2019+ Acura RDX: ELS 3D Studio 5.1 Surround Audio System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jon! Thanks for all the helpful info from the past few years. I am in the market for a new Acura with the ELS Studio 3D system. I have 1.5 TB worth of 5.1 flac files on a 2 TB flash drive that I can take with me to test out at the dealership, but my wife's 2019 Acura RDX with that system recognizes that my flash drive is plugged in, but will not open it. Not sure if that is because it is formatted as exFAT (since I work between my MacBook and Windows laptop I needed to use a formatting that both can read and write to) or do I need to format another flash drive as FAT32? Reformatting to what is needed will help greatly help and save me some embarrasment before I go car shopping :ROFLMAO: .

I may consider some other higher end car manufacturers, like Lexus, Mercedes, etc., as I'm more interested in a car that sounds really great with my 5.1 files, (but not sure what their limitations would be with formatting.) It would be even better if I could find a system in a luxury hybrid or better yet fully electric car that would play back Atmos files as well as 5.1 flac files. Any expertise here would be greatly appreciated!

2019 RDX needs flac files with '0' compression, not '5', which is the default. If it's not '0', the car just won't see them as 5.1 files. It's a pain to go and convert them all, but if you want to test it, just take a thumb drive, run an album through Foobar's convert feature and convert the flacs to 24-48 '0' compression. Those will work.

ExFAT is fine as I recall. It's the 24-48, '0' compression deal that is stopping you

2019 RDX needs flac files with '0' compression, not '5', which is the default. If it's not '0', the car just won't see them as 5.1 files. It's a pain to go and convert them all, but if you want to test it, just take a thumb drive, run an album through Foobar's convert feature and convert the flacs to 24-48 '0' compression. Those will work.

ExFAT is fine as I recall. It's the 24-48, '0' compression deal that is stopping you
Thanks! I'll try that in her car. But I am going to buy a 2024 something, so didn't you also say that above 2022 all flac and wav files will work regardless of compression?

That's right. It was in this thread

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ras-do-not-need-zero-compression-flacs.32139/

But if you check post #25, the files did not work in their Acura, so who knows what the deal really is? Thry worked for me for some reason, and also for LennonCobain, but not for him. What's the difference in the hardware?

It's best to take all different variations with you and be prepared to test it yourself. There may be different firmware in these cars.

Hi Jon! Thanks for all the helpful info from the past few years. I am in the market for a new Acura with the ELS Studio 3D system. I have 1.5 TB worth of 5.1 flac files on a 2 TB flash drive that I can take with me to test out at the dealership, but my wife's 2019 Acura RDX with that system recognizes that my flash drive is plugged in, but will not open it. Not sure if that is because it is formatted as exFAT (since I work between my MacBook and Windows laptop I needed to use a formatting that both can read and write to) or do I need to format another flash drive as FAT32? Reformatting to what is needed will help greatly help and save me some embarrasment before I go car shopping :ROFLMAO: .

I may consider some other higher end car manufacturers, like Lexus, Mercedes, etc., as I'm more interested in a car that sounds really great with my 5.1 files, (but not sure what their limitations would be with formatting.) It would be even better if I could find a system in a luxury hybrid or better yet fully electric car that would play back Atmos files as well as 5.1 flac files. Any expertise here would be greatly appreciated!
I don't think Acuras can read any formats other than FAT32. I use a 128gig usb stick for testing, not 100% sure what the max size limit is. I see people are using 1TB sticks. Also, I can tell you that no Lexus models support 5.1 discrete audio.
I drove a 2020 LS500 today with the ML system, and although it would read and play 5.1 FLAC files, it played them in stereo and it failed the 5.1 test. I've never had a Lexus successfully pass the 5.1 test, and that goes back to a 2009 LS460.
I also tested a 2022 Acura RDX today and of course it passed the 5.1 test and sounded way better than the ML system in the LS500.
Finally I tested the Bowers and Harmon systems in newer Volvo's and neither of them support 5.1 discrete audio. Same as Lexus, they'll read 5.1 FLAC files but downgrade them to stereo and of course, to me neither sounded as good as the RDX.
There are very few systems out there that support discrete 5.1 audio, and this YT channel is one of the few that is now testing for that feature. https://www.youtube.com/@DailyMotorSound
I'm curious what the new Acura ZDX will support as far as audio. Atmos support would be really cool.

