Advice on Speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punisheds

Looking to upgrade past my JVC Quad Headphones and start using speakers. Current gear are the audio outs on my PC (Asus Prime MB), JVC SEA-V7E, and I am planning on getting a QRX 9001 and a turntable soon. The fronts are going to be on my desk at about 2.5' away from me while the rears could either be floor or stand mounts. The budget is $800-$1,000 and used speakers are fine.

I'm still using my ELAC Debut 5's and 6's. About 7-8 years old. Two sets should probably run you close to that. Designed by Andrew Jones. Good customer service. I'm looking to upgrade to bigtime in the next few years, but they certainly do the job now.

Looking to upgrade past my JVC Quad Headphones and start using speakers. Current gear are the audio outs on my PC (Asus Prime MB), JVC SEA-V7E, and I am planning on getting a QRX 9001 and a turntable soon. The fronts are going to be on my desk at about 2.5' away from me while the rears could either be floor or stand mounts. The budget is $800-$1,000 and used speakers are fine.
While I have no specific recommendations I would suggest matched speakers front to rear. You can get away with using better speakers for the front but for the best quad everything should be matched. I cringe at modern systems with large front speaks and dicky little ones for the surround channels. No wonder most people use surround for movies only!

I have some free 5.1 speakers including a sub in a box you can have if you pay postage. I tried to sell them for $100 over Christmas and no luck with the Christmas sales.

Shipping will be from Calgary, AB, Canada.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I'm still using my ELAC Debut 5's and 6's. About 7-8 years old. Two sets should probably run you close to that. Designed by Andrew Jones. Good customer service. I'm looking to upgrade to bigtime in the next few years, but they certainly do the job now.
Ended up getting the debut 2.0 6, damn are they good. For the receiver I got a Marantz SR7400 as a temp. I do have a slight problem with a 5800hz static noise coming out of my computers speaker out on the rear IO. Also my equalizer injects a vinyl like hiss when I go through it from my PC to the receiver. Any tips?

Back