HELP! Totally new to DVD-A and SACD...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Musiknick

I listened to a DVD-A on my regular DVD player. I understand that a DVD-A player will really do the disc justice, but...is it true that a DVD-A player must be connected to a receiver/pre-amp via analog vs. digital in order to hear surround? If so, my pre-amp is equipped with only 6 RCA outputs (not inputs). So, I'd have to buy a new pre (or receiver) in order to experience surround?

Also, before I dive into a new player...any recommendations? Short list: Toshiba SD5700, Pioneer Elite DV-47A (does both DVD-A and SACD), and a few Denon models.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Yes, you need a 6 CH Input capable receiver to get the "real" 6 channel signal from a MultiChannel DVD-A or SACD.

The DV-47A took a bit of a beating here, but I just read a great review of it in a Home Theater magazine.

Of course, if your current receiver does DTS, and the DVD-A has a DTS track, you can still get the surround sound track.

:-jon

Yes as Jon noted, but you won't get the high res. 24 bit 192 stereo or the 24 bit 96khz. 5.1 surround. until you upgrade the receiver. They Aren't that expensive for a low budget one, so you could save up and still get decent sound in the mean time.

You can also hear the surround sound by listening to the Dolby Digital track. Not as good, but not bad.

The Quadfather

Thanks to all for your help. I was afraid of that (needing analog inputs)...

As I've heard two DVD-A titles now in Dolby Digital on my Pioneer Elite DV-09 (Richard Thompson's "Rumour and Sigh" [in dts] and Grateful Dead's "American Beauty"), I am amazed at the sound and find it hard to imagine any DVD-A player making it sound even better! However...I'm researching and will likely be buying one soon. Sounds better than vinyl as it is IMHO!

Also, if I can upgrade my current pre-amp for a reasonable price, that's my plan. But if not, I located a 5-channel analog pre-amp for $500 new that would do the trick (though I'm already out of shelf space!).

Two questions:

--- Where can I find a review (or two) on the Pioneer Elite DV-47A, which I'm leaning toward only because it supports both DVD-A and SACD? Maybe it would be better to purchase two separate players if the DV-47A is that bad???

--- Where can I find the widest range of available titles at a decent price?

Thanks in advance again!

Howdy and welcome!

What receiver are you currently using? I'm just curious since it may have 5.1 input capability and you just don't realize it.

I buy most of my DVD-A discs from www.dvdplanet.com. You can find cheaper prices on individual titles elsewhere, but for OVERALL selection and price, I really like them.

DV-47A's are sold fairly cheaply on eBay.
Here is a link...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...1370530740

NOTE: I do not have anything to say about this seller, good or bad. I have never purchased from him. I just did an eBay search and this is the first one that came up

Cai, I'm now using a B&K Reference 20 processor, which has analog outputs but no inputs. I believe the current model (Reference 30) has the necessary inputs. If that's true and if I can get a decent trade-in deal from a B&K dealer, then I plan to buy a Ref. 30. I know that the B&K products are upgradeable, but I don't know if that would help me out in this case. If you know something I don't, I'd love to hear about it! Thanks, also, for the tip (DVDPlanet). And thanks, Jon, for the eBay research. I've read more about the DV-47A thanks to you, and it doesn't seem to be the best choice (inferior SACD, apparently).

Thanks again, guys!

Here is a link where you maybe able to get an upgrade to 5.1. I'm not sure if it's what you want but worth looking into, as they do high end equipment!
www.msbtech.com/ Go to the section on the left and click on upgrades and look for 5.1 and go from there.
Rob

I checked the link you posted, and I'm very familiar with MSB. My processor already decodes Dolby Digital and dts, so I don't think that's what I need. But, since MSB offers so many solutions to similar problems, I just wrote to them and explained my situation. Thanks for the link, and thanks for the idea. I never would have thought to ask them, and they very well may have a solution for me.

Thank you!

You are right. The B&K Reference 20 does not have a 5.1 input. Bummer. I was also able to confirm that the Reference 30 does have the 5.1 input. So, a trade-up might be a good way to go if you are happy with the unit and can get a good deal.

Your welcome and thats what we're here for !
They maybe able to do a 5.1 in at a lower cost being that's all you need- You'll have to weigh your options as to what you want versus if you want to keep the one you have , or trade up the unit , or go with an outboard converter to convert to digital then in to your unit ? Does it have a digital in thou!?- Either way you have a choice. Take your time , think them out as to what you hope to us it for down the road. Is it worth the cost to upgrade.. or trade up, or go with a newer unit with all the bells and whistles. In the end only you know whats best for you and or your budget!

Don't be afraid to run it by anyone here, as they say 2 heads are better than one!
8o
Rob

Thanks to all for the help and the kind welcome. I think I may be in business soon.

After learning that my B&K could be upgraded after all (to include analog inputs for surround), I was happy until I realized that I'd lose my coax digital inputs and that I could solve my problem for almost half the price of the upgrade. I ordered a 5-channel analog pre-amp and a DVD-A player which I'll have by tomorrow. So what if I need an extra shelf??? Maybe this will force me to sell a few things I seldom use anyway...If the thing doesn't do the trick, it's returnable, so why not???

I'll keep you posted, and I thank you all for your valuable assistance!

Altlhough I have used DVDPlanet.com for some time, I find that DVDEmpire has a greater selection of discs - AIX and Tacet and Hi Res Music which are not carried by Planet.

DVD Empire does have a better selection of discs, and they are more likely to have titles in stock. Also, their site is much more responsive and easier to navigate. However, the price of their DVD-A discs is considerably higher than DVD Planet. I use DVD Empire as my backup to get titles that never seem to be in stock at DVD Planet.

I've already ordered from both DVD Empire and DVD Planet, and I agree with both of you re: selection, responsiveness and price. (Anybody know where I can find Eric Johnson's DVD-A???)

I just got my 5-channel pre and a Denon DV-3800 today. (When I get the itch, I research for a short while and go for it!) So far, I definitely hear a difference between my regular DVD player and the Denon, but it's not as substantial as I'd expected. The extra link in the chain (the analog amp) is causing my already-buzzing amp to buzz even more, too, so it's not an ideal set-up. My amp isn't bad. It's always given off a slight buzz and I've read that most find this with the B&K. But with the new edition, it's fairly loud and distracting. Oh well...

I've got 29 days to play and decide...As of now, the Denon is somewhat of a disappointment (quality-wise), though I haven't even tried it as a DVD player. Maybe I'm spoiled cuz of my Pioneer Elite DV-09...But 2-channel DVD-A (via the Denon) sounds GREAT w/ my stereo-only set-up! What to do...???

More later...I've got work to do!

I've already ordered from both DVD Empire and DVD Planet, and I agree with both of you re: selection, responsiveness and price. (Anybody know where I can find Eric Johnson's DVD-A???)

I think my Best Buy here has 3 copies. Is it really that rare? Let me know if you want one, maybe I can get one for you.

Back