AM Stereo Radio - (matrix) Quadraphonic Demo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003

I know this special AM broadcast has been discussed in QQ before, but I've been trying to convince people over in RadioDiscussions.com of the value of surround sound on radio and I found this, it provide amazing directionality thru Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode decoding.

Kirk Bayne

Almost any stereo method is suitable for containing matrix quad/surround sound encoded content, very low data rate stereo mp3 would probably be unsuitable though.

Kirk Bayne

Yeah I have an AM stereo system in my 80’s era car. We have a great oldies station here (1450 AM) that broadcasts in AM stereo. My car has a 4 speaker system and when I travel close to their signal I get some very cool 4 channel effects because the speakers are placed just perfectly. I can’t explain the effect, and it is different than what you get from FM stereo. It is almost like because of the lower bandwidth, the stereo effects are much different. Almost like a quasi-quad effect.

I had AM stereo in my Plymouth Voyager and it worked great! Sadly most of those AM stations have shut down (flipped to FM). The AM stations left dropped stereo long ago. Not even an oldies station left! We briefly had two of them both AM stereo.

Last edited:
Back