Bill Graves New Member

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billgraves22

I am very happy to join this forum. I am an old hi-fi nut and am thinking about getting into Quad. I have been a 2 channel guy since my dabling in the old Dynaquad in the late sixties. My neighbor has a Sansui QRX 9001 receiver, from the seventies, that he wants to sell. He bought it new and has all the manuals, brochures, etc. with it. The unit looks like new and was wondering if this would be a good thing to try.

I am very happy to join this forum. I am an old hi-fi nut and am thinking about getting into Quad. I have been a 2 channel guy since my dabling in the old Dynaquad in the late sixties. My neighbor has a Sansui QRX 9001 receiver, from the seventies, that he wants to sell. He bought it new and has all the manuals, brochures, etc. with it. The unit looks like new and was wondering if this would be a good thing to try.
Like Gene above, I am a separates guy also. But in the world of quad recievers a working 9001 is a beautiful thing. To get one with all original extras is amazing. There are places to get it tuned up, recapped, etc. I'd say go for it & please keep us informed.

Thank you Gene and Sonic for your input. I have been perusing the site and it looks like I may be getting into something way over my head at this stage of my life. More would have to be added than just the receiver. Any thoughts ?

Thank you Gene and Sonic for your input. I have been perusing the site and it looks like I may be getting into something way over my head at this stage of my life. More would have to be added than just the receiver. Any thoughts ?
All you need are four speakers the QRX9001 does everything else. Excellent enhancement of stereo sources via the Surround mode. Being old it might need service. The most common problems are dirty/oxidized switch contacts. A good contact cleaner or DeOxit should take care of that. Yes recapping wouldn't hurt but might not be an absolute requirement at this stage. IMHO the electrolytics from the seventies seem to far outlast those from the eighties and nineties.

Being your neighbour you can at least ask him to demonstrate it for you to see/be aware of any problems beforehand. Depending on what he is asking it could be a steal of a deal. Some are asking up to 3K on eBay, which is a bit ridiculous.

I personally am also one of those separates guys but the QRX-9001 does everything in one box!

I don't know what stage of life your at but I'm almost 72, and I've always had some kinda surround sound since '72, 1972 that is. the amount that quad/surround sound brings music/movies to life is amazing.

As Ken said all you really need is besides the reciever is 4 speakers (preferably matched) and I'll add the obvious: a program source. Turntable, Blu-ray player, what ever. Not only does the 9001 play quad formats QS/SQ/CD-4 it also does a great job of turning stereo to surround.

I’d probably jump in with both feet! It sounds like a good way to get started, although many people here will warn you that this hobby can become an obsession.

I think you’ll love it.

Not sure what stage your life is in, but I first picked up on quad when I was about 25, which makes it 50 years ago. I assume you already have a turntable, so a second pair of speakers (and no, they don’t have to be identical to the fronts) and wire to get to them, and you’re on the road to addiction.

Over your head? Probably not, although my system will be finished when the funeral parlor carries me out. Expect a lifetime of fun fiddling, upgrading, and glorious listening.

I want to thank everyone for there sincere input and advice. After much discussion with my children, I have decided not to go the quad receiver route. I am 80 and standing on a banana peel,as they say. I am also lucky enough to have some great two channel systems to enjoy ( Infinity RS 2.5's, AR Clasic 18's, Marantz Imperial 7;s and excellent amps and receivers ) till the end. Hopefully the Sansui will go to someone who can enjoy it for decades. If anyone is interested the QRX-9001 unit is on the Los Angeles, CA craigs list site. Again, thank you all sincerely for your help and I will be following you on the forum to continue learning,Bill.

I want to thank everyone for there sincere input and advice. After much discussion with my children, I have decided not to go the quad receiver route. I am 80 and standing on a banana peel,as they say. I am also lucky enough to have some great two channel systems to enjoy ( Infinity RS 2.5's, AR Clasic 18's, Marantz Imperial 7;s and excellent amps and receivers ) till the end. Hopefully the Sansui will go to someone who can enjoy it for decades. If anyone is interested the QRX-9001 unit is on the Los Angeles, CA craigs list site. Again, thank you all sincerely for your help and I will be following you on the forum to continue learning,Bill.
Hey Bill
On one hand I'm disappointed in your decision cuz you'll be missing out on a lot fun. Looking at your equipment above I think your just the type to really enjoy a new audio adventure.

On the other hand my age is why I don't plan on moving to 4K video or ATMOS. I know at a certain point there's nothing for our eyes & ears to do but go down hill. I understand your decision.

