Help... I have an XP problem... I think

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I had WinME on my computer and it worked perfectly with my M-Audio Delta 410 sound card to pass through DTS wavs to my receiver to play surround stuff.

I upgraded to XP and installed the proper drivers for my sound card. No problem... until I tried to play a DTS wav. My DTS light lights up... the lights for the all the available channels (LF, Center, RF, LR, RR) all light up but no sound!!

The card is set to 44k, all my software is set to play through the SPDIF out just like with WinME but I get no sound at all. I have the latest drivers for the card and even M-Audio is stumped. I set the main output in Control Panel to default to the SPDIF out. I just don't get it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

Bob,

Make sure that all software mixers and volume controls are maxed out. If they are even down a tiny bit, you will get the white noise.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for the card and the latest Windows Update. You should have XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), then do a windows update and get everything you see.

If you are still having a problem, give M-Audio a call, I tired one of their cards and could not get it to work, so I went back to my Yamaha. Maybe there is something flakey about this company and WinXP, although they claim they are OK.

You will like XP *MUCH* better than Me. There is lightyears of difference.

:-jon

Ok...

I downloaded all the updates from Microsoft and M-Audio. Installed all the updates. Moved the soundcard to a different slot because MAudio says that the card cant share any IRQ with anything else (it did in WinME and worked fine by the way).

This is the weird part... I get a DTS light and all the individual channel lights on my reciever. I can page around through my different settings like virtual stereo, prologic, stereo etc. When it gets to DTS all the lights start to flash like the signal is being interupted or resent to the receiver.

Could this be caused by an unstable signal. Everything is maxed out volumewise. And normal 44k wavs play fine so I know the connection is ok. I can also play DTS from my regular DVD player into the same receiver with no problem.

Can you use a Santa Cruz card to play DTS wavs? I read the instructions and it says that it automatically upsamples to 48k no matter what the original sampling rate is. I don't think that will do for DTS through the SPDIF but I am not sure....

Thanks for any help again.

Bob

PS If this needs to be moved to hardware please do.

Bob,

Like I said before, I went crazy when I bought an M-Audio card and tried to get it to do DTS. I eventually ended up selling it on eBay and reinstalling my Yamaha.

Like you, I did EVERYTHING and updated all drivers. My DTS light came on, but all I got was white noise. I called Sweetwater Music (WHere I bought the card), and they were very helpful, and said that they contacted M-Audio and that my card should pass the DTS signal.

I called M-Audio, and THEY said the card would pass the signal.

In the end, the only thing the card passed was the Post Office on the way to its new owner! :D

I would like to know, is ANYBODY out there using a current model M-Audio card with Windows XP that is able to output a DTS signal???

Anybody???

:-jon

Hell yeah!!

M-Audio claims that passing a DTS signal SHOULD be no problem. I actually went back to WinMe just because of the problem I was having. Now I need XP because I want to do DVD Authoring and I need the 4GB+ file size of NTFS in XP. Once again the sound card doesnt work (though normal wavs work fine through the SPDIF). I am actually thinking about doing a dual boot system just so I don't have to fork out another $200.00+ for a new sound card. Although the Ebay route seems like it might be worth checking out. Man am I pissed! M-Audio has a new driver (as of dec or jan) but it didn't work any better than the old one. They told me to check my IRQ, move the card to a different slot, reinstall the drivers after uninstalling the old one... you know the drill.

:mad:

Hi Guy's
Aint it neat how XP just hijacks anything your doing.
I ran into the 4gig limit on some ntsc I was trying to record using my ATI8500dv pvr program. It's been a while but I thought it was the FAT32 hddrv that had the limit.

Anyway what I figured out for record was that it was a 4gig limit per incident of recording, so I did timed recordings that would bring me to 3.9 gigs and then set up another record with 30 second breaks in between. When you play them in File player they WILL play concurently without any action from you.

I have a MAYA Gold from Audiotrak and have had very similar diifficulties so I can't solve it but I empathize. Maybee a windows ME partition would help!!

Peter m.

Bob,

Now that I've finished 2 solid weeks of travel, I'll try my 410 card(s) for DTS passage this weekend. I've got one in a Dell 1.8Ghz XP and my old Compaq 600Mhz Athlon XP...

ME (miserable excuse) pales next to XP's benefits, I'll dedicate some time to this. ;)

Thanks Tim...

I just did a conversion of the new Toto live in Amsterdam...

I made the DTS wave from a conversion of the ac3 (6 mono wavs converted to DTS)

In CD Architect I had to use one of the mono wavs to place the track marks then replace it with the DTS wav to burn the cd. What a pain in the ass!!

I would really like to get something to work (although I don't hold out much hope for the 410).

Bob

Didn't get any project time this week, but still wondering about passing DTS thru the 410 card. Since I can't encode, is it reasonable to copy a DTS track and attempt to pass it through the 410 to feed a decoder? Is that the proper test?

timbre4 said:
Didn't get any project time this week, but still wondering about passing DTS thru the 410 card. Since I can't encode, is it reasonable to copy a DTS track and attempt to pass it through the 410 to feed a decoder? Is that the proper test?

That's what I would try. When things work properly, I can play a DTS wav through any program, even Winamp. I purchased a Soundblaster USB Audigy 2 NX card and after about 20 minutes of setup it worked perfectly. At first I couldn't get any sound so I played around with and changed one of the settings from 16 bit to 24 bit and it worked like a charm!!

Back