Acura TL: New Life Rebuilt OE Amp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Today I swapped out a failing TL amp where the right channels were down 80/20 with weak overall volume. That all changed for the better with this amp.

I could’ve gone to a pull a part yard and bought a used amp for $25-$50, might be in similar shape soon. Checking eBay, I came across a listing of a rebuilt amp where the capacitors and other parts that fail with better components. $189 less $40 core = $149.

It was a nasty “10 minute job” due to a nut above the amp that had to be loosened. I’d hate to have to do it over again so the rebuilt amp seemed logical, especially given the improved parts utilized.

Harness hanging right in the way and no 10mm deep socket so I couldn’t complete it last weekend. If not for that $40 core refund, I’d have it bent it and busted it off!

After several cold then rainy days kept me off task. I wrapped it up this afternoon with a plug it test with kick panel still off. A giddy smile hit my face when I heard the gain I’d been missing!

Very pleased, punchy full sound makes the car twice as much fun. I can trust this rig to judge my own surround mixes. I think this is pretty close to the sound enjoyed this summer in a rented RDX.
Happy Ending!

IMG_9505.jpeg
IMG_9504.jpeg

How did you diagnose this issue? I recently got a 2012 TL w/ ELS and love the sound system, but on a few dvd-a's with some panning I notice a volume drop in one of the channels as the sound pans. I might need to do what you did, although it's rarely noticeable- 99% of the time it sounds great, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing??? Also, maybe it's not the amp but one of the speakers?

Is it one amp for all 6 channels?

How did you diagnose this issue? I recently got a 2012 TL w/ ELS and love the sound system, but on a few dvd-a's with some panning I notice a volume drop in one of the channels as the sound pans. I might need to do what you did, although it's rarely noticeable- 99% of the time it sounds great, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing??? Also, maybe it's not the amp but one of the speakers?

Is it one amp for all 6 channels?
It is one amp for all 6 channels.

My experience is with the amp used in 2004-2008 models. It began with increasing use of the balance control leaning LEFT more and more. I never consider it to be speakers because they never sounded bad or dropped out at any time. Thought it might be the head unit for a while as it seemed to be full steam with FM radio and stereo CDs, only sounding diminished when playing DVD-A discs.

Eventually the left channels just disappeared altogether in any mode. Once that happened, combined with Google search on determining longevity (or lack thereof) on these amps, it became pretty clear the amp was the problem.

I'd think the 2012 would be new enough not to have this issue but cannot say for sure. Try with different discs and sources in both stereo and surround. Play with the balance controls. Compare the volume of hard left against hard right; they should be roughly the same.

This is who I bought from; 15% off right now. They may have later units if the need arises.

eBay Acura amp.jpg

From their eBay listing text:

-Why is this happening?
Faults above are caused by faulty capacitors or capacitors that are going bad in the amplifier. This is very common on 2004 to 2006 Acura TL as they had lower grade capacitors. Not as common on 2007 to 2008 as Acura upgraded the capacitors in the amplifiers. They still fail as these vehicles are coming up on 20 years old and capacitors degrade over time. For this reason, ALL CAPACITORS are replaced with Nichicon capacitors on every amplifier.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I will play around with balance and see what that shows. I've played many discs- everything it accepts: DVD-A; DTS CD and CD. Just in a couple rare instances have I noticed anything, so I doubt it is anything, but I'll try your suggestions. Thanks again.

Back