2019 Acura RDX - USB 5.1? VERIFIED!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Jaguar and Range Rover... I think someone around here once said something to the effect of "you don't get into the hobby of collecting helicopters if you can't afford it"... I guess mobile surround sound won't be a hobby I get into:(

Heading over to a friend of mine's house this weekend that has a 2017 Range Rover Longwheel Base (LWB) Supercharged with the upgraded Meridian Surround Sound System. I'm going to bring a 32GB USB stick with some of my favorite 5.1 flac files to give it a listen. Granted - this vehicle is waaaaay out of my price range ($120K+), but I'm definitely interested in hearing and seeing how the USB playback goes. Like Jon, very disappointed Acura could not find a way to support discrete 5.1 playback via USB on the new ELS "3D" system. They most definitely should not have used a "marketing" photo of a DVD-A song being played back via USB if the system doesn't support "discrete" playback; so misleading.

There are several configurations of the Meridian systems in the "Rovers"...the one HomerJAU tested was the 825 Watt 14 speaker version...your friend might have the 1700 Watt 29 speaker "signature series"..I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 2017 and 2018 Meridian systems...as far as accepting the multi channel USB...I have a friend that has an older "Rover" and it doesn't have that capability..nothing better than cruising around St. Armands Circle with some surround sound music cranked up:music

Wow, Jaguar and Range Rover... I think someone around here once said something to the effect of "you don't get into the hobby of collecting helicopters if you can't afford it"... I guess mobile surround sound won't be a hobby I get into:(

Don't be fooled by the name badges...these prestige brands do offer entry level models that aren't much more than the "non" prestige models..

There are several configurations of the Meridian systems in the "Rovers"...the one HomerJAU tested was the 825 Watt 14 speaker version...your friend might have the 1700 Watt 29 speaker "signature series"..I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 2017 and 2018 Meridian systems...as far as accepting the multi channel USB...I have a friend that has an older "Rover" and it doesn't have that capability..nothing better than cruising around St. Armands Circle with some surround sound music cranked up:music

My friend has all the "toys" I will never be able to afford (36' Concept w/ 12 Speaker sound system, house on the water with Sonos throughout). He gave me his WIFI password, so I "hijack" the music every time our family is invited over. I'm pretty sure they enjoy my taste in music since he hasn't changed the password and still invites us over. :music

StArmandsCir001.jpg

My friend has all the "toys" I will never be able to afford (36' Concept w/ 12 Speaker sound system, house on the water with Sonos throughout). He gave me his WIFI password, so I "hijack" the music every time our family is invited over. I'm pretty sure they enjoy my taste in music since he hasn't changed the password and still invites us over. :music

View attachment 32104

When I moved to Florida I had intended on living in Sarasota...so I got a temp rental in Clearwater and drove down there and looked around...it's a nice place but what I didn't like was after the winter season(summer months) the population dwindled...and the more I stayed in Clearwater...the more I liked it...although both are tourist cities...Clearwater had more year round residents....that was 22 years ago...both great places..

Don’t be intimidated and miss out. Besides the Acura TL I have a Pioneer DVDA deck (dvdv too which Acura can’t play) single DIN with motorized screen in a 1988 Civic. $250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what was the last year of Acura models that could play DTSCDs in 5.1 surround? Was it the 2017 models or the 2018 models?
My parents have a 2017 RDX that still plays DTSCDs.
On the other hand, I have a 2014 ILX that still plays DVDAs and DTSCDs. So was 2014 the last year that the Acuras could play DVD-Audio discs?
All I know is that with recent developments, I'm going to hang on to my 2014 ILX as long as I can!

:)

My 2018 TLX A-SPEC, plays DTS discs, & sounds great; (5.1, baby)
Do I miss my DVD/Audio? Damn right, I do; but the vehicle usurps the audio system
Acura, finally got the car, right! As far as music, be thankful for DTS
Enough said

Doesn’t the Genesis G80 Lexicon 17 Speaker system play DVD-Audio? I have a 2012 Acura TL, so I’m good to go for now. About ready to hit 100,000 miles so I’m looking for a replacement.

