Abkco and their SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I still haven't found the Animals disc anywhere, but I did find the Hermans Hermits disc at a Media Play in CD section.

But I almost missed it, as there was only the tiny DSD logo on the back. While this is an improvement from what they did with the Rolling Stone discs with NO markings on them, still, why don't they have some indication on the front that these are SACDs???

Universal does a good job with their silver stickers, but it does not make sense to me NOT to let the buyers know they are getting something "extra", and "extra good" for their money! :confused:

JonUrban said:
I still haven't found the Animals disc anywhere, but I did find the Hermans Hermits disc at a Media Play in CD section.

But I almost missed it, as there was only the tiny DSD logo on the back. While this is an improvement from what they did with the Rolling Stone discs with NO markings on them, still, why don't they have some indication on the front that these are SACDs???

Universal does a good job with their silver stickers, but it does not make sense to me NOT to let the buyers know they are getting something "extra", and "extra good" for their money! :confused:

Both of the new ABKCO SACDs - Animals and Herman's Hermits - are at Best Buy and Tower Records stores in this area (SF Bay Area) for $14.99.

As for the stealthy marketing, I noted that in my High Fidelity Review story on the release over at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=14704844

I'm more interested in getting more hi res titles out than how they are marked.

I haven't seen the Animals disc yet, bought the Herman's disc at Media Play in the regular CD section. They had ONE copy.

danzigdan said:
I haven't seen the Animals disc yet, bought the Herman's disc at Media Play in the regular CD section. They had ONE copy.

They're both available. You'll find them here in Silicon Valley at Best Buy and Tower Records, among others.

bmoura said:
They're both available. You'll find them here in Silicon Valley at Best Buy and Tower Records, among others.

Are these stereo only or stereo and multi-channel?

Those damn Herman's Hermits songs! I listened to this disc, songs I hadn't heard in YEARS, and now they are all running through my head at the oddest times. :eek: :mad:@: :eek:

:-jon

JonUrban said:
Those damn Herman's Hermits songs! I listened to this disc, songs I hadn't heard in YEARS, and now they are all running through my head at the oddest times. :eek: :mad:@: :eek:

Ahm Enery the eighth I am! Enery the eighth I am, I am! :banana:

JonUrban said:

Well, I can't say I ever owned any Herman's Hermits discs before. But I will agree some of those are fun in a '60s way!

Hi Jon,
I think that the disc you found in the cd section was a cd and not an sacd (unless it had the logo, or said sacd somewhere on the package)

I have Dave Bruebeck's Par Avenue South which has the dsd logo with direct stream digital under it.

To the side it has cd-83570
TELARC
This compact disc was produced from Direct Stream Digital masters with the Sony/Philips DSD recording system.

I'm quite pleased with the quality of this 2ch disc which was recorded at Starbucks but I guess I could make this assertion.

A disc that has sacd on it is always DSD, but a disc that has DSD on it is not always an sacd. Is this assertion accurate?

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi Jon,
I think that the disc you found in the cd section was a cd and not an sacd (unless it had the logo, or said sacd somewhere on the package)

I have Dave Bruebeck's Par Avenue South which has the dsd logo with direct stream digital under it.

To the side it has cd-83570
TELARC
This compact disc was produced from Direct Stream Digital masters with the Sony/Philips DSD recording system.

I'm quite pleased with the quality of this 2ch disc which was recorded at Starbucks but I guess I could make this assertion.

A disc that has sacd on it is always DSD, but a disc that has DSD on it is not always an sacd. Is this assertion accurate?

Peter m.

Correct. Some discs recorded in or mastered with Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology make their way to Stereo CDs or Vinyl LPs vs. Super Audio CDs.

petermwilson said:
Hi Jon,
Peter m.
No, I found the SACD. These is a small DSD logo along with a small SACD logo on the back, and I mean SMALL!!

I prefer the Universal style large round sticker, or at least SOME sticker on the front to let folks know they have something special in their hands. Sony did a good job marking as well.

However, Abkco with their RS releases did not mark the outside at all, and on these two it's almost an "oh, by the way" type of thing.

JonUrban said:
No, I found the SACD. These is a small DSD logo along with a small SACD logo on the back, and I mean SMALL!!

I prefer the Universal style large round sticker, or at least SOME sticker on the front to let folks know they have something special in their hands. Sony did a good job marking as well.

However, Abkco with their RS releases did not mark the outside at all, and on these two it's almost an "oh, by the way" type of thing.

There is a reason that Abkco is not being very obvious about their discs being dual layered SACD/CDs. They want them to be marketed to CD buyers first, and they figure that SACD buyers will find them if interested.

They don't want them filed out of the way in a special area, they want them in there with all the rest of the "CD" discs on sale.

If all SACD discs could be marketed this way, perhaps with slighly larger notices on back, the format might be better off today. But then they would all have to have dual layers to be in the CD section.

Jeff Turkali said:
There is a reason that Abkco is not being very obvious about their discs being dual layered SACD/CDs. They want them to be marketed to CD buyers first, and they figure that SACD buyers will find them if interested.

Actually the Sam Cooke SACDs from ABKCO do indeed have an SACD sticker on them. Yet some stores stock them in the regular CD section while others place them with the SACDs.

Back