2016 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked and Chicago is in the lead now. I doubt she'll take the top place again. Last year's poll was kind of all over the place at first.

N.W.A...ugh...it's supposed to be the ROCK and Roll Hall Of Fame..

I can't let this stupid institution wind me up like it has done before! For me, it has to be Yes and Deep Purple, both of which should have been in many years ago. The sad thing is, if Yes get in this year it will only be as a sympathy thing for Chris Squire dying.

As time goes on, it's going to get harder and harder to find worthy inductees...although the HOF has already inducted what I would consider to be dubious choices.

Odds are, though, that Deep Purple and Chicago might make the cut, maybe even Yes. It's depressing, however, that Johnny Rivers and the Moody Blues aren't even nominated--yet again. It takes a special type of stupidity--or prejudice--to leave out a pair of acts that obvious--and good. I'm sure all of us here have at least one act that isn't in that you know really should be.

On the other side of the console, in the non-performer category, it amazes me that guys like Bob Crewe, Bob Johnston, and Shel Talmy (to name a few) aren't in, each deserving, IMO.

As for this year's nominees not really up to HOF calibre? Chic was a good funk group but really, in many ways they were a black answer to ABBA (who are in) but with a limited catalog (although if you nominated Nile Rodgers for induction, I'd have no argument with that). The Cars? Too lightweight, although they had their moments. Same with Steve Miller, not a bad guy but very derivative and erratic at times. Cheap Trick is a borderline choice, though they were pretty hot for several years and their Budokan album one of the better live ones of the '70s.

Chaka Khan simply doesn't have the resume, or the unique voice...Janet was a huge hitmaker, but also not a particularly exceptional singer, and like many solo singers, her success really hinged as much on writers and producers as for any talent she possesses. But she wouldn't be an awful choice, either. Similarly, while I don't think Los Lobos was very original, they sure could rock hard and came up with some interesting stuff. Nine Inch Nails? Unsure, though critics and writers tend to like Mr. Reznor. Can't really speak to N.W.A. or the Smiths, but the Spinners are a tough choice. They were very good when the writing and production were hot, like their time at Motown, and at Atlantic with Thom Bell. But how do you choose which Spinners? Their revolving door of members was formidable, and I can't see the logic of inducting the Atlantic-era Spinners even with the talent that incarnation had. That would leave out some of the guys who were at Motown, including singer G.C. Cameron, whose voice is heard on "It's a Shame," the group's first really big hit that got them notice outside the soul charts. Philippe Wynne was the lead singer of the Atlantic-era Spinners, and a fine one he was, but Bell was the man responsible for most everything about their success. And because this is so, how is Thom Bell not in? Or the Stylistics, his other big group? Inexplicable.

If I were betting, I'd say the most likely inductees would be Chicago, DP, Chic, Janet, and NIN. But Cheap Trick would not be an unwelcome choice.

ED :)

I voted for Yes, Deep Purple, Nine Inch Nails, Chicago and Steve Miller. Yes are all-time favorites, and DP is pretty obvious. Chicago and Steve Miller I'm not really big fans of, but I recognize completely that their songs are as ingrained in people's memories as any other huge classic rock act. I'm a fan of Nine Inch Nails, and more recently Reznor's foray into film scoring. His influence is pretty strong over not just rock but several genres of music, so that's certainly to be recognized too.

I get being upset that some bands like Yes and Deep Purple not getting in. However I don't agree that rap and hip-hop shouldn't be allowed in. Elvis and his peers, the architects of "Rock & Roll" upset the apple cart in the 50's, angering (mostly) white adults. It's clear that rap and hip-hop succeeded to that degree on a much deeper level, and to this day as well. Rock music couldn't quite survive that because the kids that listened to that music became old themselves, often finding themselves in the same position of their parents against hip-hop and even the newer forms of rock music, punk and heavy metal. I'm saying all that because while musically it isn't rock & roll, it is on another level that can't be easily as quantified.

I went with The Cars, Chicago, Deep Purple, The Smiths, and Yes.
I also agree with the sentiments above that Yes getting in now is more of an after-thought seeing as how Chris Squire won't be there, but alas, better late than never I suppose.

My votes are: The Cars, Chicago, Deep Purple, Steve Miller and Yes. I like many of the other acts too, buy we only get five votes. It's beyond my imagination that Chicago, Deep Purple and Yes weren't in already. And don't get me started on The Moody Blues, among others.

My votes are: The Cars, Chicago, Deep Purple, Steve Miller and Yes. I like many of the other acts too, buy we only get five votes. It's beyond my imagination that Chicago, Deep Purple and Yes weren't in already. And don't get me started on The Moody Blues, among others.