I don't think Acuras can read any formats other than FAT32. I use a 128gig usb stick for testing, not 100% sure what the max size limit is. I see people are using 1TB sticks. Also, I can tell you that no Lexus models support 5.1 discrete audio.
I drove a 2020 LS500 today with the ML system, and although it would read and play 5.1 FLAC files, it played them in stereo and it failed the 5.1 test. I've never had a Lexus successfully pass the 5.1 test, and that goes back to a 2009 LS460.
I also tested a 2022 Acura RDX today and of course it passed the 5.1 test and sounded way better than the ML system in the LS500.
Finally I tested the Bowers and Harmon systems in newer Volvo's and neither of them support 5.1 discrete audio. Same as Lexus, they'll read 5.1 FLAC files but downgrade them to stereo and of course, to me neither sounded as good as the RDX.
There are very few systems out there that support discrete 5.1 audio, and this YT channel is one of the few that is now testing for that feature. https://www.youtube.com/@DailyMotorSound
I'm curious what the new Acura ZDX will support as far as audio. Atmos support would be really cool.
So a little info for those interested. I tested different formats for my wife's 2019 RDX, and it will not access a flash drive formatted in FAT32 nor NTSF. It will read multiple size drives, the biggest I put in it was a 32 GB SanDisk Ultra 3.0. It would see 5.1 flac files, but even ones converted to zero compression it would not play back. It would also not play back ALAC files, said they were error files. It would play back mp3 stereo files. So, that at least tells some things. On to Acura dealership with my 32 GB flash formatted in exFAT

This is something I posted back in September 2021:

“One more thing about the 2022 MDX (and possibly 2022 RDX and others). The infotainment system is more particular about the format of the flash drive (or SSD). The USB flash drive I used in my 2019 RDX would not work. All files were recognized by the system, but all had a “cannot play this format” error message.

The flash drive was originally formatted in exFAT. Reformatting to FAT32 solved the issue.”

That's funny! I formatted a thumb drive in ex-FAT and one in Fat 32 with 5.1 flac files, which DO have level 5 compression as default. I tried to play them in the my wife's 2019 RDX and the system recognizes them both, but says it can't play the files regardless of the drive format. I took them both to the Acura dealer today, and they both played flawlessly, including the 5.1 test files for discrete. The only thing I noticed is that when you access the files, it doesn't recognize different folders? IS that the way it always is, or can you access the files though the folders. I have many 5.1 albums, and it would suck to have to go through them song by song until I get to the album I wanted to play. My wife wants me to get an electric or plug-in hybrid, which Acura doesn't have, but they will have the all-electric ZDX in a few months. My only concern is that the ZDX is supposed to have a B&O stereo system, so I might be hosed.

Other cars I tested today:

-No 2024 Lexus model will play flac 5.1 files, even their best system, regardless of format on drive
-No Audi likewise including the all-electric
-Mercedes 2023 and 2024 models I tried do recognize both formats and play both files very nicely, but you need to make sure the audio setting are set to "true" and not 3D. Otherwise they don't play back discrete. You hear a little of everything everywhere. The advantage to this system is it looks like it will play back 7.1 files as well, with the side channels in the rear seat doors. They are silent with 5.1. The other nice thing is that you can move the sound field to front or rear, where it will focus the sound so if you are the driver, the levels of the speakers adjust to give you a true 5.1 sound, or leave it in the middle if you have rear passengers. The upside here is that THEIR all-electric cars and SUV's, the E series all play 5.1 flac files! The downside is that they start about $20,000 in the high $70's more than the 2024 MDX I listened to. The ZDX if it does still play them, is supposed to start at $60,000. I guess I'm going to wait to see a ZDX before I do anything!

