Beauty (A - side single)
15. Leave This Man Alone (B - Side single)
16. Nights In White Satin (A - side single)
17. Cities (B - side single)

Disc: 3
1. 1 Surround Sound Mix & 96kHz / 24 - bit 1967 stereo mix

Should have gone with Blu-Ray, then buying this set would be a no-brainer. Because it's likely to just be DVD-V, it's a toss-up...

The quad mix is redundant to the SACD. However I wish I knew what the differences are between the 1967 and 1972 stereo mixes. If significant, then I would probably go for this set as it is only 22 Quid. Anyone know?

The info on this disc is that they managed to "rescue " the original master tapes, something they were unable to do before but because of today's technology they can now present the original mix (stereo ).

So now I wonder if "today's technology" can revive or rescue the multi's for LOST CHORD ? Would be nice to be able to get that album in 5.1 or QUAD , finally .

I have this disc (DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED) on both SACD and DTS CD and find the DTS CD a bit more preferred as it seems to me to be "brighter " in sound .
And I assume this cd/dvd will be in DTS as it states it is a 96/24 Quad presentation . Will definitely consider this purchase as the price is very reasonable and well it's a quad mix (72) from a 1967 release . (y)

So now I wonder if "today's technology" can revive or rescue the multi's for LOST CHORD ? Would be nice to be able to get that album in 5.1 or QUAD , finally .

My understanding is that the tapes necessary for a multi ISotLC were lost :(

I have the SACD series, so I doubt I'll pursue this one (not my favorite MB album, at any rate).

The info on this disc is that they managed to "rescue " the original master tapes, something they were unable to do before but because of today's technology they can now present the original mix (stereo ).

I have this disc (DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED) on both SACD and DTS CD and find the DTS CD a bit more preferred as it seems to me to be "brighter " in sound .
And I assume this cd/dvd will be in DTS as it states it is a 96/24 Quad presentation . Will definitely consider this purchase as the price is very reasonable and well it's a quad mix (72) from a 1967 release . (y)

I ordered it...at the price point(around $30 with shipping included)right now it certainly is affordable and there is a chance that price could drop further as more retail outlets places become available...

My Canadian pressing of the LP luckily contained the original mix so this means that I'll be getting this version so I can get a clean digital version of it. My preferred version for the Multichannel mix is the DTS CD and for the Stereo remix the 1st West German CD pressing (which beats the MFSL CD). So I'm getting this solely for the original Stereo Mix, but I'm sure the booklet will feature some nice notes and pics.

Hi I've never heard the 1967 mix. Does it differ significantly from the later one?

Hi I've never heard the 1967 mix. Does it differ significantly from the later one?

I find the original mix much more cohesive. The first time I heard it, some of the songs made more sense.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Original and later mix[edit]

In 1978 the album was remixed because of the apparent deterioration of the master tapes.[15] Digital releases of the album have used this remix. Some compilations, however, have used the original 1967 stereo mix for some songs.[16] The original mix of the entire album has been transferred digitally, for possible release, but has not been used in favour of the remix.[17]

The ways in which the later mix departs most noticeably from the original are:

Here's the original mix. Look out for the most glaring difference at the 25:00 mark in Evening, Time To Get Away. The missing backing vocals are present and the song is much better for it.

[video]=youtube;Qby2PXRSX_Q]

Have the original stereo LP but have not played it for a very long time so don't know what is different from the 72 stereo Cd. Be a while before i'm home to check it out. Even though I have the quad 8 track, quad reel, sacd and dts disc I will purchase this as it's one of my all time favorite albums. A no brainer.

Well, at the very least, one would be getting a bone fide 96/24 DVD~A stereo transfer of the original mix which itself is worth the price of admission but I do agree with rt bluray that a BD~A/V would've been much more preferable since I'm sure the videos were shot on film rather than low res video which would've translated better to BD.

But seriously, DTS 5.1 in 2017 for the 50th Anniversary Of DOFP is really kinda chintzy!

Who am I kidding? I'll probably end up buying this.
"Days of Future Passed" is one of my favorite albums of all time (and my favorite Moody Blues album) and I'm starting to listen to SACDs less and less, meaning I end up listening more to my Blu-Ray and DVD-A/V (or DVD-V) titles.

At some point, there should also be a DVD & Blu-Ray release of the 2017 "Days of Future Passed 50th Anniversary" tour.
The band filmed two shows in Toronto this year backed by a full symphony orchestra.
That should be amazing!

:)

Who am I kidding? I'll probably end up buying this.
"Days of Future Passed" is one of my favorite albums of all time (and my favorite Moody Blues album) and I'm starting to listen to SACDs less and less, meaning I end up listening more to my Blu-Ray and DVD-A/V (or DVD-V) titles.

At some point, there should also be a DVD & Blu-Ray release of the 2017 "Days of Future Passed 50th Anniversary" tour.
The band filmed two shows in Toronto this year backed by a full symphony orchestra.
That should be amazing!

:)
That would be an instant purchase as well.

Out of nostalgia, I played the 5.1 SACD of Days of Future Passed tonight in its entirety and all I can say it sounds sublime. A perfect album and a gorgeous, spacious surround mix. I played it at Volume 75.

Doubtful I'll ever be playing it in stereo again.

Back