B.B.King - Reflections

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMabuse2001

Just thought I would post on this one. Picked it up at Best Buy yesterday. I am not a huge B.B. fan but always anxious to hear NEW SACD recordings.
This is a new album of classic pop standards and R&B tunes that is is his first. It is produced by Simon Climie who also worked on the Eric Clapton/B.B. King record.
Well....I was quite stunned by the record overall. I am currently breaking in some new paradigm Reference V.3's and this record continuously gave me those "audio goosebumps" that I have such a hard time explaining to my "non audiogeek" friends.
Every track is a stellar production with everything that I love about SACD burying the needle.
Smooth highs and smooth lows and an orchestra that appears to be playing somewhere across the street from my house! (And I mean that in a good way - geeks will understand :)
Track 11 has a kick drum that I could feel in my chest.
I guess the new speakers might have some part in this but I have been doing a lot of listening since my purchase and I must say this disc is a winner.
Whether you dig the King or not - HIGHLY recommended!
/\/\abuse

I agree that the quality of the disc is very good. However, I have always been a fan of B.B. and it is very apparent with this release that his voice is past it's prime. Alas, I feel that he should stop singing and just play the guitar and maybe get another vocalist if necessary. He should go out with some dignity. Is it track 11 or 12 that you are referring to vis a vis the kick drum? The entire recording has presence though. It's just that there is a lot of support that is carrying B.B. in this one.

DrM,
It never ceases to amaze me how many people there are from the Toronto area (and Canada) on this board. Where do you get most of your discs from?

hey,
Well let's say I have become the king of the internet. Have given up on local retail.
Amazon, AcousticSounds, Label direct - you name it.
have to feed my habit........LOL

DrMabuse2001 said:
hey,
Well let's say I have become the king of the internet. Have given up on local retail.
Amazon, AcousticSounds, Label direct - you name it.
have to feed my habit........LOL

With me it is usually the local BestBuy along with amazon.ca. How do you find the other 2 sites with regards to supply and possible tariffs etc.

Hi,
With Acoustic Sounds it takes a long time to get the stuff and I usually get "dinged" at customs to add to the time but they have been very attentive. As for label direct I guess it was a bit misleading as I meant going to a label direct such as Telarc or ZTT which has by and large been good.
I can't for the life of me figure out how customs works - no rhyme or reason as to what packages get hit. My Amazon.Co.UK orders run at about 95% getting charged custom charges which can be very expensive. I buy a lot of regular CD's as well so I don't think about pricing that much anymore - if it is something I want it is tough to just find it a lot of the time.
/\/\

There is a limit for customs charges into the UK (and Europe) and that limit is about GBP18:00 (25 or 30 EUR into Europe), which works out usually at either 2 cds or 1 DVD for me to get hold of goods from the US.
There are rumours that this is about to change because it costs customs to much to collect small ammounts and that anything where duty would be less that EUR10 about 7GBP will not attract a duty payment. This has yet to be acted upon by UK Customs, but would double a single shipment value for me.

I am sure there must be a viable lower limit in other countries maybe someone in logistics on the discussion board could find out
:mad:@: :sun

I am way behind you guys, I just got this SACD and I am listening to it for the first time. I am a big blues fan and have always liked B. B. King although he is far from my favorite blues performer, I don't think he was ever among the best blues singers. This disc is very good and he sounds great for a 77-year old singer, but he couldn't get a recording contract based on his vocal abilities now, there can be no doubt about that. Still, the guy is a legend and a great guy and this is a decent effort overall. I looked for a poll to vote on this and I guess there isn't one.

Chris

Chris Gerhard said:
I am way behind you guys, I just got this SACD and I am listening to it for the first time. I am a big blues fan and have always liked B. B. King although he is far from my favorite blues performer, I don't think he was ever among the best blues singers. This disc is very good and he sounds great for a 77-year old singer, but he couldn't get a recording contract based on his vocal abilities now, there can be no doubt about that. Still, the guy is a legend and a great guy and this is a decent effort overall. I looked for a poll to vote on this and I guess there isn't one.

Chris

The thing I remember about this one most clearly was the vocal performance---how much I didn't like it. I seem to remember these songs not suiting his voice (or vice versa).

Back