Big Big Train live BluRay 5.1 coming in December!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
You have no idea how excited this news makes me! It's something I have been looking forward to for a very, very long time and this morning I saw confirmation from Big Big Train's audio engineer Rob Aubrey that he's currently working on the surround mixes for Big Big Train's December release of "Stone and Steel" on DVD and BluRay.

So who are Big Big Train?
They're a contemporary Prog Rock band who are arguably one of the most successful of the "new" bands in this genre in recent years, founded in 1990 by Greg Spawton, the current line up, which has been expanded for live performance includes Nick D'Virgilio, Dave Gregory, Rachel Hall, David Longdon, Danny Manners, Andy Poole, Rikard Sjöblom and Gregory Spawton. The music could be shallowly described as "Trick of the Tail" era Genesis (indeed vocalist Longdon had an audition for Genesis back in the day) but they're so much more than that. Melodic, thoughtful and complex (but not "twiddly") and quintessentially English.

Have a look and listen here: http://www.bigbigtrain.com/ The video of "Victorian Brickwork" on the main page will tell you everything you need to know about the band! :) (Watch it until the end as the brass section is spine chilling.)

I've been a fan since around 2007 and one of my biggest musical dreams has been to hear their music in 5.1 and now it will happen. :banana:

So what is "Stone and Steel"?
(taken from the band's Facebook page FAQ)
"This will be a DVD, Blu-Ray release and high-definition download release. It will consist of live-in-the studio performances of a number of songs plus some documentary footage and film of three or four live songs from the Kings Place gigs. Bonus material will be available online and may include interviews and drum-cam footage. Expected release date is December 2015."

To expand; the "live-in-studio" was recorded at Real World studios using the live band line up complete with brass and strings. It was essentially the extended rehearsal for the live gigs this summer just gone, though it was always intended to record/release the material. (Annoyingly, I was asked to photograph these rehearsals for the band but couldn't because I was in Turkey at the time!)

...anywa, enough rambling. If you like good, thoughtful well written music with a story give them a listen and get behind this release. I have a feeling that it's going to be awesome!

I second that. Amazing band, and this is an essential purchase:cool: I didn't know that this release was coming this year!

It will consist of live-in-the studio performances of a number of songs....

I am a huge fan of the live in studio thing. There is something about the combo of: Highest fidelity possible & the band playing every note live. That's what HiFi music should be, right? The Flower Kings have a fantastic "live in studio" DVD, btw...

@Neil: I am very happy for you. Nothing better than a favorite band producing hifi surround music! :music

I admire BBT and they are the real deal for sure. This BluRay is a must buy for me. (y)

Great news but question is: Will it be a real 5.1 mix or expanded stereo? Neil, do you happen to know?

Great news but question is: Will it be a real 5.1 mix or expanded stereo? Neil, do you happen to know?

I don't know for certain, and I think it's Rob Aubrey's first 5.1 mix (?) but I've been talking on and off with Greg for ages (years) about 5.1 and I know he's a big fan of the format, so I'm very optimistic that it's going to be "real" 5.1.

My only disappointment is that there isn't more actual concert footage (the reviews were VERY positive across the board), but that this will be live-in-studio and mixed in surround will make up for it since this will be the first release of theirs in 5.1. The English Electric: Full Power album is one of my recent all-time favorites, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

My only disappointment is that there isn't more actual concert footage (the reviews were VERY positive across the board), but that this will be live-in-studio and mixed in surround will make up for it since this will be the first release of theirs in 5.1. The English Electric: Full Power album is one of my recent all-time favorites, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

The King's Place gigs were spectacularly good. I did photography at the Sunday gig (one of my photos is embedded below) and the combination of material, musicianship, great sound and fervent support made it a very, very special day. Easily one of my top 5 gigs, maybe even top 10. The full gig will be released as a live album late 2016 and the video footage used for various things, including sales via Vimeo between now and then.

The link I put on the first post includes a full video of what was certainly one of the highlights of the gig, "Victorian Brickwork" complete with live brass ensemble. Spine tingling stuff!

11892369_10153193538549397_1853605590576731190_o.jpg

The pre-order isn't active yet, but once it is my recommendation would be buy direct from the band's webshop: http://www.bigbigtrain.com/main/shop/cd_shop

Or use their merch distributer "The Merch Desk" run by the lovely Nellie: http://www.themerchdesk.com/

but I'm not sure yet if Nellie will be handling pre-orders. I'll find out and let you know.

Awesome, thanks. I'll be checking this thread to see... I really like the idea of this release and I'm sure it will sound amazing.

Updated news on this:

The release of Stone and Steel, originally planned for this year, will now happen on 7th March 2016. Alongside nine songs and documentary footage filmed at Real World in 2014, we have decided to include four songs from the Kings Place gigs this year, and to mix all performances in 5.1 as well as stereo. It hasn't proved possible to complete this work in time for a pre-Christmas release.

Given a total running time which will approach three hours, we've also taken the decision to release Stone and Steel on Blu-Ray only to ensure the highest quality video and audio. It will also be available as a paid download via Vimeo.

As a consolation for anybody who was hoping that Santa might put a copy in their stocking, we've released video of another Kings Place performance online: Judas Unrepentant. (This performance won't be included in Stone and Steel)

So, bad news delay until March :(, good news it will all be in 5.1 :) :banana:

I've been meaning to post the same update, but hadn't quite got around to it so you saved me a job. ;)

They also released a storming version of "Judas Unrepentant" which starts with a superb drum solo by Nick D'Virgilio from the King's Place gigs:

[video=youtube;n_i-uqGNzgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_i-uqGNzgU[/video]

Easily one of my top 5 gigs, maybe even top 10.

:mad:@:

If it is in your top 5 that puts it automatically in your top 10. (y)

Seriously, sounds like a great gig. I like this band and I think English Electric is their best work(to my ears). I will definitely be getting this.

What a nice unexpected surprise! Now... how about some Transatlantic in 5.1??? :smokin

I've been meaning to post the same update, but hadn't quite got around to it so you saved me a job. ;)

They also released a storming version of "Judas Unrepentant" which starts with a superb drum solo by Nick D'Virgilio from the King's Place gigs:

[video=youtube;n_i-uqGNzgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_i-uqGNzgU[/video]

Sounds excellent, thanks for posting.

I know you'll be interested to hear that I've been playtesting this for the past few days and can confirm that although it's a live album it is most definitely a discrete surround sound mix! :banana:

I have been given approval to post a bit more info, which I will do very soon when I have time to write something more cohesive, but I just wanted to say that one one of the tracks which I have been listening to tonight comes very close to being one of the best Prog tracks I have ever heard in surround. Not just best live track, but best track, period. It had quite a profound effect on me on first hearing.

Playtesting more tracks today. The live performances and recording quality are outstanding and the surround mix is already immense.

This has turned out to be a very interactive "play test." I'm currently working with the engineer on ways to make it even better. This is going to be soooo good. :)

I know you'll be interested to hear that I've been playtesting this for the past few days and can confirm that although it's a live album it is most definitely a discrete surround sound mix! :banana:

I have been given approval to post a bit more info, which I will do very soon when I have time to write something more cohesive, but I just wanted to say that one one of the tracks which I have been listening to tonight comes very close to being one of the best Prog tracks I have ever heard in surround. Not just best live track, but best track, period. It had quite a profound effect on me on first hearing.

Sounds great.

Back