Opeth "Ghost Reveries" CD/DVD w/5.1 mix 10/31

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Roadrunner Records has finally set the date (10/31) for the "deluxe" CD/DVD reissue of last year's "Ghost Reveries." For the uninitiated, Opeth is a Swedish Death Metal band with heavy prog leanings. Their previous release, "Damnation "(Koch Records), was produced by and featured fretwork by PT's own Steven Wilson.

Ghost Reveries is a mix of etheral prog combined with a swift kick in the pants of demonized speed metal passages. This may not be everyone's cup of tea. If you are a Porcupine Tree fan you will find more than enough to hold your interest. The DVD will feature a 5.1 mix of the entire album. Those with trepidation can sample a few tracks here - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/Opeth/

More info on the band can be found here - http://www.allmusicguide.com just type in Opeth in the search engine at top of the screen - plenty of info to be had(y)

The music is cool, but I dislike the Cookie Monster vocals:

I agree on the Cookie Monster vocals although that is the "de rigeur" for Swedish Death Metal. I do however find it fascinating that it is the same vocalist doing the "Steven Wilson" style vocal as the Cookie Monster - man that must hurt!

The music is cool, but I dislike the Cookie Monster vocals:

I agree on the Cookie Monster vocals although that is the "de rigeur" for Swedish Death Metal. I do however find it fascinating that it is the same vocalist doing the "Steven Wilson" style vocal as the Cookie Monster - man that must hurt!

Er, someone tell me we're doing a DVD-A of this....?!

Well, finally some music that I like will be making it's way to 5.1

I do however have the Dimmu Borgir new album on DVD-A and it is a KILLER!!!!

please God make Iron Maiden issue their albums on DVD-A

Seventh son of a seventh son is a MUST

Well, finally some music that I like will be making it's way to 5.1

I do however have the Dimmu Borgir new album on DVD-A and it is a KILLER!!!!

please God make Iron Maiden issue their albums on DVD-A

Seventh son of a seventh son is a MUST

Sadly, you will not be seeing any back catalog on DVD-A, unless Maiden funds it themselves. The chances are slim and none.

I love Opeth's music and the regular vocals. The guitar work is incredible... What I wish they wouldn't do is those "monster" vocals. The music is so great that I just want it with out the excess of the processed vocals.

Hey daved64, how do you know that? Do you have some inside info

I have Brave New World on Minidisc and Dance of Death on DVD-A

maybe we have a slight chance?

Hey daved64, how do you know that? Do you have some inside info

I have Brave New World on Minidisc and Dance of Death on DVD-A

maybe we have a slight chance?

Well, I'm pessimistic seeing as there are not too many back catalog releases going on these days (ie you probably won't see Number Of The Beast). Unless there is a Doors or Talking Heads kind of box, I don't see it happening. Is their back catalog on Capitol? They seem to be the worst for hi rez.

Well, I'm pessimistic seeing as there are not too many back catalog releases going on these days (ie you probably won't see Number Of The Beast). Unless there is a Doors or Talking Heads kind of box, I don't see it happening. Is their back catalog on Capitol? They seem to be the worst for hi rez.

EMI in the UK so probably Capitol in the US !

EMI in the UK so probably Capitol in the US !

The Iron Maiden catalogue has moved around quite a bit since 1993 where it was at the time with Capitol in the US. It currently resides along with their latest new release with Sanctuary via SonyBMG here in the states - in regards to the possibility of a surround release via SonyBMG - like we say here in NY "fagettaboudit"

This is quite an unusual release - alternating etheral prog rock passages with speed metal interludes. "Cookie Monster" growls give way to Greg Lake/King Crimsonesque vocal croons. The band possesses a musical prowess that makes even the sections with cookie monster vocals compelling.

The DVD portion of this CD/DVD deluxe version (very nice packaging too!) contains the entire CD album (unfortunately without the very good bonus track cover of Deep Purple"s classic "Soldier Of Fortune") mixed in both 5.1 DTS and DD. There is also a 40 minute "making of" video and a director's cut of the video "The Grand Conjunction" - neither the video or the documentary are in 5.1. The sub and surrounds are given a good workout and highlight the studio sheen applied to this record. Standout tracks are the lead track "Ghost of Perdition," "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" and cookie monster free tracks "Atonement," "Hours of Wealth," and "Isolation Years" which are worth the price of admission alone.

I found this available on Yourmusic.com for $13.98 (2 discs at $6.99/disc) with free shipping. Porcupine Tree/Crimson/Jethro Tull/Yes fans will all find something of value here - don't be afraid of the Cookie Monster!

Back