Acoustic Sounds Launches DSD Download Site

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure that a DSD download would necessarily sound better than the SACD disc version. Unless a) the quality of the DSD DAC was better than the person's Oppo disc player or b) the music was available for download was at twice the SACD resolution (DSD128 vs. DSD64).

There is a thread on another forum with a few members with Playback Designs SACD players saying their Playstation 3 ripped DSD files sounded better than the physical disc playback. Both disc and ripped files would have been 64fs.

Personally I think DSD over USB with my Benchmark DAC2 sounds better than the disc played in my 105. But this is an apples to oranges comparison since the two hardware devices are different.

roll on the Hi-Rez Surround music downloads! :banana:

few things to consider:

downloadable file in fact gives a rid of necessity to have hardware means for end user to do it itself.
thus amount of free downloads just will expand due to no need for end user to have hardware means
to rip DSD stream off physical SACD. well, some small companys with limited # of payrolls perhaps
wouldn't got an impact but huge one definately wouldn't have interest in helping piracy.

broadband speed is just half story. don't know how in England, but in Canada internet services very
highly monopolized. in fact all belong to 2(East Canada)+2(West Canada) major providers, who's dictate
price, conditions and caps on how much user alowed to download per month.

how many of people will be willing to pay same amount for downloadable file, which have no materialistic
values, instead of buying physical discs

I'm more into the physical product but if its for physical discs that are no longer affordable (way too many of those nowadays, as we all know) I'll settle for a download.

There is a thread on another forum with a few members with Playback Designs SACD players saying their Playstation 3 ripped DSD files sounded better than the physical disc playback. Both disc and ripped files would have been 64fs.

Personally I think DSD over USB with my Benchmark DAC2 sounds better than the disc played in my 105. But this is an apples to oranges comparison since the two hardware devices are different.

Yes, and the components in a dedicated DSD DAC from companies like Mytek, Playback Designs, EMM Labs, etc. are quite a bit more sophisticated than the Sabre ES chips found in the Oppo players and the ExaSound DSD converters. But then again, the prices are very different as well.

For example, if you have a Playback Designs DSD DAC (price= $13,000), that's quite a bit more expensive than an Oppo or an earlier SACD disc player. So I'd agree there - it would undoubtedly sound better.
If you compare it to a Playback Designs Stereo SACD player (price= $15,000), it would be a wash I suspect.... :)

So it's more the quality of converter circuitry inside than whether it's a DAC or SACD player.

Yes, and the components in a dedicated DSD DAC from companies like Mytek, Playback Designs, EMM Labs, etc. are quite a bit more sophisticated than the Sabre ES chips found in the Oppo players and the ExaSound DSD converters. But then again, the prices are very different as well.

For example, if you have a Playback Designs DSD DAC (price= $13,000), that's quite a bit more expensive than an Oppo or an earlier SACD disc player. So I'd agree there - it would undoubtedly sound better.
If you compare it to a Playback Designs Stereo SACD player (price= $15,000), it would be a wash I suspect.... :)

So it's more the quality of converter circuitry inside than whether it's a DAC or SACD player.

The Playback Designs SACD player has a USB input in the same unit. The only difference is the transport. One is a disc being read inside the player, the other a digital file from the computer.

The Playback Designs SACD player has a USB input in the same unit. The only difference is the transport. One is a disc being read inside the player, the other a digital file from the computer.

Right - the SACD player adds a TEAC Esoteric SACD player hence the added $2,000 in cost.
But the internal audio circuitry is identical. That's why the sound would be the same with a DSD or an SACD Player.

Back