Quadraphonic Home

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I've been working on a project that I'm really excited about and I can't contain myself any longer. I've just got to tell you guys about it. It's probably nothing terribly new for some of you but it has me all giddy just thinking about it.

My wife and I are in the process of building a new house (not literally, we hired a builder). As part of the deal I wanted a distributed music system, but I wanted it to be quadraphonic and not stereo; you know, four speakers in the ceiling of each room instead of two.

I've been working with a contractor for the system and it took me a while to get him on the same page. He's been in the business for 16 years and he's never heard of anyone doing this. Even today, virtually all distributed music systems are stereo-based.

We came up with a plan, refined it, and I now have a design that works. Basically, I built a Windows Media Center PC with 2TB of storage to work as the front end. Since I already have a huge investment in DTS media I'm going to stick with DTS as my digital music format since it is just a straight rip to the hard drive, without worrying about conversion to WMA Pro or whatever.

So, a remotely controlled Media Center PC hosts DTS files, outputs digitally into a replicator that feeds six remotely controlled 5.1 receivers, which in turn route to two 5.1 zones and four 4.0 zones in the house (two zones supporting A/V media and four zones supporting audio only).

The whole system is controlled via a "super remote", which basically works with multiple RF receivers and repeaters distributed throughout the house. You can literally control any part of the system anywhere in the house (although it helps if you're standing in front of one of the TV monitors). It also controls all lighting, etc.

I've been using Windows Media Player 11 to set up all my DTS albums with graphics and all that. It's really, really cool (well, at least I think it is). The house still has a long ways to go, but in the meantime I can keep myself busy with ripping DTS CDs and filling up 2TB of storage. I figure I have enough room for about 3500 albums. I think I have bit of overhead...

Anyway, I just thought some of you guys might think this is cool. When the house is done, there just may be a "Quad House Party" in Seattle, so stay tuned...

Nice! I assume then that you'll be able to route 5.1 to the 4.0 systems without losing the center channel information? Or will all 5.1 be in the two rooms set up for it and the 4.0 solely for quad/DTS music? Also, I can understand running digital to remote receivers as it saves wire and the loss associated with long lines, but are there other reasons you didn't just use one central amplification center? Finally, what in-ceiling speakers did you choose? Sorry for all the questions, I'll probably never get to build/design such a system - but it's fun to think about! I hope your wife also got to include some toys in the house design.

Nice! I assume then that you'll be able to route 5.1 to the 4.0 systems without losing the center channel information? Or will all 5.1 be in the two rooms set up for it and the 4.0 solely for quad/DTS music? Also, I can understand running digital to remote receivers as it saves wire and the loss associated with long lines, but are there other reasons you didn't just use one central amplification center? Finally, what in-ceiling speakers did you choose? Sorry for all the questions, I'll probably never get to build/design such a system - but it's fun to think about! I hope your wife also got to include some toys in the house design.
The receivers routing to the 4.0 zones will be programmed to use a phantom center channel and no subwoofer, so there will be no loss of information when playing 5.1 content.

I initially wanted central amplification instead of using multiple receivers, but it's actually CHEAPER to buy multiple receivers. Plus you gain all kinds of flexibility (listen to FM radio in one zone, DTS music in another, watch a DVD in another, etc.) In other words, you gain all the control and functionality of the receiver in each zone. The media center PC simply acts as a common digital input for each receiver. Another reason for going with receivers for amplification instead of centralized amplification is that all centralized amplifiers designed for distributed music are stereo! I'd have to get two units; one for the front channels and one for the rears, which isn't such a bad thing until you think about remote volume control. I'd have to have separate controls for the fronts and backs.

For in-ceiling speakers, I will be using Sonance Symphony 622TRs.

My wife has the whole house to play with and she's going nutso with all the design elements. I only asked for three things: distributed audio, home automation and a dedicated media room.

