1st Sony Music DSD Download on Super Hi Rez Web Site

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Acoustic Sounds and their Super HiRez web site launches its first Stereo DSD Download from Sony Music today. It's the Masterworks Classics album "Appalachian Journey" with Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor with guest soloists James Taylor & Alison Krauss.

The original Stereo SACD is out of print, copies of the SACD disc are listed for around $75 these days on the web, when available.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...Mark_OConnor-Appalachian_Journey-DSD_Download

Appalachian Journey.jpg

I saw Thriller on there at least a week ago, so this isn't the first Sony.

update: woops, this was a FLAC not DSD

I saw Thriller on there at least a week ago, so this isn't the first Sony.

update: woops, this was a FLAC not DSD

Right. There are several Sony PCM/FLAC Downloads available.

The Appalachian Journey album with Yo Yo Ma, James Taylor & Alison Krauss is a direct to DSD Stereo recording - so it is the first Sony Music DSD Download.
Now that Sony & Super HiRez have their system set up, we will undoubtedly see more.

In this case, offering some relief from those overpriced SACDs on Amazon and eBay for music fans!

Today Super HiRez added 4 new DSD Stereo Downloads created from the original Sony Super Audio CD cutting masters by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colorado:
  • Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (Sony Music XSON26999D64)
  • Wynton Marsalis - Hot House Flowers (Sony Music XSON39530D64)
  • Santana - Abraxas (Sony Music XSON65490D64)
  • Luther Vandross - Never Too Much (Sony Music XSON37451D64)

Good news for SACD and DSD fans looking to add these albums to their catalog. eBay shows the corresponding SACDs for sale at:
  • Abraxas - up to $79.99
  • Headhunters - up to $79.99
  • Hot House Flowers - $34.98
  • Never Too Much - up to $40.21

Good news for SACD and DSD fans looking to add these albums to their catalog. eBay shows the corresponding SACDs for sale at:
  • Abraxas - up to $79.99
  • Headhunters - up to $79.99
  • Hot House Flowers - $34.98
  • Never Too Much - up to $40.21

I was excited until I realized these are stereo only. I think the multichannel feature is part of the premium markup on the discs. Sony almost got it right.

I was excited until I realized these are stereo only. I think the multichannel feature is part of the premium markup on the discs. Sony almost got it right.

The Stereo DSD Downloads are coming out first. Multichannel DSD Downloads will follow later on from what I have been told.

Welcome news, what'd be even more welcome is if Super HiRez could get Mick Guzauski's as yet unreleased 5.1 mix of Thriller released at some point, at last.

Welcome news, what'd be even more welcome is if Super HiRez could get Mick Guzauski's as yet unreleased 5.1 mix of Thriller released at some point, at last.

Or the one that Bruce Swedien did of Thriller in 5.1 Surround..... :)

In the meantime, there are still those mysterious unreleased Sony DSD Masters mentioned awhile back in the Super HiRez announcement. No idea if we're talking Stereo and/or Surround masters.
But they could be quite interesting....

Hmm, Super HiRez is cranking out the DSD Downloads today. After Thriller, they've now added 3 more Stereo DSD Downloads:
  • Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
  • Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
  • James Taylor - JT

Some price comparisons from Amazon.Com on the corresponding SACD editions:
  • Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills - $189.95 to $559.88
  • Miles Davis - In A Silent Way - $22.23 to $3,769.00
  • James Taylor - JT - $58.96

Or the one that Bruce Swedien did of Thriller in 5.1 Surround..... :)

In the meantime, there are still those mysterious unreleased Sony DSD Masters mentioned awhile back in the Super HiRez announcement. No idea if we're talking Stereo and/or Surround masters.
But they could be quite interesting....

There are TWO unreleased 5.1 mixes of Thriller? Good grief..! :mad:@:

Meantime I'm very grateful to you for all the updates here, thank you.

Hmm, Super HiRez is cranking out the DSD Downloads today. After Thriller, they've now added 3 more Stereo DSD Downloads:
  • Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
  • Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
  • James Taylor - JT

Some price comparisons from Amazon.Com on the corresponding SACD editions:
  • Big Brother & the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills - $189.95 to $559.88
  • Miles Davis - In A Silent Way - $22.23 to $3,769.00
  • James Taylor - JT - $58.96

Crikey! :yikes they really are cranking out these downloads!

Even more confused about Thriller's 5.1 status now..

http://mixonline.com/recording/mixing/new-york-metro-november/

..was it ever even completed?

The initial Surround remix work was done by Mick Guzauski. Reportedly Michael Jackson rejected the results. Engineer Bruce Swedien - who also engineered Thriller - was then hired and he worked on Surround remixes of Thriller. It's not clear whether either engineer finished the project - remixing all of the tracks. But there are at least some of the songs in 5.1 form somewhere out there.

Sometimes that is how these projects end up. The work starts but is not finished - or finished but never released.

Does anyone know what type of files these DSD files are downloaded as? FLAC, DFF? I'm trying to figure out if these could be burned to play on something other than a computer/DSD decoder.

Does anyone know what type of files these DSD files are downloaded as? FLAC, DFF? I'm trying to figure out if these could be burned to play on something other than a computer/DSD decoder.

The Sony DSD Downloads are in *.DSF format. Some of the other DSD Download sites offer the older *.DFF files. The trend is clearly towards *.DSF since they offer more metadata.

Super HiRez also offers some titles in FLAC and ALAC formats. Check the FLAC and ALAC sections for the list.

anyone know anything about 2 brits, who broke-in Sony's server and have borrowed whole
lot of MJ's recordings, including sessions, a year or two back?

if you have player, which natively or have been "healed" by patch to play homebrew SACD-R, you can use Philips SuperAuthor to
make one from downloaded DSD or other appropriate formats.
other way you can always convert DSD and such into WAV and make Audio only DVD in case with HiRez stereo only stream
or DVD-A if there are HiRez surround.

Three more Stereo DSD Downloads arrived today on Super HiRez, continuing to bring the out of print Stereo SACDs to the download world.
The Stereo DSD Download files were created by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center from the original Sony Super Audio CD cutting masters.
  • Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
  • Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
  • Johnny Winter - The Best Of

Price comparisons from Amazon.Com on the corresponding SACD editions:
  • Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow - $599.99
  • Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin - $77.77 to $315.78
  • Johnny Winter - The Best Of - $79.77 to $246.98

Back