360RA decoding via hardware - McIntosh and other MPEG-H ready receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I checked only non-USA model AVRs from Denon/Marantz had MPEG-H decoding for whatever reason.

If anybody here in the USA knows anything different now or maybe coming up please post.

On that note does anyone know if one were to import a non-USA model AVR to the USA would it work on regular USA power?

I suppose there must be some kind of switch on the back for these kinds of scenarios? I haven't looked on my (USA) Denon AVR-X4500H.

I figure some kind of adaptor plug would probably be involved?

I've owned AVR's that were dual voltage capable. What the trend is overall these days I have no clue.
EDIT: None of my current AVR's are dual voltage. Looks like US units not set up that way anymore. (that I can find, YMMV)

If the EU unit you buy does NOT have a removable plug then you may have to rewire for another plug. (not hard IMO)
If the unit DOES have a removable plug there could well be some power cord available to do the job. Worth searching for if you go for an EU model I would think.
But it any event I don't see a problem other than you will need an outlet wired for 220.

Last edited:
Last I checked only non-USA model AVRs from Denon/Marantz had MPEG-H decoding for whatever reason.

If anybody here in the USA knows anything different now or maybe coming up please post.

On that note does anyone know if one were to import a non-USA model AVR to the USA would it work on regular USA power?

I suppose there must be some kind of switch on the back for these kinds of scenarios? I haven't looked on my (USA) Denon AVR-X4500H.

I figure some kind of adaptor plug would probably be involved.
Both Denon and Marantz currently sell several models in the US that are MPEG-H capable. Denon's X3500H is the least expensive of the bunch. What's confusing is that one or two (I forget), but not all, models above that one will also handle the format. Same with the comparable Marantz models.

Last edited:
I tried the Kodi 21 (Omega) beta download on Windows and unfortunately no dice with mpeg-h so far. It just skipped through the files. Hopefully it might come down the development line...

I see there was a thread started but one of the devs didn't sound particularly interested... Can see Garry responded at the bottom….
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371516

Last edited:
Great to hear it’s working!
Thanks again so much the info, for Atmos I just needed to get both the Audio Output Device and the Passthru Output Device set correctly to WASAPI exclusive my Denon X4700H via HDMI. Don't know why I had so much trouble finding this info before.

For MPEG-H testing I downloaded the test file at the above link. Test Signals
I have a Denon X4700H and with neither Kodi (20.2) nor VLC (3.0.19) in either Windows10 or PCLinuxOS, does the AVR recognize the file at all. VLC gives this codec error message,

"Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "mhm1" (No description for this codec)"

But I also believe the main problem starts at my AVR. The little I've read has told me that D-M AVRs support for mhm1 files began with just the most recent 2023 builds. I could be incorrect on that?
I'm personally not very concerned, the only place in the wild I might run into these files is using my Apple TV 4k box (first generation) but so far have not.

Thanks again so much the info, for Atmos I just needed to get both the Audio Output Device and the Passthru Output Device set correctly to WASAPI exclusive my Denon X4700H via HDMI. Don't know why I had so much trouble finding this info before.

For MPEG-H testing I downloaded the test file at the above link. Test Signals
I have a Denon X4700H and with neither Kodi (20.2) nor VLC (3.0.19) in either Windows10 or PCLinuxOS, does the AVR recognize the file at all. VLC gives this codec error message,

"Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "mhm1" (No description for this codec)"

But I also believe the main problem starts at my AVR. The little I've read has told me that D-M AVRs support for mhm1 files began with just the most recent 2023 builds. I could be incorrect on that?
I'm personally not very concerned, the only place in the wild I might run into these files is using my Apple TV 4k box (first generation) but so far have not.
If I remember correctly, only the most recent x800 Denon receivers should support MPEG-H decoding. The same for the corresponding Marantz products.

If I remember correctly, only the most recent x800 Denon receivers should support MPEG-H decoding. The same for the corresponding Marantz products.
From Fraunhofer's blog, about a year ago:
https://www.audioblog.iis.fraunhofer.com/denon-marantz-avr-mpegh"In addition to TV broadcast standards, MPEG-H audio is powering 360 Reality Audio immersive music services and applications that include Amazon Music Unlimited, nugs.net, Peertracks, Sony Select, and TIDAL. Owners of Denon & Marantz MPEG-H AVRs will be able to receive immersive music services from various HDMI source devices."

Apparently Amazon Fire Stick (for example) isn't one such device?

https://www.audioblog.iis.fraunhofer.com/denon-marantz-avr-mpegh"In addition to TV broadcast standards, MPEG-H audio is powering 360 Reality Audio immersive music services and applications that include Amazon Music Unlimited, nugs.net, Peertracks, Sony Select, and TIDAL. Owners of Denon & Marantz MPEG-H AVRs will be able to receive immersive music services from various HDMI source devices."

I think the new Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick / Max might support mpeg-h playback looking at the specs... They've only been out a few weeks.... This is a new addition as far as I know...

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/f...reaming-media-player.html?v=ftvstick4k_gen2_8

Yes, that was my understanding as well, which puts my Denon X4700H at least one if not 2 generations behind the curve. I'm a little weak on my tech background but at first glance isn't this something that would look to be upgrade-able via a firmware update? Maybe it's an issue of the right people getting paid their due license fees? But then I thought the MPEG-H codec was opensource ??? Hummmm. ;)

I think the new Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick / Max might support mpeg-h playback looking at the specs... They've only been out a few weeks.... This is a new addition as far as I know...

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/f...reaming-media-player.html?v=ftvstick4k_gen2_8
Well, whaddya know...so we owners of existing Fire Sticks would have to replace ours with new ones (plus MPEG-H capable AVRs) if we wanted an MPEG-H pass-through feature, then. And hope the streamers also enable the feature on their services.

To answer @Sal1950's question: yes, MPEG-H is open-source, though Sony 360 RA, which is built on MPEG-H, is not. Open source doesn't necessarily mean free, although Fraunhofer does distribute voluntary, no-fee licenses (in an effort to help maintain industry standards, I guess).
https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/lizenz.html

Last edited:
From the specs, it looks like the new Fire TV Stick 4K Max supports MPEG-H pass-through. Has anybody been able to decode/listen to 360RA music with it yet?

I have downsized my separates system for a 360 ready denon avrx6800h. Now how to play 360? Tidal am not a fan so probably Amazon music but how? Thanks!!

I have downsized my separates system for a 360 ready denon avrx6800h. Now how to play 360? Tidal am not a fan so probably Amazon music but how? Thanks!!

The Amazon Firestick TV 4K max plays RA360 and Atmos from the Firestick's Amazon Music app (you need a subscription to AM - cheaper than Tidal)

Back