Music DVD Poll Queen - The DVD Collection, Greatest Video Hits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Queen - Greatest Video Hits"

• Total voters
Has anyone involved with the project ever explained why the majority of tracks were in '70s quad style, rather than 5.1? The fact that they are not 5.1 is fascinating in itself, and makes one wonder if some (all?) of those mixes were made for quad albums that were never issued...which, if true, then makes one wonder if the 5.1 remixes also had a 4-channel equivalent we've yet to hear?

But yeah, if you love multichannel you gotta have this one, video on or off....

ED :)

Good stuff! Thanks for reminding of this title. I haven't played it enough lately.
This is what I love about this forum, always works as the great surround reminder for me. :D

cheers all

Has anyone involved with the project ever explained why the majority of tracks were in '70s quad style, rather than 5.1? The fact that they are not 5.1 is fascinating in itself, and makes one wonder if some (all?) of those mixes were made for quad albums that were never issued...which, if true, then makes one wonder if the 5.1 remixes also had a 4-channel equivalent we've yet to hear?

But yeah, if you love multichannel you gotta have this one, video on or off....

ED :)

Yes - I have wondered. Keep asking if anyone else has noticed too (see above).
I have been told on very good authority that ANATO definitely existed in Quad. I have 2 tracks from it in Quad "BoRhap" & "YMBF" - these were the only 2 my friend dubbed as he did not know an of the others.
Queen 2 decodes via QS very nicely too. Or was it SQ - I cannot remember, but it certainly decodes very nicely.

Still waiting two years on from my last comment where is GVH 3?

Now that Universal have Queens' back catalogue, who knows you might well get that GVH III,
they're milking their old stuff for all it's worth (just as they should!).. if not then there's bound to be more Queen DVDs before long.

I've no insider knowledge but I'd say "watch this space"..! Well, not just QQ of course but the net in general!

Both sets are highly compressed so i gave it a 6. Terrible mastering!

Has anyone A/B'd these with the DVD-A's?
Are the latter any less compressed?

The original ANATO DTS-CD is beautiful, the DVD-A is hit a bit harder (and has different mixes of course) and the 30th anniversary edition is butchered. Sadly, you are correct about the mastering on these discs - it is not pretty

The original ANATO DTS-CD is beautiful, the DVD-A is hit a bit harder (and has different mixes of course) and the 30th anniversary edition is butchered. Sadly, you are correct about the mastering on these discs - it is not pretty

I need the original!

Hmmm, I stumbled on a DVD-V at Walmart yesterday titled Queen Greatest Video Hits I. It's got a 2012 copyright date and says it's licensed to Eagle Rock Entertainment, LTD. Giving it a second listen as I type. Now I know I don't have the most discerning of ears but it sounds pretty good to me right now. For sure a 5.1 mix at least as best as I can tell. Near the end of Bicycle Race where you have the bells moving around the two front speakers and the center were all playing different tracks. It does state, "Audio remixed for DTS 5.1 surround Sound. Needless to say, for $10 I am happy with it, LOL!

I had a friend over on the weekend and he is a big Queen fan. He had never heard anything in surround sound so I put the Queen DVD's on, he was very impressed !!

Now that Universal have Queens' back catalogue, who knows you might well get that GVH III,
they're milking their old stuff for all it's worth (just as they should!).. if not then there's bound to be more Queen DVDs before long.

I've no insider knowledge but I'd say "watch this space"..! Well, not just QQ of course but the net in general!

still waiting for the milking... ;(

Hmmm, I stumbled on a DVD-V at Walmart yesterday titled Queen Greatest Video Hits I. It's got a 2012 copyright date and says it's licensed to Eagle Rock Entertainment, LTD. Giving it a second listen as I type. Now I know I don't have the most discerning of ears but it sounds pretty good to me right now. For sure a 5.1 mix at least as best as I can tell. Near the end of Bicycle Race where you have the bells moving around the two front speakers and the center were all playing different tracks. It does state, "Audio remixed for DTS 5.1 surround Sound. Needless to say, for $10 I am happy with it, LOL!

Is there more than one version of bicycle race? I am surprised Walmart would sell a video that has hundreds of naked girls riding around on bikes! Concur it is a great DVD. I enjoy almost every track, especially ahem, the one with bicycles...

Is there more than one version of bicycle race? I am surprised Walmart would sell a video that has hundreds of naked girls riding around on bikes! Concur it is a great DVD. I enjoy almost every track, especially ahem, the one with bicycles...

LOL, well I was listening more than watching but I do know at the beginning they were creative with the video not to show anything. So yeah it's edited. I've never seen the real video so didn't know I was missing something...

Mine is a 2-DVD set from 2002 and says made in the EU, licensed to EMI. I imagine the "Bicycle Race" track is the only difference. The video "enhancements" really are not all that special, it is kind of silly more than anything else - boobies and butt cheeks.

"The video for the song became scandalously famous for featuring 65 naked women, all professional models, racing at Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium. It was filmed by Dennis de Vallance. The group rented the stadium and several dozen bikes for one day for filming the scene; however, when the renting company became aware of the way their bikes were used, they requested the group to purchase all the bicycle seats."

Mine is a 2-DVD set from 2002 and says made in the EU, licensed to EMI. I imagine the "Bicycle Race" track is the only difference. The video "enhancements" really are not all that special, it is kind of silly more than anything else - boobies and butt cheeks.

"The video for the song became scandalously famous for featuring 65 naked women, all professional models, racing at Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium. It was filmed by Dennis de Vallance. The group rented the stadium and several dozen bikes for one day for filming the scene; however, when the renting company became aware of the way their bikes were used, they requested the group to purchase all the bicycle seats."

I honestly wasn't paying attention to the videos on this, just listening to the music. So I need to look again to see what that video even is. But today I received my new copy of Steven Wilson's Insurgentes CD/DVD-A and have that in the Oppo. Enjoying it too much to worry about checking out the Queen video. (y)

"The video for the song became scandalously famous for featuring 65 naked women, all professional models, racing at Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium. It was filmed by Dennis de Vallance. ...."
Filmed on VHS at the EP speed from the looks of it.

Back