Yeah, seriously. The Moody Blues deserve to be in the HoF more than any of the artists that are part of this year's voting.
(And that's no slight on them, it's just that the Moody Blues' run of those 7 classic albums from 1967-1972 is tough to beat. Amazing, through and through.)

The fact that my favorite band Deep Purple isn't in, has always been a sore spot with me. Voted numerous times the #1 riff in rock and several times the #1 in all of music! The song hardcore fans love to hate, friggin Smoke on the Water!!!! Anyone who picked up a guitar after '73, with the slightest intention of JAMMING, played that riff. I'll bet they play the hell out of it at the Hall though. Wouldn't that be ironic...:confused:
I too thought Chicago was in. Though there are those of us still trying to recover from the 80's Foster era. Rhino CTA is the perfect antidote for it though.:music
Yes is a no brainer too!:phones
The Cars were HUGE when I was a kid. Always thought they would sound awesome in surround!:banana:
And finally the J.B.'s! C'mon man, It's Bootsy!:smokin

What about Boston? Kansas? Grand Funk? THE MOODY BLUES!!:yikes

I think Boston will get in eventually (how can Heart be in, and not Boston?), as should Rivers, the Shangri-Las (and their producer, Shadow Morton), Lesley Gore, the Moodies, and (if there's justice) Warren Zevon, Joan Jett, Kate Bush, Jack Scott (the sad thing is that unless you go way back, you might not even remember who he was).

Who shouldn't? Remembering it IS the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame, when I read that someone like Joan Baez should be inducted, my eyes start to roll. Regardless of her artistic or cultural influences, IMO she just doesn't belong (neither do Bobby Darin or Brenda Lee, two inductions that remain mysterious--and unnecessary). Similarly, Dolly Parton doesn't belong, nor pop divas like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey (on the other hand, someday a real singer--let's call her Adele--should be a no-brainer).

The galling thing is the popularity contest nature of many inductions. For example, Kiss was a passable meat-and-potatoes rock band once you got past the makeup, costumes, or awful sap like "Beth." But how can anyone argue they belong and the Troggs don't? Or that AC/DC is a superior rock band to the Moodies? The latter have enough hard rocking tracks to more than match the former, but all people seem to want to remember are the lighter, or more exotic ones.

I think Boston will get in eventually (how can Heart be in, and not Boston?), as should Rivers, the Shangri-Las (and their producer, Shadow Morton), Lesley Gore, the Moodies, and (if there's justice) Warren Zevon, Joan Jett, Kate Bush, Jack Scott (the sad thing is that unless you go way back, you might not even remember who he was).

Who shouldn't? Remembering it IS the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame, when I read that someone like Joan Baez should be inducted, my eyes start to roll. Regardless of her artistic or cultural influences, IMO she just doesn't belong (neither do Bobby Darin or Brenda Lee, two inductions that remain mysterious--and unnecessary). Similarly, Dolly Parton doesn't belong, nor pop divas like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey (on the other hand, someday a real singer--let's call her Adele--should be a no-brainer).

The galling thing is the popularity contest nature of many inductions. For example, Kiss was a passable meat-and-potatoes rock band once you got past the makeup, costumes, or awful sap like "Beth." But how can anyone argue they belong and the Troggs don't? Or that AC/DC is a superior rock band to the Moodies? The latter have enough hard rocking tracks to more than match the former, but all people seem to want to remember are the lighter, or more exotic ones.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts are already in...

Which I should have remembered, since we saw them at the NC State Fair last year. Ah well, the memory ain't what it used to be.

Still, no matter who's chosen for the next induction, some talented and worthy acts remain ignored. Shame there isn't someone at the HOF with the stones to explain these omissions.

i did for
Chicago
Deep Purple
Yes
Steve Miller
NIN

p.s. that's weird, more than 50% of those in the Hell of Fame have nothing to do with rock or rock and roll genres at all. how they got there?

NWA's induction only makes sense in that the RnR HoF has inducted in rap and hip-hop groups, but I personally am of the belief that none of those groups deserve to be in as they can never really be classified as "Rock and Roll".

Yes should be in there next year instead of NWA, but I can think of plenty of other groups that are equally (and maybe even more) deserving of a Rock Hall spot that haven't even received half of the attention for exclusion that Yes has, and that's just how it goes.
I will say however that despite NWA, this is one of the best induction classes for sure! All four of the other artists are very deserving of an induction! :)

Wow! Cheap Trick was voted in....I confess, I voted for them (fan vote), but honestly thought they'd get blown out. I didn't vote based on what I thought others liked, I voted on what I liked and yeah, CT is one of my favorites. I'm shocked....I mean...they are not like an obvious choice....but I love it. :)

Back