HiRez Poll Blank, Boris - RESONANCE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Blank, Boris - RESONANCE

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
10 all the way on this. If you are a Yello fan, you know what to expect. This is a bit more mellow and much more ambient than a typical Yello album, but it sounds phenomenal! Very active surround mix. Demo caliber disc.

Last edited:
Atmos mix credited to David Merkl and Stefan Bock, the masters behind the revered Yello Point mix. No surprise that this one is every bit as excellent. I agree that Resonance is more mellow overall, but I'm finding that the variety makes for an easier listen compared to Point, which I found could be fatiguing to finish some times, even though Resonance is 10 minutes longer. Stylistically I'm often reminded of John Carpenter's work (Christine maybe?), with a bit of Vangelis's Blade Runner also. IDK. It's quite good. Will enjoy giving this one many more listens.

I've read that the music was composed as a contractor work for a swiss "Wellness Bath" near Zurich designed by a star architect. Also "Fraunhofer Institute" (inventor of mp3) was involved in creating the spatial 3D sound for this project. So no surprise this one sounds more ambient than usual.

Boris is not firing Blanks.

Yes, this has a gentle feeling to it but to my ears it's a good feeling.

The mix is outstanding. Reference quality.

I was looking forward to hearing this and I am not disappointed. This type of music is right up my street.

A resonating 10

PS: Perhaps Jonathan could arrange an interview with Stefan Bock? Or, and not forgetting, Mike could on 'LinS'.

I completed an interview with Boris Blank the other day and posted the updated article on my site. It also includes a few comments from Stefan Bock too. You may find the article at - https://www.hiresedition.com/review/electronica/boris-blank-resonance.html

This has fast become my favorite album of this year. Sure its not EDM, Techno, or whatever else one would call Yello, but the music creates a mood that is engaging, ambient at its core, yet still will take listeners on a aural journey... oh yeah, watch the videos too.

I completed an interview with Boris Blank the other day and posted the updated article on my site. It also includes a few comments from Stefan Bock too. You may find the article at - https://www.hiresedition.com/review/electronica/boris-blank-resonance.html

This has fast become my favorite album of this year. Sure its not EDM, Techno, or whatever else one would call Yello, but the music creates a mood that is engaging, ambient at its core, yet still will take listeners on a aural journey... oh yeah, watch the videos too.
Excellent work on the review. Thank you for the link. Resonance is sublime.

Bought this and I am impressed, even from the CD which I listend to!! Boris surpassed himself!!
Interesting interview on "Electronic Cafe's" YT Channel with Boris Blank:

Voted 9. To position this vote I gave Yello's The Point an 8.

Both these are absolute stellar regarding the sound quality and Atmos mix. For me the different tracks differ between 5-10 on The Point and between 8-9 on Resonance, hence my voting.

Both discs are faboulus Dolby Atmos demo discs.

Last edited:
This disc is just excellent! I am finally hearing it in Atmos (since I don't have a system myself), and myself and my host agree that this is one of the best Atmos mixes we have heard. I have rated this an easy 10, and all future 10s must be weighed against this one. It recently occurred to me that if one is voting in a poll and thinks "my only reservation, criticism, problem..." whatever, then that should automatically make the poll rating a maximum of 9. I can vote this a 10 with no reservations whatsoever!

One more comment I can make is that if you like this, you might like Diatonis. It is not in Atmos, nor is it quite as active as this, although it IS active in 5.1. But this is what the Boris Blank music reminded me of on first impression.

https://diatonis.gumroad.com/

This disc is just excellent! I am finally hearing it in Atmos (since I don't have a system myself), and myself and my host agree that this is one of the best Atmos mixes we have heard. I have rated this an easy 10, and all future 10s must be weighed against this one. It recently occurred to me that if one is voting in a poll and thinks "my only reservation, criticism, problem..." whatever, then that should automatically make the poll rating a maximum of 9. I can vote this a 10 with no reservations whatsoever!
I definitively agree. There are VERY few discs that I believe are worthy of a 10 rating, which truly represents perfection. This is by far my top choice, it is aural ecstasy. I typically don't vote in polls because I feel they are biased away from the center, which is the medium, the average, the norm. Thus, we should be seeing many 5 and 6's and a lot fewer 8, 9, and rarely 10's.

Back