That's funny! I formatted a thumb drive in ex-FAT and one in Fat 32 with 5.1 flac files, which DO have level 5 compression as default. I tried to play them in the my wife's 2019 RDX and the system recognizes them both, but says it can't play the files regardless of the drive format. I took them both to the Acura dealer today, and they both played flawlessly, including the 5.1 test files for discrete. The only thing I noticed is that when you access the files, it doesn't recognize different folders? IS that the way it always is, or can you access the files though the folders. I have many 5.1 albums, and it would suck to have to go through them song by song until I get to the album I wanted to play. My wife wants me to get an electric or plug-in hybrid, which Acura doesn't have, but they will have the all-electric ZDX in a few months. My only concern is that the ZDX is supposed to have a B&O stereo system, so I might be hosed.

-No 2024 Lexus model will play flac 5.1 files, even their best system, regardless of format on drive
-Mercedes 2023 and 2024 models I tried do recognize both formats and play both files very nicely, but you need to make sure the audio setting are set to "true" and not 3D. Otherwise they don't play back discrete. You hear a little of everything everywhere. The advantage to this system is it looks like it will play back 7.1 files as well, with the side channels in the rear seat doors. They are silent with 5.1. The other nice thing is that you can move the sound field to front or rear, where it will focus the sound so if you are the driver, the levels of the speakers adjust to give you a true 5.1 sound, or leave it in the middle if you have rear passengers. The upside here is that THEIR all-electric cars and SUV's, the E series all play 5.1 flac files! The downside is that they start about $20,000 in the high $70's more than the 2024 MDX I listened to. The ZDX if it does still play them, is supposed to start at $60,000. I guess I'm going to wait to see a ZDX before I do anything!
FYI, the 2019 RDX must have Level 0 compression FLAC files to be recognized properly for playback. At least that’s what I needed to do when I had that vehicle.

Last edited:

That's interesting, I tested some Lexus models and they could read and play the 5.1 FLAC files, but they were definitely not playing them in 5.1. It was obvious they were converting them to stereo no matter how I modified the settings. Same goes for the Volvo B&W system.
I know that Charlie at DM Sound on YT has gotten Audi B&O systems to play 5.0 ok, but they seem to flunk the subwoofer test. It's also interesting to hear about Mercedes, I haven't tested any of those yet. Those German cars are scary so I tend to stay away from them.
I'm also curious about the ZDX and the B&O system. Wouldn't it be cool if it also supported Atmos. Acura was at the forefront of 5.1 audio in cars, hopefully they'll do it again.

So, my old Mac, with VM fusion, appears to be dead. I have used that with DVD-Audio Extractor to make WAV files for the RDX. If I go and buy a PC, is all I need to put 5.1 files, DVD-Audio Extractor and a DVD/Blu Ray drive??? (I always hear of other additional software on the forum). I am guessing a used laptop with built in blu ray might do it...also, is there a reason for FLAC over WAV???

You will need Foobar (free) to convert the files to 24/48 Zero Compression flacs

A flac file allows tagging with song name/album/graphics/etc, where as the car will not read that stuff from a wav file.

From BluRays you might need MakeMKV and Garry's (HomerJAU's) MultiMedia Helper (free) as well

I tried a 7.1 wav file. It played, but it did the same thing a 24/96 file did, even though it was 24/48. It merged all of the lefts with the lefts and the rights with the rights. Center was fine. Foobar would not convert it to .flac, but I doubt it would have played anyway. Not a big deal. I have no 7.1 stuff, and the only 6.1 I know of is the first track on the "End of Innocence" DTS CD from Don Henley.
So I bought a new 2024 Acura RDX, which does recognize and play thumb drives that are FAT32 as well as the most common fomatting now, ex-FAT. It does play 5.1 flac files flawlessly and truly no longer cares about sample rate or bit depth. I tried multiple thumb drives up to 2 TB, and it read them all so far. It will NOT play ATMOS files (not surprisingly.)

