AKAI GX-400D SS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgordon

Quad guys,

First time poster. I typically run around the vinyl forums on audiokarma, but I found a deck over the weekend and I was hoping for some feedback.

This was in a thrift store, it passed the "if you grunt when you pick it up, buy it" test, so I brought it home. Can you tell me a little about it?

I'm debating jumping into the world of tape or letting it go to further the vinyl hobby. You guys are probably biased toward jumping into tape (and quad tape at that, but hoping for a lesson on what I have and where to go from here.

Thanks very much.

photo(9).jpg

IMG_7769.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

This is a highly sought after machine. I would guess that you will want to keep it, but should you decide to sell it, you will not lose money on it! :)

This is a great starting point for you to enter the analog tape world. Nice find!

One of the better Akai Quad decks if not the best. May have issues with transistors being noisy. When functioning correctly, very good sounding. Mechanically reliable as a rule. Very nice machine.

That one is a real beauty for sure!
I still run my Akai GX 635D and it sounds beautiful.
Had I had money at the time for a Quad, it would have been that one.

Do enjoy. :smokin

Just an added note:
If you do decide to pursue the "Tape" route, be wary of the tape that you purchase when and if you can find it.
Many tapes made in the late 70's and through the 80's now suffer from "Sticky Shed Syndrome" and all the information you need on that can be found on the internet. There are very few "New" tape manufacturers.

Have fun discovering some new adventures in sound!

@jgordon

The right arm needs adjustment. It's supposed to be horizontal like the other one and not straight up and down. I have two GX-400D SS decks. A silver face and the black face one like yours.

Do yourself a favor. If it is in good shape, rewinds now with no problem, do not use that function. Rewind on another machine. Dead serious, as it is the function on these that tends to poop. Plus the tape now is stickier and makes it much more difficult on the motors than when these were made. Kinda reduces the value if it goes. Nothing better than the glass heads in these, high end is wonderful. Get a cheap rewind machine and use this for play only.

Back