Amazon to block Aussie customers from Global marketplace

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I suspect it may also be an excuse to force Australians to shop at their Aust website:mad:

Definitely. But I wouldn’t be surprised if everything being sold on Amazon US that can ship to AU will be added to Amazon’s AU website on 1 July. Currently the Amazon AU site doesn’t have much at all and Amazon US must sell millions of $ to Australia each year. Too much business to walk away from. Redirecting to Amazon AU will ensure the GST (Tax) gets collected up front on purchase. Probably ship in bulk to their new warehouses in AU then sent by local courier/mail.

NZ is supposedly implementing a tax on stuff under $400 by Oct 2019 in a brainless knee-jerk reaction to businesses complaining that NZers don't buy stuff locally cos they can get it cheaper overseas (completely ignoring the poor selection of stuff available in NZ and the fact that tons of stuff just isn't available in NZ).

Amazon will probably do the same to NZ. I'll have to sort out some intermediary so I can continue to purchase music and movies from them. I believe there are services such as these available.

Definitely. But I wouldn’t be surprised if everything being sold on Amazon US that can ship to AU will be added to Amazon’s AU website on 1 July. Currently the Amazon AU site doesn’t have much at all and Amazon US must sell millions of $ to Australia each year. Too much business to walk away from. Redirecting to Amazon AU will ensure the GST (Tax) gets collected up front on purchase. Probably ship in bulk to their new warehouses in AU then sent by local courier/mail.

I would be fine with that. My main concern is lack of availability of some things in Aus. For example, I bought XTC's Nonsuch blu ray in Aus. For all other releases I had to go to the UK

NZ is supposedly implementing a tax on stuff under $400 by Oct 2019 in a brainless knee-jerk reaction to businesses complaining that NZers don't buy stuff locally cos they can get it cheaper overseas (completely ignoring the poor selection of stuff available in NZ and the fact that tons of stuff just isn't available in NZ).

Coincidentally, that's why Amazon gets so much of my money, and I'm an American! It's not that I wouldn't rather buy a lot of the stuff locally where I could support small businesses and have instant gratification, it's that there's nowhere local that I CAN buy much of what I order. And I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere.

Coincidentally, that's why Amazon gets so much of my money, and I'm an American! It's not that I wouldn't rather buy a lot of the stuff locally where I could support small businesses and have instant gratification, it's that there's nowhere local that I CAN buy much of what I order. And I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere.
I have experienced the same in Australia. 10 years ago I bought something off the net from Sydney (they also had bricks and mortar store in Sydney as well as website) for half the price a business in my state was charging.

I’m not confident amazon Australia will offer the type of CDs/BluRay & DVD I used to buy on amazon us & uk and even if they did for some bizarre reason items such as CDs, books and such items seem to be always extremely expensive in Australia anyway. I hope I’m wrong

I’m not confident amazon Australia will offer the type of CDs/BluRay & DVD I used to buy on amazon us & uk and even if they did for some bizarre reason items such as CDs, books and such items seem to be always extremely expensive in Australia anyway. I hope I’m wrong
I hope you are wrong too ... but I have my doubts...

Back