Amazon.com feels bad you bought an HD DVD player, so here's $50

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
I phoned Amazon.com to confirm this: Those who bought an HD-DVD player before 2-23-08 at Amazon should get an e-mail with a code for $50 credit. E-mails are supposed to go out on the 9th or 10th. If you don’t get your e-mail in the next day or so, I was told to contact them and someone would give you one.

What am I going to do with my credit? Get more HD-DVD movies! :smokin

April 9, 2008 11:30 AM PDT
Amazon.com feels bad you bought an HD DVD player, so here's $50
Posted by Erica Ogg

Still reeling from the recently concluded format war?

Lucky for some early adopters, the number of retailers lining up to ease your pain is growing: first Best Buy, then Wal-Mart, and now Amazon. The online retail giant is currently offering a $50 credit for every HD DVD player purchased on its site. The offer is good until April 9, 2009, for HD DVD players bought before February 23, when Toshiba said it would stop making the devices.

Gizmodo has posted the e-mail sent to some Amazon customers on Tuesday. I've excerpted the best parts:

"New technologies don't always work out as planned. We at Amazon.com value our customer relationships more than anything and would like to support customers who purchased these players by offering a credit good for $50 off any products sold by Amazon.com...In addition, we'd like to share some of our top offers on Blu-ray discs, HDTVs and other high-def technology..."

This is surely a smart way to build goodwill with your existing customers when a technology becomes obsolete. And what better way to lessen the sting of money lost than by offering the cool salve of the opportunity to spend more money?

Best Buy launched a similar program last month, rewarding $50 to customers who purchased the doomed devices. Wal-Mart said Tuesday it is extending its return policy from 90 days to 6 months on HD DVD players.

All of them, it should be noted, still sell HD DVD players and/or movie titles.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9915375-7.html?tag=nefd.top

Amazing deals. You could have purchased an HD-A3 for $100, gotten 7 free HD DVD's, and $50 back and still have your player to sell which is worth about $50 used, not to mention the free discs which sell for about $8 each used now. I have never seen anything like these deals with all of the failed formats I have purchased. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Amazon, and Circuit City have either offered credits or extended return periods. What company is eating the cost for this charity program? I assume the retailers are as I have seen nothing indicating Toshiba is helping fund it. I have two different HD DVD models, the HD-A1 purchased too early and from the wrong retailer and the HD-XA2, purchased recently from the wrong retailer. Some people have all the luck.

Chris

I just got that email as well. $50 is cool! Best Buy is also giving me $50 because I bought my XA2 there.

Also, anyone who has an HD-DVD player they want to get rid of, Best Buy has a "trade-in" deal. You can get $125 for an XA1, and less for other models. I doubt anyone would want to part with an XA2. I know I would not.

Here's the link: https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/

ASIDE: I still can't wait to find out the REAL story behind the demise of HD-DVD. There are too many of these weird things that have happened to the format since last fall. It can not all be coincidence. Very strange..........................:mad:@:

HD DVD might be a failed format. but it is a great way to get bargain discs that look fantastic..I got 40 new sealed HD DVD movies for $407...and most of them retail here for $29.95 each just as a dvd !....so just on that alone I've saved close to $800 over buying the standard dvd version.....and the hd dvd players closed out here at $99 in the end for the base model...it is a great buyers market...heck at that saving you could even buy a blu ray player and still be in front...sure there will probably be no more new hd dvd releases..but there was enough released to keep you busy for a long long time..

I have not received the e-mail yet saying we're going to get $50. Did the e-mail saying you were getting the $50 credit actually contain the credit code or is that coming later?

Back