TesseracT - "Polaris" CD/DVD set with 5.1 mix by Bruce Soord

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't judge the surround mix yet but drums are easily heard in the stereo mix. Kick drum is definitely very interesting. It's true that the snare is louder than the rest, and if you only hear it I'm sure it sounds very repetitive.

Regarding the Meshuggah resemblance, you just need to type both bands' names and do a Google search to read a lot of messages claiming they're a Meshuggah clone/rip off (which they're not by any strecht in my opinion, but the influence is obvious anyway). First track of this new albums sounds especially like Meshuggah. I respect your opinion keenly, I read this forum from long ago and can see you know what you're talking about, but being myself both a Meshuggah and Tesseract fan I do see MANY common musical elements between both bands, and I'm not exactly the only one who thinks so.

Yep, pretty annoying actually, ruins the album and mix for me.

This arrived to today, a wild card purchase on my part as I hadn't heard any TesseracT before (I'd only read a bit about them in Prog magazine). Not quite my usual fare, which is why I bought it, otherwise you get stuck in a musical rut. So pleasantly surprised, from only one listen of the 5.1 DTS I like most of the music and most of the mix. Its one I think I'll have to listen to a few times to get into.

This arrived to today, a wild card purchase on my part as I hadn't heard any TesseracT before (I'd only read a bit about them in Prog magazine). Not quite my usual fare, which is why I bought it, otherwise you get stuck in a musical rut. So pleasantly surprised, from only one listen of the 5.1 DTS I like most of the music and most of the mix. Its one I think I'll have to listen to a few times to get into.

:confused::yikes

Any other thoughts on this release? It sounds decent in stereo, but I haven't taken the plunge and ordered the 5.1 yet.

Yep, I said I would give it a 6 but I would change that to a 4 now. Loud snare is the turd in the punch bowl, just too annoying. Most of it sounds like mush. No excuse for digital clipping and that much compression on a non major label 5.1 release, but I would tolerate it if I could hear the rest of the drums. Please check for yourself.

My copy arrived today from Burningshed.
https://burningshed.com/formats/formats_5point1surround/teseract-polaris-cd-dvd-v
Playing it now.

The music is very proggy and metalistic!!!

Elements of a certain Steve Wilson's style of music, can be clearly heard.

The mix is slightly front centered but I have my rears upped for my own enjoyment. That helps the mix develop around me. It's a grower.
Actually as I go through the album, the mix is using more of the surrounds.

Playing it in DTS

Luckily, I ignored a certain persons previous comments.....

I can certainly recommend this release folks.

Back