Chi-Lites self-titled Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ampex sure put out a bunch of junk on quad reel while not releasing good stuff like the rest of the Moody Blues, more BTO titles, etc.

Horrible tape. The GH tape is pretty bad as well, although I seem to remember that someone here played around with the files and tweaked out the echo.

Too bad - while this was not one of the Chi-Lites' standout titles, it was a pretty good one and had a couple of radio hits: "Stone Out Of My Mind", "I Never Had It So Good" and the highly politically incorrect "Homely Girl" (how did that ever get airplay?). It would have been nice to hear those in Quad, but oh well :)

Ampex sure put out a bunch of junk on quad reel while not releasing good stuff like the rest of the Moody Blues, more BTO titles, etc.

Blame the labels, not Ampex; they were only manufacturers, had nothing to do with choice of titles, format or masterings thereof.

ED :)

The CD of this Chi-Lites title is out of print and Amazon sellers want over $100 for it.

Sheesh :) I believe that's referred to as "unbridled enthusiasm".

It doesn't surprise me that Brunswick quad titles would be sub-par. They were not a label known for thinking outside the box, i.e., they had a formula and stuck to it. Carl Davis was not an imaginative guy, but he was a good producer (although I still do not forgive him for consistently saddling poor Jackie Wilson with show tunes and supper-club standards).

This is strictly from memory, but I'm pretty sure the only Chi-Lites quad title that's actually discrete is the album called 'Toby'. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Horrible tape. The GH tape is pretty bad as well, although I seem to remember that someone here played around with the files and tweaked out the echo.

I recently sold mine on that auction site and it went for $110. Was there any real quad on it? Hadn't played it since way back.

Attachments

• chi-lites_REEL.jpg
    chi-lites_REEL.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 94
Back