The more I think about it the better it seems to have a receiver in each room. You also have the ability to use higher end gear in the areas where you'll have DVD-A and SACD - if you so choose. If the receivers have bass management you can also put subs in some rooms if you'd like. Though, I'm impressed with the frequency response from the in-ceiling speakers, pretty much what you'd expect from good book shelf speakers.
Now, what you need is a chip in your body somewhere so the house can track your movements and turn on the music from room to room as you move around.

In the "music only" zones, the receivers will not actually be in the rooms themselves, but will be tucked away in a closet on a server rack. The two A/V zones will have local equipment placement for the reasons you describe (better equipment, peripheral hookup, etc.)

Not that it makes any difference, but I will be up that way in the beginning of August.
What is the current ETA for finishing your home?
We are currently on track for completion by June. It's hard to say how soon after that we'll be ready for a par-tay but August is certainly feasible!

This would be real cool I'm just over in Spokane how many are you thinkng of getting into this quad house. Maybe we can drag Dan from Spo kan over also.

Sounds like a ton of fun....I'll have to get you some of my tracks in DTS format (unless you've already converted them) ;-) to terrorize your guests in your new home.

Okay, work on the house is progressing slowly but surely. We're just now finishing up drywall. Here are a few pictures to show the various in-ceiling speaker locations. I apologize for the quality since I took them with my cell phone camera.

The larger holes are for speakers and the smaller holes are for recessed lights.

- Kitchen (quadraphonic audio zone)
- Dining room (quadraphonic audio zone)
- Family room (5.1 A/V zone)
- Living room (quadraphonic audio zone)
- Recreation room (5.1 A/V zone)

Not shown is the master bedroom (quadraphonic audio zone) and the crown jewel, a dedicated media room, which will be a "high end" 5.1 A/V zone (i.e. no ceiling speakers but a full and proper A/V system with floorstanding loudspeakers). So, that's seven multi-channel zones that can each function independently or as part of a distributed multi-channel sound system supported by a media server offering up DTS audio files.

Anyway, we were originally hoping to move in this summer, but there is no way that is going to happen. It's looking more like November or December. I'm really getting anxious but I know it will be worth the wait. I'm just bummed that there will be no quad house party this summer. :( Looks like it will have to be next year!

Very nice! You are going to have quite a backlog of surround listening to do when you get settled in. These things always take longer than expected, but in the long run it's best not to rush.

I was wondering how things were going. Thanks for the update!

Okay, work on the house is progressing slowly but surely. We're just now finishing up drywall. Here are a few pictures to show the various in-ceiling speaker locations. I apologize for the quality since I took them with my cell phone camera.

The larger holes are for speakers and the smaller holes are for recessed lights.

- Kitchen (quadraphonic audio zone)
- Dining room (quadraphonic audio zone)
- Family room (5.1 A/V zone)
- Living room (quadraphonic audio zone)
- Recreation room (5.1 A/V zone)

Not shown is the master bedroom (quadraphonic audio zone) and the crown jewel, a dedicated media room, which will be a "high end" 5.1 A/V zone (i.e. no ceiling speakers but a full and proper A/V system with floorstanding loudspeakers). So, that's seven multi-channel zones that can each function independently or as part of a distributed multi-channel sound system supported by a media server offering up DTS audio files.

Anyway, we were originally hoping to move in this summer, but there is no way that is going to happen. It's looking more like November or December. I'm really getting anxious but I know it will be worth the wait. I'm just bummed that there will be no quad house party this summer. :( Looks like it will have to be next year!

Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard of anybody doing this. I have three complete 5.1 systems but they dominate each room they are in and are considered awful as a result by the feminine observers. Your idea can actually have results and be accepted by everybody in your family, and that is really cool.

Chris

I have done the same thing, of sorts. The Sonos System is able to transmit bit perfect pcm signals, in the .wav or .aiff format. I tested it and and a DTS decoder attached to the remote Sonos receiver decodes it properly. You can even further squeeze the DTS as Apple Lossless and seems to work fine. The only problem is the Sonos filing system puts all .wavs in a "folder" as a .wav does not carry album, etc. info.

Back