Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie SACD surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

QQ Supporter
Just got this one through fleabay.

Sounded too good to be true, and in a sense it is.
Not really surround, more like the fake 'surround' we find all too often, with the rear channels being a modified version of the front ones, mainly for questionable ambience.

The recording itself is clear and sharp, and the extra tracks don't go amiss.

Not sure what sort of 'surround' I was expecting from a 1961 recording eh:eek:

Nice one though...

APSACD9399.jpg

1365_1.jpg
I thought this was SACD Stereo only and that the Multichannel sticker was a mistake???:confused:

But if it is a pure stereo SACD, you don't get anything from the rear channels or the LFE: pure silence.

On this one you do get signal coming out of them, roughly a quieter version of the fronts. Not different enough to warrant as 'ambience' but it is still there.:confused:

Weird...

But if it is a pure stereo SACD, you don't get anything from the rear channels or the LFE: pure silence.
Of course no LFE channel, but you will get subwoofer output if your speakers are set to SMALL.

On this one you do get signal coming out of them, roughly a quieter version of the fronts. Not different enough to warrant as 'ambience' but it is still there.:confused:

Weird...
Hmm. Which of the above pictured discs did you purchase? And is the label in the lower pic a "mistake"? If so, you must be listening to SACD incorrectly to be getting rear channel output out of stereo SACDs.

Do you have pro logic II setting on or some other surround processing setting?

And even if it WAS a multichannel mix, you WOULD want Bill Evans performing live in 1961 to be subtly mixed, not heavy-handed. It's a 3-piece acoustic jazz trio; piano, bass, and drums.

Of course no LFE channel, but you will get subwoofer output if your speakers are set to SMALL.
if the *rear* speakers are set to small, then yes, you'll get some of their signal via LFE.
But on stereo SACDs there is no rear channel signal.

On this one there is.
Hmm. Which of the above pictured discs did you purchase? And is the label in the lower pic a "mistake"?
The 'multichannel' one
I've got dozens of SACDs, stereo or multichannel, as well as DTS and DVD-audio discs, I know what should come out of what channel:D

This one is in no man's land:alienrob:

Ordered this one and an MC "Way Out West" a couple of days ago. Huh. Didn't cost me any more than the standard stereo ones would have, though.

Does it have a stereo hi-rez option? If the MC is annoying, that's the way to go (it's how I play the DVD-A "Breezin'" - the MC mix on that takes a very dry recording and mucks it up with all kinds of reverb).

Off-format, I know, but the entirety of the concerts, restored to their original sequence, is available in a 3-CD box set for under $30 USD. It includes between-song chatter and was remastered beautifully (haven't A-B'd it with the "Waltz for Debby" SACD yet, though). Unless you have a sentimental attachment to the albums as they were originally released, the box is the way to go.

Back