AKAI GX-280D-SS Play [FWD] speed slows down to almost a stop. [REV] Plays and sounds fine

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedes

Hi, And thanks for accepting me to the group. A month ago I picked up an AKAI GX-280D-SS. ( My third R2R in a few months. HELP ME!) Wouldn't power on at first but it was a blown fuse. Everything was stiff from the old grease that turned into what looked like a piece of amber. So before powering it up I took care of the cleaning and lubing, removing the relay covers and cleaning the contacts, and replaced the missing capstan. Hmm still not right. Ahhh the jumper plug was missing. made a jumper. Turned it on. Wow. Its working. Did a bit more cleaning and tweaking but have used it with some of the old pre recorded tapes I had. However. Last night I went to use it. Pushed the FWD (PLAY) button, it started playing but after a few seconds of normal speed it slows down and almost stops. Switch over to REV, and the speed and sound are perfect. I downloaded the service manual but the photos are useless. Can't make them out. Any ideas?

Seconded. If the tape is not sticky, motor run cap is the next most likely.. After that, relays (but you've covered that).

Have you tried a Maxell UD 35-90 tape? My Akai GX 270D-SS (2 of them) will do the same thing because of Sticky-shed syndrome, But run just fine with the better quality tapes.

Last edited:
Back