$399 Marantz Quadradial Stocking Stuffer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On some craigslist somewhere, i think NYC, someone was selling a 4400 in the wood cabinet with the remote and al the original paperwork. Even I have to drool on that and I'm not even a big Marantz fan. The Marantz stuff is neat, I would buy it if i found it for a good deal, but I don't really need it right now(maybe I'm just telling myself that cause I can't afford it, if I won the lottery I would probably have every single piece of quad equipment ever made). That stuff looks amazing though. You could have the Marantz remote on one arm of yourchair, and the quad headphones control box on the other arm of your chair. You could pretend you were Captain Kirk.

I love my Marantz. It has a great build quality and a hugely underrated amplifier. The tuners are highly selective, but have poor sensitivity. However, the main systems I've had since then dwarf it hugely by comparison. Call me a hi-fi snob, if you'd like. Although I'm comparing apples and oranges, 250W x 5 and a 400W sub, also all highly underrated, blow away even a 4400. Add a 4DD5, SQD-2020 and SH-3433 scope and ANY Marantz Quadradial can't even come close in all aspects of performance or versatility.

My modern surround preamp/amps with a 60" plasma and 27" iMac with wireless keyboard and mouse are far more Kirk-ish than my RC-4 and Marantz 4400 could ever hope to be. To have 13 digital discs loaded and several hundred hours of audio and video on hard drives, and switch between them wirelessly beats a remote with balance, volume and a loudness switch any day. 15 sources, plus the ability to stream hundreds of digital audio channels, hundreds of video channels, watch countless YouTube videos and download is something we couldn't have even dreamed of in the '70's. And not a single wire to trip over when you're drunk.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade. Although a 4400 and RC-4 are still wonderful gear, a bigger scope, more power, better fidelity, more decoding/synthesizing options and no wires blast it to smithereens in every respect.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, ALL Quadraphones suck. The box on the 2+2 is a joke! I've owned several quadraphones and sold them all at retail when they were new. They make the Yugo seem like a great idea.

How often did people spring for the wood cabinet for those units?

Well, at least the investment paid off should you ever sell it. Most of the value is still in the decoder, wood case and remote.

Am I to understand you are looking for a Marantz 4430? I have one...original owner from 1973. Also have a JVC Demodultor for this unit. All for sale if interested

Can send pictures for all if interested

Now that's pissing money away with class! If only I had 1k to view as disposible! The seller really made out. Probably had no idea of what that would turn into back in the day.

On the other hand, I bought a used one for $50 on a BIN, and it came with the box. No certificate though... :(

Back