Doesn’t the Genesis G80 Lexicon 17 Speaker system play DVD-Audio? I have a 2012 Acura TL, so I’m good to go for now. About ready to hit 100,000 miles so I’m looking for a replacement.

Yikes, I’ll be buying your car in addition to Audio gear?!? Just kidding. Bought our TL with 106K in 2010 and it now has 182K. We both work from home these days and don’t put on the miles anymore.

No harm, no fowl. Moving on.

Why give up tasty birds? ;)

Maybe not exactly germaine to the discussion, but try to empathize perhaps with Scheiner.

He does all of this groundbreaking surround work with Class A classic albums, gets Grammys the whole 9 Yards and BAM!
Record company puts the down the hammer on everything even in the can & ready to press content is sh!tcanned, never to see the light of day.

How would you feel?
I don't know how old Scheiner is but if I had enough money etc., etc., etc., I'd just say F*CK IT & walk away.
Nothing but some weird miracle would change it.

Steve - Wow, nice catch. Yes, the 2018 Genesis G80 Lexicon system does support DVD-Audio. Brochure mentions how they "modify" the 5.1 to 7.1 somehow. Would be interesting to hear what happens to the separation coming out of that many speakers.

http://hyundai.lexicon.com/broucher/Hyundai_Genesis-Lexicon_Brochure.pdf

Why give up tasty birds? ;)

I don't know how old Scheiner is......

Mr. Scheiner will be 71 next month. While I certainly wish he was actively involved in creating new surround mixes for lots of artists, I certainly can't blame him if he wants to retire. At least he passed along his gift to Steven Wilson so the flame still burns! :flame

... Bought our TL with 106K in 2010 and it now has 182K. We both work from home these days and don’t put on the miles anymore.

Bought my Audio A5 new in 2009 and it has only 42,000 km (26K miles). My wife's 2010 TT has about half that.

Bought my Audio A5 new in 2009 and it has only 42,000 km (26K miles). My wife's 2010 TT has about half that.

I will try to keep forever my dvd audio player on wheels.....my beloved RDX 2014.........i have no incentives to buy a newer "premium player".......i will tune it and adjust it to keep it rollin (and rocking).........thumbs down to Acura

Yikes, I’ll be buying your car in addition to Audio gear?!? Just kidding. Bought our TL with 106K in 2010 and it now has 182K. We both work from home these days and don’t put on the miles anymore.

Yeah why stop a good thing! The shipping costs might be the deal breaker though :yikes

I love my TL and I keep it well maintained, so I'm sure I could put another 100K on it. My daughter is still driving my old Honda Accord with over 200K. What I'm worried about is being stuck with no multi-channel capable car, because the deck fails. I love listening in the car. It is such a great listening environment!

So I had an opportunity to test the 2017 Range Rover LWB with the Meridian Signature Sound System this weekend and it is was NOT able to play back any FLAC files from the USB. Likewise, the only DVD-Audio playback I could obtain was DD 5.1 and not MLP. Although there are a lot more speakers in the Range Rover, I actually prefer the sound of the ELS playback in my 2013 Acura ELS.

So I had an opportunity to test the 2017 Range Rover LWB with the Meridian Signature Sound System this weekend and it is was NOT able to play back any FLAC files from the USB. Likewise, the only DVD-Audio playback I could obtain was DD 5.1 and not MLP. Although there are a lot more speakers in the Range Rover, I actually prefer the sound of the ELS playback in my 2013 Acura ELS.

Thanks. I'll get to my local dealer sometime soon and will try and run tests on all the Meridian Surround Systems they have in stock. (They probably think I'm just a tyre kicker, long hair, 80s mo' and in my retirement summer outfit - shorts, sandals and T-shirt)

Can you please confirm whether the Meridian Signature System could 'see' your flac files, but not play them in surround? Or just not play them at all? Did you try a range of FLAC sample/bit depths?

Back