Beatles Apple USB Thing - Pretty cool!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Of course, being of that "age" (both literally and figuratively), I went and ordered one of those Apple USB Beatles boxes. After all, it's "HiRez"!! :rolleyes:

Well, it showed up today, and I have to say, "It's pretty cool!" :banana: (Can you believe that Amazon sent it without insurance? It was just sitting on my stoop, never had to sign for it at all!???)

The first thing I did was copy the whole thing to one of my music drives, a large 1.5 TB monster in one of my removable slots on the big PC. It took about 9 minutes to copy. Once that was done, I opened up the 24bit files in Sound Forge 10 (without an issue) and listened on the PC. It was very cool to be able to just grab a tune, look at it, hear it, solo a single channel, and explore these songs I know by heart with little or no effort.

I was even taking sections of "Revolution #9", and reversing the backwards audio in SF just to hear what that would sound like.

For those of you who do conversions and work with audio files on your PC, this thing is a no brainer. In fact, it's quite puzzling in a way. With all of the crap we've put up with regarding copy protection in the past 10 years, here is EMI "handing over the keys", so to speak, to the entire Beatles catalog!! WTF is that? :mad:@:

For those interested, the files are separate for each song, sorted by album, but can be pasted together to create a seamless file. For example, I put Abbey Road together by creating an empty 24/44.1 wav file in SF and just pasting the flac files into it from first track to last. It worked great. (Time to make a DVD-A for the car! (y))

At any rate, of course the Blu-Rays will come soon enough, and hopefully in 5.1, but for now, the USB Apple is a hoot. I suppose I should have never gone for the stereo CD box. It was nice of them to hold off announcing this USB thing until after folks bought the remastered box sets, eh? :rolleyes:

NOTE:
The wav file shown at the bottom is the end of Abbey Road, from "I will sing a lullaby", right before "Carry That Weight". You can "see" "Her Majesty" there at the end! :phones

Attachments

• Apple USB 1.jpg
    Apple USB 1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 305
  • Apple USB 2.jpg
    Apple USB 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Apple Tree.jpg
    Apple Tree.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Abbey End.jpg
    Abbey End.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 278
Wow, that is a much better purchase than the stereo box set. The Beatles USB box set won't play using our Oppo BDP-83 except as MP3, will it?

Chris

Wow, that is a much better purchase than the stereo box set. The Beatles USB box set won't play using our Oppo BDP-83 except as MP3, will it?

Chris

Yeah, you're right Chris. I went and tried the USB Apple Core in the Oppo, and browsed to the FLAC directory, but it didn't "see" anything there. Moving over to the MP3 directory, and all was fine, graphics and all. (See pictures below).

Maybe someday they'll do a firmware update to allow the playing of FLAC files. I'm not sure how involved that would be.

Attachments

• oppo apple.jpg
    oppo apple.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 256
  • oppo apple 3.jpg
    oppo apple 3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 253
  • oppo apple 2.jpg
    oppo apple 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 249
Wow, thanks for sharing the info. That looks like a cool item. It's a clever way to sell digital music by putting it in an interesting USB drive and that you get Hi-Rez lossless. Now if we can only get the Hi-Rez Multi-channel along with Stereo/Mono mixes on Blu-Ray, DVD-A or whatever, that would be great.

I don't know what it will take to get the Oppo BDP-83 to play FLAC from USB, I believe it is possible. I hope Amazon runs this set as a daily special sometime. Since it is likely a very limited edition product, I am going to guess that never happens.

Chris

Of course there is a debate to be had about whether 24/44.1 is really high-resolution and whether you will actually hear any difference. As far as these being "lossless" any 16/44.1 CD is lossless. And since these were mastered at 24/192 from analog masters something has been lost somewhere.

Why not release these as 16/48? Factory were releasing commercial DATs of some albums as early as 1987.

Or 24/48? Simple - that's too close to 24/96 which is what you will be getting these same tracks as on Blu-Ray in a couple of years. And finally you'll be buying downloads of them at 24/192.

How many times are people going to buy the same songs?

As for playback I use a PC running foobar2000 through an Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe sound card to a QRX-9001. Simple.

And the FLACs have already escaped to some download sites.

I don't know what it will take to get the Oppo BDP-83 to play FLAC from USB, I believe it is possible.

Hi Chris,

two months ago I wrote to Oppo asking this feature. Their feedback was....

I'm sorry, but the hardware does not support FLAC, so this will not added later.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

:(

Bye,

Nick (Italy)

I just picked up a used one last week from Amazon and love it. Plugs into my Onkyo 609 USB port and plays without a hitch. I've been strictly playing the FLAC files up to this point and it sounds great. I don't have the CD remastered box set but understand they sound the same and doubt I could hear the difference with these HiRes files even if there is a difference for others. I haven't even played the mp3 files yet but doubt I can tell much difference there either, though look forward to the comparison. I didn't pay much more for this than a used box set, so it's kind of a wash without space being taken up by the box set, plus the cool apple bauble. I plan on copying it to my NAS. The documentary shorts are a bit "meh" but owning the Anthology DVD set makes that a moot point.

An interesting thing I have found is that some tracks in PLII Music are very impressive as faux 5.1 mixes, much more so than anything I ever heard with my original CDs or AAC files I ripped from them. I don't understand enough about DSP to explain that, but it is a very refreshing listen to music I have loved and listened to for decades.

Please no one blow the OP's mind by informing him that you can copy a CD to a computer and do all the same things (look at it with Audioforge, listen to one channel (actually the balance control on any audio device will do that). Shhhh.

Please no one blow the OP's mind by informing him that you can copy a CD to a computer and do all the same things (look at it with Audioforge, listen to one channel (actually the balance control on any audio device will do that). Shhhh.

The point was you didn't have to do that with it already done for you. :rolleyes:

Back