10CC King Biscuit 1975 CD quad encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could very well be - when King Biscuit was done in quad, radio stations, even if they were stereo only, received only the SQ encoded LP. There were no seperate stereo versions made available, so unless the 8 or 16-track masters were kept, the 2 channel SQ master would be the only one available. I hope someone buys that recording and tries it on a Fosgate Tate and looks at it on a scope to see if it has the 90 degree phase shifted rears in stereo.

Usually the retail cds are remixed from the master tapes. I have several discs from this series and they are all remixed fresh and not the original mixes.

I agree with Bob, it seems all the Quad masters were supposed to have been destroyed in a fire, hence the need to remix them all for the CD releases. Real shame

OD

This came in my copy of CBS SQ Quadraphonic Gala.
KingBiscuitFlowerHourSQAD.jpg

Went to my local (huge) used record store yesterday. 30 years ago they had at least 20 or 30 of these on original vinyl, all long gone of course.

I read that this was from when the shows were broadcast in SQ.
There's a CD issue here: http://www.amazon.com/King-Biscuit-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1301077558&sr=8-1

I wonder if anyone's run it through a decoder to see if the SQ is still intact?
I taped it on cassette, when it was originally broadcast, and it decoded fine. The CD does not, all the quad has been stripped away from it. The 5.1 on the DVD-A is totally bogus. Wish someone would decode these broadcasts & put 'em on the 'Noid.

All of the KBFH concerts released on CD are remixed from the original multitracks, and are 100% stereo. Unfortunatley, we are stuck with digging for good quality recording from when they were originally broadcast :-(

OD

...Wish someone would decode these broadcasts & put 'em on the 'Noid.

That would be wonderful if someone would do that - and, even if they are on cassette, which had terrible phase coherency, it could be corrected digitally before SQ decoding; even reducing stereo separation to mono above 5kHz or so would stop the sibilants of vocals from bleeding to the back and keep them up front and center - it wouldn't affect overall directionality to any great degree since we're not very good at localizing sounds above that. Aphex's ESP-7000 MP Matrix surround decoder (and the clone they made for Proton) had a control that did just that called "Dialog Scatter Reduction" - it worked really well.

Thanks to 'Noid (as you call it) I've managed to put together an absolutely first rate DVD-A quad collection - and of stuff I never thought I'd ever hear discretely, like "Company" - and the fidelity is breathtaking. And on other titles that I already own as 'legit' releases, like Santana's Abraxas, the open reel quad DVD-A is head and shoulders above Brad Miller's HDS DTS CD release. I don't know why the reel version sounds so much better - the DTS CD release sounds "scrubbed", like too agressive of noise removal was used, although I don't know if that's the problem - Brad Miller was VERY good about stuff like that and knew just how much noise to remove and how much to leave in. The treble on the DTS CD is like fingernails on the chalkboard for me. When I was 13 I underwent chemotherapy with a platinum-based drug, and ever since I've been terribly sensitive to high frequencies - they physically "hurt" - for about 3 years after the chemo ended I couldn't watch TV without earplugs in because the 15kHz hum from the TV's fly-back just caused too much pain. The Abraxas DTS CD reminds me of that experience. But it's totally absent on the DVD-A version.

I taped it on cassette, when it was originally broadcast, and it decoded fine. The CD does not, all the quad has been stripped away from it. The 5.1 on the DVD-A is totally bogus. Wish someone would decode these broadcasts & put 'em on the 'Noid.
I have a few in the pipeline... stay tuned

Back