The sound quality is awesome, though I wish the 16 speaker system had a little more power for the sub. You can achieve this with the similar system in the MDX, but for me, I couldn't fit it in the garage with my wife's 2017 RDX, so I'm ok! Thanks for all the help and advice Jon!

One question that I'm afraid I may know the answer to. If I search and play an album on my drive, it seems that when I turn off the car, and then come back and start the car again, it forgets where I was in the album and starts playing back the first song of the first album (since I opened it as album) alphabetically, which for me is always Come Together by the Beatles from Abbey Road (Anniversary Edition). Is there anyway around that so it will restart my album where I left off?

You will need Foobar (free) to convert the files to 24/48 Zero Compression flacs

A flac file allows tagging with song name/album/graphics/etc, where as the car will not read that stuff from a wav file.

From BluRays you might need MakeMKV and Garry's (HomerJAU's) MultiMedia Helper (free) as well
Audacity can also convert them to 24/28 zero compression.

So I bought a new 2024 Acura RDX, which does recognize and play thumb drives that are FAT32 as well as the most common fomatting now, ex-FAT. It does play 5.1 flac files flawlessly and truly no longer cares about sample rate or bit depth. I tried multiple thumb drives up to 2 TB, and it read them all so far. It will NOT play ATMOS files (not surprisingly.)

The sound quality is awesome, though I wish the 16 speaker system had a little more power for the sub. You can achieve this with the similar system in the MDX, but for me, I couldn't fit it in the garage with my wife's 2017 RDX, so I'm ok! Thanks for all the help and advice Jon!

One question that I'm afraid I may know the answer to. If I search and play an album on my drive, it seems that when I turn off the car, and then come back and start the car again, it forgets where I was in the album and starts playing back the first song of the first album (since I opened it as album) alphabetically, which for me is always Come Together by the Beatles from Abbey Road (Anniversary Edition). Is there anyway around that so it will restart my album where I left off?

It's strange like that. My 2019 did that all of the time. It would always go back to the first file on a hard drive alphabetically. I created a test track that started with "___00" something so I didn't hear the same thing every time I started the car.

My 2022 does not do it and generally remembers where you left off. Even with my large drive full of albums it starts where it was when I shut the car off. There is no logic to the damn things.

The only glitch or flaw that I notice in my 2022 MDX A-spec with the ELS Studio 3D system is that the “Recent” option only seems to recall the last played track/album unlike my 2019 RDX that actually maintained a history.

The only glitch or flaw that I notice in my 2022 MDX A-spec with the ELS Studio 3D system is that the “Recent” option only seems to recall the last played track/album unlike my 2019 RDX that actually maintained a history.
I haven't tried this yet, but am I correct in assuming the the ELS system will incorrectly read and assign tracks to the wrong speakers with a quad flac file unless I add a silent center and sub?

That's right. It was in this thread

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ras-do-not-need-zero-compression-flacs.32139/

But if you check post #25, the files did not work in their Acura, so who knows what the deal really is? Thry worked for me for some reason, and also for LennonCobain, but not for him. What's the difference in the hardware?

It's best to take all different variations with you and be prepared to test it yourself. There may be different firmware in these cars.
I've tried the setting, I believe DTS Neural Surround(?) that tries to make stereo and multichannel files sound surround. I've turned it on and off on multiple 5.1 tracks I have on my thumb drive and I don't hear any difference, which would be good for me if that's true? I really would only want my stereo tracks to have virtual surround, like my AirPods Max do, which actually is a nice feature, but isn't that a feature of Apple Car Play?

I've tried the setting, I believe DTS Neural Surround(?) that tries to make stereo and multichannel files sound surround. I've turned it on and off on multiple 5.1 tracks I have on my thumb drive and I don't hear any difference, which would be good for me if that's true? I really would only want my stereo tracks to have virtual surround, like my AirPods Max do, which actually is a nice feature, but isn't that a feature of Apple Car Play?
I believe the DTS Neural setting is not applicable for any 5.1 files. In my vehicle, I have this setting On for 2.0 tracks and I can see the indicator on the screen when stereo files are playing and the indicator disappears for 5.1 tracks.

Back