On the third hand there's various add on devices intended to wrap around the sound field and give a decent surround effect... using only 2 speakers. The newest of these is the Involve Surround Master with their patented Two Speaker Surround mode. Vintage wise you might look for a JVC Bi-Phonic processor or check into multiple products Carver made called Sonic Holography.

Keep hangin' around the forum. We would all be most happy to help you find some of these alternatives!

Bill, do "children" know best? I think that they should butt out and let you enjoy your "golden years"! If your neighbour is offering you a good deal and you can verify that it is working well then why not? My kids would never try to dissuade me in a similar situation!

You could try Kirk's Dyna suggestion for free, but that is just a stop gap to the real thing!

Anything that old that has been disused might have power supply capacitor troubles.

And any of those system that provide a surround effect with only two speakers produce NO effect at all if you turn so you are facing sideways to it.

I really thank you all for these sugestions. I actually still have a Halfer Quadaptor in the garage someplace that I might try. My concern is the Infinity 2.5's and the others are 4 ohm speakers which could result in a dangerous load for the amps. I have trouble with that in the past ( not good ). But I could setup a small system with some Minimus 7's I have and with a different receiver. I just have to find the stuff in a very messy garage. Will keep you posted, thanks again, Bill.

I actually still have a Halfer Quadaptor in the garage someplace that I might try.

Did you try the Quadapter before (if so, why did you stop using it)?

I set up my Hafler system about 1 year ago (for my bedroom system), I actually like the Hafler created fake surround sound better than Dolby Pro-Logic 2 music mode.

Kirk Bayne

Welcome to the forum, Bill.
You'll find that many of us here are up in age, many in our 70's and started the road into surround music with Quad back in the early 1970's.
I myself had a big honkin' Sansui for a short time but ultimately sold it and kept a big honkin' Kenwood.

But our kids "advising" me on what audio to buy or not? PFFFFFT! Never happen. ROTFL!
My wife might complain, and has tempered my spending, but that does not mean I don't have a fully capable surround audio system to enjoy.

But in the end, do what you feel is best for you to keep enjoying your music!

Hello boondocks, glad to meet you.

My surround journey began about 1972. We had Boise 901 series 1 speakers suspended from the celling at one end of the rectangular living room with all the equipment on the wall behind them. This also included a "Giant 25 inch (I think Zenith color TV" that I taped into for a mono line level signal. I guess this was a home theater system before anyone knew what that was.

I then got a pair of Marantz book shelf speakers to use for the rear with the Dynaco adapter and it worked fairly well on some stereo recordings. Within a couple of years the foam fell out of the Marantz speakers, and I never replaced them. In subsequent homes there as not and ideal configuration to do that for music listening. Now that I do not need to worry about the WAF, I have stuff all over the place and still have trouble setting things up properly
For my TV watching I do have a Sony av receiver a mixture of speakers in a 5.0 setup. I believe it will do some music surround things but never used it for that. I hope this gives yousome background on where I'm coming from, Thanks, Bill.

Hello boondocks, glad to meet you.

My surround journey began about 1972. We had Boise 901 series 1 speakers suspended from the celling at one end of the rectangular living room with all the equipment on the wall behind them. This also included a "Giant 25 inch (I think Zenith color TV" that I taped into for a mono line level signal. I guess this was a home theater system before anyone knew what that was.

I then got a pair of Marantz book shelf speakers to use for the rear with the Dynaco adapter and it worked fairly well on some stereo recordings. Within a couple of years the foam fell out of the Marantz speakers, and I never replaced them. In subsequent homes there as not and ideal configuration to do that for music listening. Now that I do not need to worry about the WAF, I have stuff all over the place and still have trouble setting things up properly
For my TV watching I do have a Sony av receiver a mixture of speakers in a 5.0 setup. I believe it will do some music surround things but never used it for that. I hope this gives yousome background on where I'm coming from, Thanks, Bill.
Yes indeed, I remember the Bose 901 direct/reflecting speakers well, Bill. Nice to hear another persons audio journey from the 70's. I acquired some Quad equipment while still in the Military back then and some later through a friend still on active duty after I left to wait for reserve duty.

If you want to set your system up as a surround system, and your Sony AVR is willing and capable, any number of people here would be happy to help, I would think. Or any other questions you may have. Generally folks here are quite willing to lend a hand and many here have an astounding amount of knowledge about audio equipment.

Tell us the model number of your sony AVR/receiver or any other relevant equipment you have questions about and we can help you along the way if you wish. Post up any questions you like.

Back