Frank Zappa: Multichannel project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with 818-PUMPKIN and even they are being tight-lipped about this release. The voice at the other end did say that they have "a bunch" of stuff coing out really soon. I asked if it would be sometime in September and he said he couldn't really say at this point however he did say to keep a close lookout.

Frank said:
Possible album title: Quaudiophiliac

does anyone know what is on this release it is starting to appear in plenty of online stores now !

Always wanting to know more :banana: :banana: :banana:

rusinurbe said:
does anyone know what is on this release it is starting to appear in plenty of online stores now !

Always wanting to know more :banana: :banana: :banana:

Here is the skinny as I have it right now:

"I've only heard a 2-track CDR as yet - it's a really interesting
collection of material from Lumpy Gravy through to Sheik Yerbouti / Shut
Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar era, including a blistering guitar solo with
Bozzio on drums from what sounds like the Bongo Fury era. Promos should
be available in a couple of weeks, so hold your horses!

No word yet on the Apostrophe / Overnite / Chunga's / Roxy Quad mixes -
I think Gail's sitting on them at present"

There's a large article/interview with D Zappa in the british Sound on Sound magazine... Haven't read it yet.. Just browsed it.. But he speaks about MC rereleses...

After a search of the internet:

FRANK ZAPPA - QUAUDIOPHILIAC
FORMAT : DVD AUDIO
CAT.NO. : DTS 1125
BARCODE: 0692860112599
LABEL: DTS ENTERTAINMENT
Release date: September 24, 2004
Frank Zappa famously remixed much of his early 1970's material Quadrophonically, with the usual breathtaking sonic quality that he became world-famous for. QuAUDIOPHILIAc is the Holy Grail from these sessions for Zappa fans and completists around the world, presenting previously unreleased tracks alongside re-mixed and re-edited material from the huge FZ back-catalogue from Lumpy Gravy and Chunga's Revenge to Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage and Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar - all in spectacular Quadrophonic Surround!

Ouaudiophiliac Tracklisting:

TRACK ALBUM - YEAR
Naval Aviation in Art? (Orchestral Favorites - 75)
Lumpy Gravy (Lumpy Gravy - 67)
Rollo (Unreleased - 72 or 75)
Drooling Midrange
Accountants on Easter Hay (Joe's Garage - 79)
Wild Love (Sheik Yerbouti - 78)
Ship Ahoy (Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar - 76)
Chunga Basement (Chunga's Revenge - 70)
Venusion Time Bandits (Unreleased - ?)
Waka/Jawaka (Waka/Jawaka - 72)
Basement Music #2 (Unreleased - 78)

Niiiice. It's good to know that some of the early stuff will be available in quad since I'm assuming that tape damage to the early multis will render future remixes impossible (hence the re-recorded bass & drums for the first issue CD of "We're Only In It For the Money").

Zappa didn't replace the bass and drums in "We're only in it for the money" due to tape damage to the multitracks, he did it because he could. The 2 track masters were in such bad shape he had to go back to the multitrack masters, and he wasn't satisfied with the original performances, so he decided to totally mutilate the whole album with those new bass and drum tracks. Thank god a backup 2 track master turned up, which is what they used for the current CD issue.

ArmyOfQuad said:
Zappa didn't replace the bass and drums in "We're only in it for the money" due to tape damage to the multitracks, he did it because he could. The 2 track masters were in such bad shape he had to go back to the multitrack masters, and he wasn't satisfied with the original performances, so he decided to totally mutilate the whole album with those new bass and drum tracks. Thank god a backup 2 track master turned up, which is what they used for the current CD issue.

Geez, I thought it was damage to the multis all this time. Doesn't surprise me, though, that he would want to make the material "better" based on how meticulously he handled the presentation of his catalogue.

Strangley enough, the 80's versions are what I'm used to at this point, having heard those first and played them incessantly. I'll have to put the original version on again...

Back